Queen's Hotel

Cho45's Profile Photo

Best location in Kandy

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 19, 2014

I have read some negative reviews about this hotel on other travel sites, but when we stayed at this hotel in October 2010, I found it to be quite good, especially its ideal location as it is right next to The Temple of the Tooth (of Lord Buddha) and just across from the scenic Kandy Lake.

The rooms look old fashioned, but comfortable. We had a room on the first floor, and from the balcony we could see both the lake and the Tooth temple. As it is situated right downtown we could even walk to the railway station and most places in the city center. There is a fairly big grocery store within walking distance, and also several fast food restaurants like Pizza Hut and Kentucky Fried Chicken. I preferred to try the local fare, and there were a couple of small places near the hotel offering Sri Lankan food, mainly rice, curry and vegetable dishes. At one of them, a Sri Lankan Elvis look-alike actually served us!

I have a weakness and perhaps a hint of nostalgia, for old colonial era buildings, and this was one of them. These type of hotels relates to me of what must have been the glory days of the British Empire with all its grandeur and history.

There is a very old elevator (or 'lift' as the Brits call it) in the lobby that actually works despite its creaking sound as it goes up and down. I am pretty certain it was part of the original building! You do have the choice of taking the very wide and classical looking staircase. You can also see antique furniture and old photos in the hallways.

The ample buffet breakast which is included with the room rate is filling, and you can help yourself as many times as you like. I was a little disappointed with the 'High Tea' which is held in the bar every afternoon near the swimming pool. I suppose it was because of the relatively cheap price of 450 rupees or about $3.50.

There is a travel agent who has his office on the ground floor. He was directed to us by the staff at the front desk. You can buy various tours from him, but we decided to do our own city tours although we did buy the tickets for the cultural show from him. Incidentally, we could also walk to see this show as its venue was just beyond the Tooth temple. As mentioned above, another of the many advantages of the hotel's suitable location

The only drawbacks I could find about this hotel was every morning at the break of dawn, the flock of birds come out from the trees and make a heck of a racket fluttering their wings and making their bird noise. It wasn't really much of a problem for me though as I have always been an early riser. Oh I almost forgot to mention the monkeys that hang around the lake, but they were not particularly a threat unless you actually try to catch them!

Directions: The hotel is located just across Temple of the Tooth and Kandy Lake in downtown Kandy.

Nilanka's Profile Photo

A Colonial Experience

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 31, 2004

Queens Hotel is right in the middle of the Kandy city and is close to all the main attractins in Kandy.

Unique Quality: Lovely Colonial furniture, Close proximity to restaurants and super markets.

Directions: At the entrance to the Lake

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Kandy Travel Forum

Need advice about Kandy, Sri Lanka? Visit the Travel Forum for Kandy and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Kandy hotel reviews