Serendib Hotel

Costs 111% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Serendib Hotel

Sri Lanka Page

by TYCOON007

"To me the beauty of Ceylon lies not so much in its blue seas and golden beaches, its jungles and its mountain peaks, as in its ancient atmosphere. There is no nation, from Egypt of the Pharaohs to modern Britian, in whose literature this island has not at some time been mentioned by one or other of its many names -- Lanka, Serendib, Taprobane, Cellao, Zellan, to recall a few. History lies buried in its sands, and ghosts of romance lurk among its bastioned rocks, for Lanka is very, very old."

- D. J. G. Hennessy, GREEN AISLES, 1949

Birthday celebrations in Sri Lanka

by jalamorchid

I've just returned from a great trip to Sri Lanka with my boyfriend and our 6 year old son. We went to celebrate my birthday and had a fantatsic time.

We stayed in Bentota at a hotel called Serendib, which was overlooking the beautiful Bentota beach. Great hotel with very friendly staff who were particularly lovely to our son!

Whilst there, we went on a 3 hour boat trip to the mango groves where we saw lots of monitor lizards and kingfishers. Our lovely boatman made me a necklace from a lotus flower that he plucked from the water! We also visited the turtle hatchery in Kosgoda where we saw 1 day old turtles - very cute!

We made an epic 5 hour journey to the elephant orphanage near Kandy. The journey itself was a bit of an adventure. A wonderful guy called Tuerni was our guide/driver and we stopped off at a rubber plantation, a pineapple shop and a cashew place along the way. After the elephant orphanage we went on an elephant safari which was great fun and then stopped off at a spice garden where we were treated to a massage. Great trip but really exhausting!

Classic Ceylon

by trisanna

Sri Lanka is a diverse country. From the peaceful grasslands, where wild elephants live to the hectic city pace of Colombo. It's hard to imagine that in the north of the country-there is a stretch of desert. For almost ten years, the government and the tamil tigers have been at peace. Hopefully this will continue, since it will bring better economic stability to the country thru tourism and business.

We concentrated our trip on the cultural triangle, where Sri Lanka's ancient capitals area. Now UNESCO heritage sites. We didn't visit tsunami hit areas, but it's obvious that the lack of tourists is affecting everyone.

Sri Lanka is made up of a few different ethnic groups. There are the Sinhalese, who are priimarily Buddhist. The Tamils arrived in Sri Lanka around 2,000 years ago, originally from south India or Tamil Nadu. The majority of the hindu population is concentrated in the northern city of Jaffna. Besides the Buddhists and Christians-there is a sizable Muslim population. Beautiful and ornate mosques are located in Colombo and Kandy.

Through time, Sri Lanka went through many historical and name changes. From Serendib to colonial Ceylon to the Independent country of Sri Lanka.

4th b.c.-10th century a.d. Reign of the first capital of Sri lanka-the city of Anuradhapura. Located in the northern central part of the country, this capital suffered many invasions from India, due to various religious differences.

1253-1400 the capital is moved to Polonnaruwa. Suffered attacks by Chinese

1505-Portuguese arrive

1658- Portuguese leave, Dutch take over.

1796-Dutch leave, British take over.

1815- The British have full control of Sri Lanka. Before this, Kandy was an independent state.

1948-Ceylon becomes an independent member of the British commonwealth. Now known as Sri Lanka.

I adore Sri Lanka!

by bangkokjim

"magical Sri Lanka"

I first have to tell you that I have long time, very close Sri Lankan friends whom I consider my family, and they accept me as part of their family. I see and experience Sri Lanka not as a tourist but like a family member. Staying in their modest home, travelling in their van, sleeping once at a beggar's home, and at different relatives along the way- If I were to look up the word "enchanting" I would see Sri Lanka next to it. The Arabs called it Serendib ( Serendipity) long ago. I loved going to the hill station towns of Nuwara Eliya and staying at a manor house made of teak. I felt like a prince!
A day safari at YALA national park is a must but be careful of the elephants!
Kataragama is a fun place where the people are laid back ( and my friend and I had a fun chance to catch up with our "special" cigarette smoking there!)- Sigiriya and Polonarruwa are nice places to see historic Buddhist interests. People are so kind and when you are walking past their house they invite you inside for a small chat and something to drink, sometimes to eat at a wedding or funeral ( white flags across the street poles near the home)- there are SO many different places to see on the island - I find myself returning again and again and call it one of my homes!
In the future I want to find a small SIMPLE stone cottage in the misty quiet village somewhere in the highlands and go there for fun private parties and to relax as well as soaking up the local Sri Lankan flavour and colour!

Sri Lanka

by zafilm

"Colombo"

Sri Lanka possesses a written history of over 2,000 years and an unwritten history of over 125,000 years attested to by archaeological ruins and other evidence, of more than 125,000 years on the island of Heladiva ('Sri Lanka') Historical chronicles are found in stone writings ('sel lipi'), leaf writings ('Hela Atuva') and also in great Indian chronicles as Mahabharata and the Ramayana. The main historical written evidence is the Mahavamsa, also including Dipavamsa & Chulavamsa . The island presently known as 'Sri Lanka' was originally known as 'Sinhale' or 'Heladiva'

The first Europeans to visit Sri Lanka in modern times were the Portuguese: Francisco de Almeida arrived in 1505, finding the island divided into seven warring kingdoms and unable to fend off intruders. The Portuguese founded a fort at the Muslim port city of Colombo in 1517 and gradually extended their control over the coastal areas. In 1592 the Sinhalese moved their capital to the inland city of Kandy, a location more secure against attack from invaders. Intermittent warfare continued through the 16th century.

