Galle Hotels

Our Members Say

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1826

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Galle Centre Home.: Brand new and brilliant.

I am not sure I should even post this tip as the establishment I am going to write about is going to get so popular and I am not sure I shall be able to get a reservation if I return!

On arrival in Galle I had decided to walk to my guesthouse as it was only a short distance from the station and managed this with luggage in about 15 minutes, although a tuktuk should only cost 100SLR from either the train or bus station, which are adjacent. I had memorised my map (no technological GPS stuff for me, I couldn't use it anyway) and was slightly unsure of what to make of the pretty rough unpaved track that I encountered. Still, dragging the no longer rolling rollalong down the lane I came on what looked like a rather large private house although the sign for the English School confused me even further. When I walked in and saw all the paraphernalia of education I was quite sure I had the wrong place but I shouted a hello anyway.

A lady appeared from the back and welcomed me warmly. This turned out to be Marga, the delightful Dutch lady who runs the place with her Sinhalese partner Eranda who is equally wonderful. She spoke to me in perfect English as most people do and this is a good thing as she is indeed an English teacher here. Allow me to explain. The couple had taken the premises to run the school but as it has about seven bedrooms they decided to maximise the space and live downstairs whilst letting out the upstairs room. They had started to do this on 27th December 2013 and I had arrived just less than a month later so it really is a new venture and obviously not in any guide books yet although they do have an online presence.

After the formalities Eranda showed me upstairs along a delightful verandah and into the spacious and beautifully appointed living area you can see in one of the images. The five bedrooms lead off, each door being designated by it's own little symbol. I was in the chilli room which suited me nicely. I was shown to mine which was simply but very tastefully furnished as you can again see. It was a fan room which I prefer to air-con anyway as air-con tends to give me a bad throat. There is no TV but there is a large one in the communal area although I never saw it switched on the whole time I was there. People tend to sit around and chat or go online for which purpose there is a fast wifi connection that works all over the premises.

A quick further tour revealed the two wetroom shower / toilets and the kitchen which is equipped with a fridge and kettle but no cooker. The owners don't really want people cooking here although you are welcome to bring your own food back and consume it. There are tea and coffee making facilities.

A word about the bathrooms. There is one double room that has an en-suite but the rest of the rooms use the two facilities mentioned. I should mention that the friendly staff keep them spotless and as there are only a potential seven people using them I never had to wait for one.

The whole establishment really feels like staying at a friends home and that is what you are effectively, in someone's home. As it is a home, smoking is not allowed indoors but it is pleasant to sit with a cup of tea and a cigarette on the verandah and watch the many little squirrels scampering about on the powerlines or the sun coming up over Galle.

English or Sinhalese breakfasts are available at a cost of $4US although it is not a meal I usually take so I cannot comment on that.

The situation is very central although the off-road position ensures that traffic noise is never a problem. I used to walk everywhere in town and the Fort area, which is the major attraction in town is easily reached in 15 minutes. Should you want, Eranda can get you a tuktuk whose driver isn't going to rip you off. Coming from further afield, airport pickup is available at a cost of $70.

You can bring you own alcohol here although none is served. Should you wish to go out and not go as far as the Fort there are two excellent hotel bars a short wander up the hill.

One little anecdote may serve to summarise the type of place this is.I had been extending my stay on a more or less daily basis as I was enjoying the accommodation and the city so much and on the last night due to some computer issue or another Marga asked me very nicely if I would mind changing rooms for that night and coming downstairs to stay in her personal guest room (not usually let out). No problem as I was probably partially the cause of the problem anyway and I was given a lovely en-suite single and encouraged to use the owners personal kitchen if I wanted to make tea or coffee.

That is the sort of place it is, clean, friendly, comfortable and laid back. It really does deserve to succeed and I have no doubt that it will.

Highly recommended.

The unique quality is that you are actually staying in a lovely private home.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written February 8, 2014
Tip Photo

Living area, Galle Centre Home, Sri Lanka.

• cachaseiro profile photo cachaseiro
  • Reviews: 1924

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beachhaven Galle.: Stay with wonderful Mrs Wijenayake.

This little guest house is one of those places i like love.
This is run by Mrs Wijenayake and her family and they have had the place since 1968 and are really nice.
It's a small simple guest house, but the rooms are really clean and nice have exactly what i am looking for at a guest house.
It's a very homey place as the resption of the guest house is the living room of the family and you will mostly find Mrs Wijenayake or her daughter sitting in the couch there ready to help their guests.
Mrs Wijenayake is former deputy mayor of Galle and a very educated and well travelled lady who i really enjoyed chatting to while i was there.
She told me how she had also hosted Tone wheeler when he wrote the first Lonely Planet Sri Lanka guide, but she was only aware of it after he had left, but he came back later to stay there again just like i do, cause this is one friendly place.
They have various types of rooms depending on your needs.
Some have en suite bathroom and some not and some are upstairs with a balcony.
I was happy to stay downstairs and had a room with my own bathroom for the very fair price of 2000 rupees.

Nice and clean and you feel welcome there.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written November 30, 2012

My room.

