Club Villa Bentota

eDreams Booking.com Agoda.com

Costs 102% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Bentota

OutsideOutside

Friendly albino green turtleFriendly albino green turtle

Temple near Aluthgama, BentotaTemple near Aluthgama, Bentota

Enjoy the sunsets from the Waterside restaurantEnjoy the sunsets from the Waterside restaurant

Bentota here I come

by sriramlovesmusic

OK I arrive in Colombo by 3 AM on 28th, when I take a bus to Bentota where do I get down? what is a good place to stay which is easily accessible to the beach? How do we commute inside bentota? I have not booked my hotels yet. It would be great if you could suggest budget hotels in bentota! And IS it raining there?

by HansDK

Just get down right after you cross the bridge over Bentota river.

The best places to stay are hotels on the "hotel strip", but they are more upmarket with Lihiniya Surf and Serendib being the cheapest. There are cheaper guesthouses on the land side of the railway (about 150-200 m) from the beach, e.g. Susanthas.

Bentota is a village along Galle Road. You walk around or take a tuk tuk. Nearest town is Aluthgama - just across the bridge over Bentota river.

You can't swim at the beaches at Bentota end October/begin November due to rough seas and strong currents.

It has been raining a lot in recent days.

by sriramlovesmusic

Hey Thanks for the info... I got a confirmation at Induruwa Beach Resort How is the place? This is the address "Kaikawala Induruwa, Bentota" is it after the river? and I feel bad about the no swimming rule cos I was looking out for some water sports in bentota...

by HansDK

Induruwa is about 5 km south of Bentota.

What kind of water sports?

by sriramlovesmusic

water sports like th motor boats, para sailing etc surfing and possibly diving could be looked into as well. To get to Kaikawala Induruwa where do I get off? Ideal Auto charge in LKR? Just want to standardize as I hate being a victim of a rip off... And BTW thanks a million for the initiative and the efforts...

by HansDK

You can do boat trips on Bentota river, also jet skiing, water skiing and canoeing. I have never seen parasailing in Sri Lanka. For surfing and diving you have to go further south to Hikkaduwa. End of October is outside diving season.

Induruwa Beach Resort is on Galle Road. Buses pass by the hotel. Just tell the conductor where you want to get down.

Ideal Auto charge in LKR? Renting car/van with driver for tours or what?

by sriramlovesmusic

Auti as in Auto Rickshaw (tuk Tuk as the British call it). And these Jet ski stuff requires us to get into Bentota City right?

by HansDK

Auti will be an unknown word in Sri Lanka. They call them tuk tuks or 3-wheelers.

I would not call Bentota a city. It's just a village along Galle Road and some hotels.

Water sports (jet skiing) are done on Bentota river. There is a water sports centre just next to Bentota Beach Hotel and more on the Aluthgama side of the river - first road on the left after crossing the bridge.

Travel Tips for Bentota

Make your own itinerary !

by WStat

Besides taking a Tuc-Tuc or a taxi to reach the nearby attractions, a whole round-trip to the cultural triangle in Sri-Lankas "midlands" is strongly recommended.
To get a hassle-free and totally individual roundtrip, up until now I used the excellent services of a Colombo agency, LANKA VACATIONS.
The owners, Mrs and Mr Farook care for very useful proposals and will send you a preliminary itinerary with hotels, attractions etc well in advance. We got always an AC-car with driver and local guide and were able to decide even on the short run about the length and main focus of our daily program.
As an excellent standard-program I and our family did already 3 times I recommend: Bentota-Pinnawela (elephant sanctuary)-Anuradhapura-Aukhana (giant Buddha statue)-Polonaruwa-Sigyria-Dhambulla-Kandy.If time allows, add Mihintale temple near Anuradhapura and consider an extension to Nuwara Elya (tea plantations in the highlands), allow 2 more days.
Last November the whole itinerary as mentioned above took 4-5 days and had been arranged according to our preferences, with excellent hotels, halfboard and all entrance-fees etc. I was charged for 4 nights/5 days around EUR 300,- per person. It was value for money and good service.
Contact Lanka Vacations, att Mrs or Mr Farook:
lankavac@slt.lk

http://www.lankavacations.com/index.html? The serene beauty of the island by the mouth of Bentota River ; walk up to the small temple, sit down and look!

The Waterside Hotel, Bentota

by bentota

"The beautiful Island of Sri Lanka"

My grandparents were married in Sri Lanka in the 1920's, so visiting Sri Lanka was an exciting idea, with thoughts of seeing the lovely countryside I had been told about. I always thought Sri Lanka would be exotic, exciting, with smells of spices, plantations, beautiful tropical countryside and long winding beaches, wildlife like tigers, monkeys and big lizards. I was not disappointed. I stayed in an area called Bentota. This is south of Colombo about 3 hour journey, and can be reached by taxi, train, bus or seaplane. The hustle, bustle and humidity of capital, Colombo, is very disorientating after such a long flight from Europe, however the colours, the tuk tuks swerving in and out of the traffic and the many people bartering in the markets, make this an incredible journey to your destination.

"Bentota, a wonderful place to start your adventure"

I stayed at the Taj Exotica in Bentota the first time, which was a lovely hotel, situated 65kms south of Colombo. The next time I stayed at the beautiful, quiet and much smaller, sophisticated Waterside Boutique Villa, a new hotel in the same area, I thoroughly recommend this one.

The area of Bentota is a wonderful springboard to visit other parts of the country, well situated for all kinds of excursions including day trips to Galle, the Pinnewela Elephant Orphanage or the nearby Turtle Hatcheries. It would be a shame to visit SL without including a full 8 – 11 day tour of the Island, taking in the Cultural Triangle, Kandy, Nuwara Eliyia tea plantation area in the Highlands and Yala National Park on the South Coast. I love the wildlife, so for me a safari with a guide with local knowledge is a must.

Many people visiting are here to get married or enjoy a honeymoon. I couldn't think of a more romantic place with the lovely sunsets, tropical backdrops and warm welcoming people to congratulate you. Relaxing on the beach, by a pool or enjoying a meal under the stars. It isn't always sunny in Sri Lanka. When it rains it pours, however there are plenty of activities to amuse so don't dispair!

"From the Ashes of Disaster Grow the Roses ...."

Bentota was an area affected by the Tsunami in December 2004. It is a haunting memory for many people who lived through this, however I have such admiration for the humble, courageous way the people have picked themselves up and rebuilt their lives.

On the road from Bentota to Galle there is plenty of work still to be done, you may see some sites which require attention. Many charities have worked alongside the people to provide shelter, rebuild schools and provide food and continue to do so. Sometimes you can get involved in projects that are underway which can be very rewarding.

Having met with several individuals who have worked for the charities I realise how much devastation took place and how hard they have worked. When I see the children today, how happy they appear and how special school is to them, makes it more important to maintain and continue the works that have already worked miracles. Getting the schools up and running as swiftly as possible encouraged a message of normality for these children at a very difficult time. Children were provided with uniforms, sports equipment, musical instruments and a food programme set up to ensure nutritional needs were met. The photo shows you one of many families who have survived and flourished.

Comments