For a small island, Sri Lanka has many nicknames: Serendib, Ceylon, Teardrop of India, Resplendent Isle, Island of Dharma, Pearl of the Orient. This colourful collection reveals its richness and beauty, and the intensity of the affection it evokes in its visitors.

To top it all off, the people are friendly, the food is delicious and costs are low.

Fighting between the Sri Lankan government and the LTTE (Tamil Tiger) faction is intensifying. Areas north of Puttalam, Anuradhapura and Nilaveli, as well as the eastern side of the island south of Trincomalee, including Batticaloa, Arugam Bay and Ampara are unsafe for travellers. The southern city of Galle has also been bombed. Pockets of the northern and eastern areas are heavily mined as is the A9 road to Jaffna. The security situation in the Jaffna Peninsula remains uncertain.

Hotel recommendations- Colombo, Galle, Kandy

by batgirl1001

I plan to visit Sri Lanka in June this year and I am wondering if there is any cheap budget accommodations in the city/town above.

Somewhere within the range of $30-50 would be alright as I don't want to spend a lot since I don't plan to sit in my room all day.

I checked on the internet and the majority of the hotel listings are generally expensive given that it is a developing country.

Thanks,

RE: Hotel recommendations- Colombo, Galle, Kandy

by Whystical

I stayed in a YWCA in Colombo, it's basic accomodation but it's a safe place and the people are really friendly. Check out the Lonely planet guide for details for YWCAs and YMCAs. In Kandy we stayed at Spica Holiday Home which was a little way away from Kandy Lake but it's a nice walk, though walking up hill in the heat is not so good but the view from their garden is remarkable. It's on the internet, on websites like Bootsnall.com and other hostel websites. In Kandy there is a huge range of accomodation so when you get there you might find a place to keep in mind if you happen to go back to Sri Lanka about.
Hope this helps.

RE: Hotel recommendations- Colombo, Galle, Kandy

by Nilanka

Hello,

There are quite a few places that will fit your budget. Let me know once you have a firm programme in mind and I can help yuo make some bookings.
Colombo - Indra Regent
Kandy - HillTop
Bentota - Hotel Serendib
All of these hotels are 3* and if you book from here you can get cheaper prices. The internet prices are for tourist so it has nothing to do with developing countries.

Cheers
Nilanka

by batgirl1001

Thanks heaps guys! I will definitely check out those places. It's great to know that are decent accommodations for budget conscious travellers. Looking forward to Sri Lanka already!

by alycat

Gr8 info bout acco. in SL. Thnx batgirl for putting in the query one and all others for replying. I think I jus need to grab a copy of Lonely planet soon. Im traveling alone to SL, may be in August or October, anyone wanna join me!!

Thnx a lot.

by eranda

you can find a safe , economical hotels easily in sri lanka, please give the prioraty for the safe okey...

getting married at serendib

by Laurenedith

I would really like to hear from anyone who has or anyone who knows someone who has gotten married at the serendib. We booked last week for next May but I'm beginning to have second thoughts as I keep hearing how great the Eden is and I'm thinking of upgrading, does the Eden have a private and secure beach as beach boys would e a real pain? We wanted a none-conveyor belt experience.

Thanks

by DAVIDJSTOCKWELL

Hi
I cannot comment on either hotel as i have not stayed at them, had dinner at Eden one night which was excellent tho!
Private beaches?, very few, if any hotels in Sri Lanka have private beaches, so it would very difficult to keep beach boys/sellers away, however, all hotels do have security that will keep them away from the hotel grounds.
On a personal note, i have always found a polite, but firm "no thank you" will be sufficient to stop them bothering you.
Hope this is a little help.
Regards
Dave

by Treshi

Hi There,

I say the Eden would be a better deal out of the two hotels suggested by you. Serendib is an ok hotle but Eden will stand out more in their facilities and the hotel enviornment. I m sure you will enjoy Eden better..

Regards.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

by dawnandash

Go with your gut feeling.....we got married at neptune hotel, with family staying at eden hotel. We got better deal as all inc, Eden is B & B or half board, Serendib is a very nice small hotel, with a real Sri Lankan feel, we or our family didn,t feel the same about Eden, although it is very clean & gardens/pool area is nice. Good luck......

accommodation in bentota

by saurabhjj

Am reaching colombo at 2am, want to go to bentota from there and stay there till 27 afternoon, after which i want to come back to colombo, please suggest some accomodation place and mode of transport from colombo and back

Re: accommodation in bentota

by B.david

You can try Serendib Hotel in Bentota. The accommodation rates are quite nominal and it offers great views of the Indian Ocean.

Comments