Angulugaha, 80000, Sri Lanka
Splendia.com Agoda.com Booking.com

More about Kahanda Kanda

Tasteful Elegance in The Tropics

by TripAdvisor Member IntrepidWoods

If you're looking for chic decor, tranquil elegance and first-class attentive service amidst rice terraces and tea plantations - this is the place for you. Kahanda Kanda boasts an abundance of stylish good taste coupled with plenty of attention to detail with mellow Asian tones that meet Colonialesque grandeur in a shroud of coconut palms.

My boyfriend booked a 9-day stay at KK on spec as a surprise for my birthday so he visibly sighed in pure relief when we arrived - it truly surpassed all our expectations. Caring, ever-smiling staff cater to your every whim while a genial host (owner George) is always prepared to go that extra mile to make each stay special.

Food-wise, a menu of European classics and Thai cuisine can be supplemented with Sri Lankan staples on request. When we ask the chefs to whip up some local food they delivered an exquisite rice and curry banquet. Course after course of traditional dishes arrived in succession - each totally delicious. Our suite (Tamarind) was also perfect and offered magnificent plantation views.

My ultimate indulgence is lazy peacefulness, so I could have stayed at KK for ever. I'd dine each day on a breakfast of mango before lunching on a bowl of fiery coconut soup and enjoying a dinner of Sinhalese okra, curried pumpkin, sweet sambal and popadoms. Monkeys, lizards, parakeets and striped pine squirrels would provide me with all the entertainment I'd need. To be woken each day by the melodic chants of monks across the valley and fall asleep to twinkling fireflies is my idea of paradise. Sublime.

Wonderful relaxed luxury

by TripAdvisor Member Brecanus

Galle itself was full during the Test Match so we were pointed in the direction of KK by our travel agent and what a wonderful find it proved to be - in itself a reason to return to beautiful Sri Lanka! George Cooper is a very urbane host with real knowledge of the area and the customs of the people and with his fabulous well-trained staff
(would that this standard were still to be found in UK!) who all speak
excellent english, worked to make our stay absolutely perfect. Our driver from Colombo got lost so we arrived late - no trouble, the chef
would be pleased to make us a light late supper, we needed transport to the cricket? no problem, there is a rank of safe drivers to call on; we wanted to invite our young relatives, staying in the Fort, to swim and stay to dinner? no problem, they would be fetched and later returned; we wanted to play bridge? no problem, a table would be set up whilst we had dinner; we'd like to tour round the local area? a pleasure to organise it for us. We unwound and relaxed at amazing speed when surrounded by all this care and the comforts of the place are marvellous, all set in surroundings of great beauty and with courteous, helpful smiling people everywhere - pure bliss! The food was delicious too, I picked up my emails at no charge (other places please note!) paid by credit card, so all mod cons but with a special twist and when we discovered we had left something behind it was later
delivered to us at our next port of call, in Galle itself. The Irish have a saying that if you leave something behind it is a sign you hope
to return!

A Dream Location

by TripAdvisor Member Rstanier

Kahanda Kanda has an excellent website www.kahandakanda.com which is well designed to give all the information to please the discerning of travellers. However nothing can prepare the visitor for the impact of the amazing location and pure beauty of this wonderful place.

It may not be the easiest place to find but it is hard to imagine anyone wanting to rush through the stunning countryside that spreads out below Kahanda Kanda’s elevated position. So take your time enjoy the paddy fields and the rich lakeside vegetation and look for the wall with its rather unassuming gateway. The drive starts almost straight away winding its way up between the trees and the carefully groomed rows of tea plants (and if you are lucky some will be in bloom, decked out in minute white flower heads).

After a short sharp climb you will find yourself at the foot of a wide stone staircase flanked by a high saffron coloured wall, the visual axis of this unique group of pavilions reflecting in the lotus ponds and the vast infinity pool beyond. The gardens are an oasis of coolness and tranquillity the far reaching lawns merging into the surrounding plantation and jungle. Superb use has made of this site with the land falling away from the ridge on all sides to provide the most breath taking views.
Others have written at length of the luxury and the wonderful staff, it was the location and the conception of this special place that made the most impression on me.

I was pleased I had my sketch book with me, I had much pleasure in recording the qualities of this place .On returning to the UK and it’s dull wet weather it’s been a heart lifting experience to turn it’s pages, a constant reminder of a lovely few days, I only wish I had made more, but Kahanda Kanda is all about relaxing I certainly succumbed to it’s charm.

I have posted a number of photos, hope you enjoy them.

R. Stanier

A Haven of Tranquility

by TripAdvisor Member TranquilityAsia

Probably the best place we've ever stayed. The food was great, service discreet but excellent, rooms were amazing. Pool was beautiful and felt as though we were the only ones there. It was great to eat in the open sided dining room and it just felt like for a 2 night stay there wasn't enough time to enjoy each relaxing area enough - from the bedroom and balcony to the living area - open air, pool etc.

Hilltop oasis

by TripAdvisor Member StanNorthants

We stayed at KK at the suggestion of our travel consultant and what a superb recommendation. We were lucky enough to be given the Peacock suite which was a stand alone bungalow larger than many peoples' houses. The views from the windows were magnificent over surrounding jungle and Kogalla Lake. The architecture was inspired, the views through each of the numerous windows in the yellow wall a picture in its' own right. The reflections in the fishponds both day and night were amazing. The interior design in all rooms was the epitome of good taste. A very special place to stay

Absolute bliss

by TripAdvisor Member Snarfbeast

My husband took me to KK for my birthday and a bit of relaxation before New year's eve festivities (Dec 30th).

Arriving at KK was like entering a secret paradise: set on a hilltop overlooking tea plantations and lake Kogala it is a testament to George Cooper's sense of style that one feels like one is entering the beloved home of someone of impeccable taste and understated glamour, and that they have been waiting FOR YOU.

Our room (Mango suite) was beautiful and so comfortable - I slept so well that I almost regretted it because it ate into awake time that I could have spent enjoying the pool or going for a walk. Watching parrots fly through the trees from our balcony over breakfast and hearing the eerie cry of peacocks added to the feeling of good fortune and exotic luxury.

The food was absolutely delicious - we had the most wonderful cheesecake - and I hope that one day a cookery book will be made available so we can recreate some of the dishes at home.

I would recommend KK to anyone, I absolutely loved it and am already planning to get back there again as soon as possible. Being there made me feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

Tropical Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member j0hnp

We absolutely loved our stay in this tropical paradise. The striking and modern architecture of the Hotel blends beautifully into it's surroundings, with infinity pool separate dining and seating areas all within an easy walk of the discreet self-contained bungalows. Wonderful views and bird life, a real sanctuary.
The staff could not have been more attentive and the food quite excellent. We have stayed in many hotels around the world and this is definitely one of our most favourite.

Sri Lankan Bliss

by TripAdvisor Member AlexandraLondon

I stayed at Kahanda Kanda during the Galle Literary Festival. In a beautiful position, high in the hills surrounded by tea plantations, the buildings are painted in gorgeous colours, the infinity pool a dream and my room a delight, with an outside shower amongst palms. I could not have been happier.

Splendid - go & experience it!

by TripAdvisor Member MichelleColombo

Fantastic.

Total luxury, seclusion & beautiful vistas and yet all with a home away from home feel due to the friendliness & charm of the staff.

An absolute must!