Hotel Paradise Island

More about Bentota

The verandahThe verandah

Planting turtlesPlanting turtles

The beach south of Bentota RiverThe beach south of Bentota River

Overlooking the gardens, pool and riverOverlooking the gardens, pool and river

My Blind Date with Sri Lanka

by sriramlovesmusic

I love to travel. And I travel impulsively. I wanted to visit Sri Lanka ever since childhood and now after 27 years I have the opportunity. I have 3 nights and 4 days to spend in the country. My research has lead me to 2 cities Bentota and Colombo. I do understand that there is a forum separately for Bentota however I was thinking a one-stop solution would definitely help. My budget (excluding air fare) is roughly 25000 LKR. I am not a fussy traveler. here are my following questions that will help my quest.
1. From the International airport there is a bus that takes me to a bus stand. Do I have priate/state transport busses that take me to Bentota and a rough cost in LKR?
2. I have a flight that lands at 02:30 Local time and post immigration etc I may be free by 04:0 AM. Is it ideal for me to go to bentota at that time and will there be public transportation available?
3. Will I be able get budget accommodations in Bentota within a price range of 2000 LKR (twin sharing). Please note that I am travelling with my wife (good looking) and I want no trouble where I stay.
4. I am planning 2 days in bentota and 1 day in Colombo. Is that an ideal cost effective plan or coming to Colombo on the 2nd day and staying there makes better sense. Wife likes to shop and we both club too. (28th October - Thursday to 1st November Saturday morning)
5. Which is the central part of Colombo where I could stay and have easy access to shopping/pubs/clubs?
6. Over and above all of this, is 25000 LKR sufficient to conquer my quest?
I love the country and I need your advise...HELP PLEASE

Re: My Blind Date with Sri Lanka

by HansDK

1. There are few direct buses from Katunayake to Matara. These buses pass through Bentota. Otherwise it's bus 187 from Katunayake to Colombo and then bus 400 to Aluthgama (or any bus - 2, 32, 60 - going further south). Rough cost per person: AC bus LKR 200, non AC bus LKR 120.

2. Buses are running all night, bus less frequent than during daytime.

3. Hardly. Count on minimum double that amount. When I checked about 6 months ago: Goldi Guesthouse/Hotel Ocean Breeze (just behind Taj Exotica) - not a nice place - was Double room BB Non-AC LKR 2,500 - AC LKR 3,500. Southern Palm Villa Hotel (just behind Taj Exotica) was Double room BB AC LKR 4,000. Hotel Susanthas (next to Bentota Railway station) was Double room BB from LKR 3,900 + 10% Service Charge.

5. Bambalapitiya - Kollupitiya - Fort.

6. Depends on what kind of shopping like to do. Clubbing in Colombo is not cheap.

Travel Tips for Bentota

Summer in Sri Lanka's southwest-coast

by WStat

Hi Molly,
find below some remarks about "summer in Bentota"- I found in my favorite hotels information-material. It is very close to Bentota Beach Hotel, so their comments are valid for both hotels:
"In Sri Lanka, our experience has been that even during the time of the European summer i.e. from May to October, there is ample sunshine on the Southwest coast. However, the monsoon season does lead to some limitations. We are very happy to inform you of these.

We have two seasons in Sri Lanka that one could describe as the sunny and the rainy season. There are also short transitional seasons that we call inter-monsoon seasons. As a rule, these are in May and October and tend to last for about one month. During these times, the wind directions change from East to West and vice versa. These are times of unstable weather when there are great thunderstorms and heavy rain showers. The months from June to September are very sunny months. Only in the late afternoon and at night there are cooling rain showers.

Overall, the monsoon season sees the humidity increase and the sea level rise taking away part of our beach. Diving is rarely possible due to the rough sea although water sports such as water skiing, surfing or boating can be recommended at any time on the Bentota river that meets the sea in front of our hotel."
I've been to Sri lanka's westcoast several times;usually rain is no problem in June, but swimming in the sea is not everywhere to be recommended!
Have fun and a good trip to beautiful SL ! Nice and friendly people, a wonderful tropical scenery and gorgeous beach.Many interesting cultural sights.

Bentota

by freya_heaven

" Bentota"

Bentota is a beach resort on the West Coast of Sri Lanka, It is a good area for diving, windsurfing, relaxing, Turtle Hatcheries etc. Also as a base to explore the rest of the country, which you MUST do!

(~_~)

" Brief House & Gardens"

My Bentota page is mostly about the Beautiful Brief House & Gardens. I hope you can appreciate through my photos how lovely it is there, If you are staying on the west coast of Sri Lanka, It is definately a "must see" place to visit.

" Brick Makers"