Pottuvil Hotels

Our Members Say

• matmat406 profile photo matmat406
  • Reviews: 6

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Siam View Hotel: Surf, Draught Beer and Thai Food - Paradise !

I stayed there a few times before tsunami, and about a month last year (2008). And I will go back there as soon as I can !
Accomodations: Ranges from budget rooms to fully equiped AC rooms with fridge (my choice), all nice and clean, and about 20 meters from the beach, sleep with the noise of the waves... niccccce!

Food/Drinks: Excellent choice of food, the house speciality is Thai food which is very well cooked by Somlak, the local Thai chief, but don't walk into the kitchen without her autorization or she will take your head off haha ! Also a nice choice of local budget curry for the less fortunate, and a nice choice of "imported" dishes for when you're fed up of jaffles and tuna curries. The beer is probably the best in a Srilankan size radius, all draught, white, brown, red etc. Nothing better after a day of surfing.

The place also has a beahc bar, giant movie screen in the evenings, internet cafe, laundry and money withdrawal facility. They also organize transportation to and from wherever you like.

Clean. Safe. Draught Beer. Thai Food. Beach a step away and lots of cool people. Great parties !

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Beer Tasting, Surfing, Beaches
  • Written April 21, 2009
Tip Photo

• Jeanlyon profile photo Jeanlyon
  • Reviews: 142

Stardust Beach Hotel: Sri Lanka's Danish Secret

This is not 5-star luxury. There is no swimming pool and no hot water. It's clean, friendly, comfortable and the food is to die for! Run by Per and Mareete, a couple of Danes. The menu is exhaustive and I only wish we had been there for more than 2 nights.Their website will tell you much more than I can here - and you can also see the menu. The beach here is lovely. Deserted and clean. You can surf in the medium size breakers. Or you can walk to where the sea enters the lagoon and watch the fishermen.

2007 - I discovered that Per Goodman was killed in the Tsunami but Marete survived with some of the staff on the roof of the hotel. I believe she is still there running the hotel.

The food and the ambience. I just felt like I was at home.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average