• mikeschafly profile photo mikeschafly
  • Reviews: 4

Seagreen Guesthouse: New Guesthouse at Galle - Fort

The Seagreen Guesthouse was newly built in 2009 and opened as a guesthouse in January 2010. It offers 5 very clean and big rooms. Some of the rooms are airconditioned.
The owner is very friendly and helpfull and is always willing to give you any information you need - he´s fluent in English and German. We have spent some very funny evenings with him!!!
Our room with seaview was always clean and the best thing about it was the huge bed with a very big matress - I had a great sleep!!!
We have spent some nice hours on the big rooftop balcony, had a sunbath, watched the sun going down into the sea... a very calm and relaxing time.
The busstand and the railway station are just 5 minutes walking distance - ideal to make daytrips!
As the guesthouse is situated in the ancient Fort of Galle, there are many things to see and to explore. Perfect stay - nothing bad about it!

- phantastic view

- very clean room
- friendly owner
- beautiful and calm

• Written September 6, 2010

• paddy.noble profile photo paddy.noble
  • Reviews: 2

Fort Printers: Fort Galle's best boutique Hotel

This is the cutest, most interesting and perfectly located boutique hotel in Galle Fort. The accommodation is different in every room. Having been many things, including a school, the Fort Printers has named its rooms...Headmasters, Arts, Geography, History and Prefects. Secluded, quiet, comfortable, lovely pool, a chef who is a master at his game...friendly smiley faces to greet you always, it is the perfect place to stay for a bit of comfort. Situated in the Galle Fort area of Galle, you can sample Sri Lankan lifestyle at a gentle pace, shop in good shops and walk the walls of the ancient fort to witness the most spectacular sunset.
You will be guarenteed a wonderful welcome, comfort and everything you need if you chose the Fort Printers and the manager Mr Warne is a gem, he is very helpful, nothing is too much trouble and he will ensure that all your requirements, comforts and needs are met.

Small, intimate, cool, close to all the attractions and sights of Galle Fort, comfortable and stylish. Pool is perfect for cooling off after an outing...and drinks and the most amazing Chocolate Flourless Cake, unbelievable. Did not want to leave!!!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Food and Dining, Photography
  • Written June 3, 2009

Quaint front exterior

• alycat profile photo alycat
  • Reviews: 436

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paying guest accomodation: Paying guest accomodation

I had booked this accomodation online and with directions and confirmation in my hand, I went straight at the doorstep from the railway station. The house is situated inside the Galle Fort, which is just opposite the train station, the tuk tuk driver took Rs. 50 to drop me here.

It was a big old house and I had an old Muslim couple sharing it with me. Conviniently located close to the shore where you can while away your time in the eve seeing the sunset. I was served breakfast which included tea and sandwich, and also a delicious Sri Lankan snack in the form of a roll made of fish...yummy. I had to pay a lil extra cash for the breakfast, which was quite negligible.

Call him up in advance to book a room for yourself.

The best way to experince Galle or for that matter any place, is to stay with the locals. And if you get a helpful owner like I did, then it makes the stay all the more pleasurable and fun. And its very cheap, I gave about Rs 2000 for a 3 day stay.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Archeology
  • Written December 28, 2006

Time For Breakfast

• jungles profile photo jungles
  • Reviews: 327

Beach Haven Guesthouse: A wonderful guesthouse

This long-established, family-run guesthouse has been operating since 1968 and is housed in a lovely large colonial building in Galle Fort. Upstairs rooms with balcony go for Rs 800 with shared bath or Rs 1000 en suite. Rooms have ceiling fan, mosquito net, and towels, and showers have hot water. From the roof there is a nice view of the Meeran Jumma Masjid, the lighthouse, and the red-tiled roofs of nearby buildings. Food is available on request but is a bit pricy at Rs 450 per person for rice and curry. They don't pay commission to tuk-tuks, so your driver might try to convince you to go somewhere else, or just take you somewhere else and tell you it's Beach Haven. To avoid this you can either skip the tuk-tuk and walk (it's about 10 minutes from the station) or tell the driver to take you to Lighthouse Lodge, which is just across the street.

• Related to: Backpacking, Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written May 24, 2006

View from the roof

• Charlie_UK profile photo Charlie_UK
  • Reviews: 90

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Koggala beach hotel: On the beach and in the sun

Excellent beachfront facilities, but the rooms were a little on the minimalist side. Food was a bit hit and miss, entertainment was a bit miss-and-miss, the local magician's reportoire being along the lines of "Now you see it, now I've thrown it out the window." Well stocked bars but as elsewhere in Sri Lanka a great fuss is made about having receipts for everything and change takes a long time to collect. This makes buying a drink into a martial art. Also beware cats and dogs running around, although this is often the fault of the tourists for feeding them. You never know what they are carrying, but rabies is not unknown.

The above tip was accurate at the time of writing. The hotel was right on the beach and would have taken the full force of the tsunami. I was in South Africa at the time with the same people as I was here and their contacts advised up to 35 of the staff were lost.

Literally a stone's throw from the Indian ocean, where the surf thunders in night and day, beautifully warm water and golden sands combining with open air swimming pools and palm trees. Lots of tuk-tuk drivers outside if you need a taxi.

Rememeber, after the tsunami people will not have just needed food, tents etc. They will need to rebuild lives and livelihoods, so if you get the chance don't hesitate to go - your tourist money will be just as vital in the rebuilding process.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written January 6, 2004
Tip Photo

View from my room doorway

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful