The Trevene

, Nuwara Eliya, Sri Lanka

More about Nuwara Eliya

Nuwara EliyaNuwara Eliya

One of the areas many waterfallsOne of the areas many waterfalls

Outside terrace at MackwoodsOutside terrace at Mackwoods

Nuwara Eliya - tea pluckerNuwara Eliya - tea plucker

Travel Tips for Nuwara Eliya

tea pickers: and they all come from...

by call_me_rhia

All tea pickers in Sri Lanka come from India - and more in particular from Tamil Nadu. Their family were brought from India by British colonisers between 1820 and 1840 to work on coffee and tea plantations, and their children and grandchildren are still stuck in their ancestors' jobs. Picking tea is hard work: women have to pick 20 kilos of tea leaves a day, yet very few are looking for a better job. Why? It's because these people are still stateless: the are no longer Indian and in many cases not yet Sri Lankan, which means a general lack of right. No right to vote, no right to work officially, no right to obtain state land. So they are stuck in the only job that's available for them.

Tea and chocolate cake

by Poda

Going to Kendy 15km far from Nuwara Elya there is "Lookelville" (I'm not sure about the name) a tea factory where you have a wonderful landscape and where you can have a tea with a lovely chocolate cake.
Try t!!

Devon Falls

by freya_heaven

As mentioned in the intro, there are many waterfalls in this area, with very British sounding names.

This one is Devon Falls which drops 318 feet. It was unbelieveable to fly for 12 hours over thousands of miles to Asia & find a waterfall with the name of the county I live in!

Hill Country

by freya_heaven

The hill country was given this name for a good reason, the roads are so windy with constant hairpin bends being common place.

We were going down one particular steep road, ziz zazzing from one side of the mountain to the other, when I noticed a small boy running down the banks between each level of road, waiting for us & waving with flowers.

It clicked that he obviously wanted us to buy the flowers. So we gave him some money for his efforts & told him to give the flowers to his mother. The poor boy then had to walk all the way back to the top!

They call it Little England?!! LOL

by kentishgirl

Nuwara Eliya is a small town high up in the mountains. I did not spend a lot of time in this town to really review it properly, from what I did see, I liked it, it was pretty, but there was very little to do.

However, do visit - I am glad that I went and I saw it for myself.

Comments