Villa Lighthouse

More about Hikkaduwa

Hotel Francis - HikkaduwaHotel Francis - Hikkaduwa

Refresh Restaurant - HikkaduwaRefresh Restaurant - Hikkaduwa

Cinnamon Garden Hotel - HikkaduwaCinnamon Garden Hotel - Hikkaduwa

View from the front roomsView from the front rooms

trip with 2 small children

by rosjeal

Hi
We are planning our first trip to sri Lanka next Jan with our 2 children who will be 4 and just under 2 and are planning to stay in Hikkaduwa for the main part of it. Can anyone tell me what the mosquitos are REALLY like? I've read all the official travel advice and it all sounds a bit worrying - especially as the repellants with DEET in are not recommended for use on under 2s.
Also, we'd love to break our journey back up to Colombo and the airport somewhere - to see a bit of inland Sri lanka. i'm particularly interested in a place called Ella and a guesthouse called Ambiente Guesthouse. Firstly, can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it would take to drive from Hikkaduwa to Ella and then from ella back to negombo / Colombo? Secondly, has anyone got any better / more suitable alternatives?
ANY advice about a holiday to Sri lanka with two little ones would be really appreciated too!
Thanks ever so much
Ros

Re: trip with 2 small children

by carol-henwood

Hi
My reply to you is regarding the mosquito's. I went to Sri Lanka in March. We(group of 4)all had the usual lotions and potionsand wrist bands, deet free included. We found that the best repelent was covering up at night. Our group all suffered the nip of the mosi. Not one repellent was more effective than another. They all did their job to a certain extent but some mosi's were more determined than the others.I have not yet found a repellent that is 100% effective. I would take a good after bite soulution as well as the repellent.

Hope you have a good holiday (Sri Lanka is a wonderful country)

Regards
Carol

Travel Tips for Hikkaduwa

Surfing - No swimming here!

by kentishgirl

Hikkaduwa was a beautiful beach, 30 mins around the headland from Galle. It was a realatively quiet place, the hotels are quite spread out along the beach, nearly everything here is new and modern, having been rebuilt since the Tsunami.

The beach is so wide with clean sands.

The main road is so busy, but perfect to take a bus elsewhere when you are ready to leave.

After swimming in the sea in Unawatuna I was not prepared to come here and not be able to swim, the seas are pretty rough - perfect for surfing and body boarding though!

HIKKADUWA

by Pakistaniguy

"A Sri Lankan Beach Resort"

Tuesday, 19.08.2003:

I woke up in the morning in my Orient Hotel in the capital of Sri Lanka - Colombo. I directly went to the station because i was afraid of missing my train to southern beach city of Hikkaduwa. but Thanks to Allah that i was in time. I did some 'food shopping' :-) because i knew that i can't survive without eating anything as a breakfast and for enjoying the trip to Hikkaduwa it was important that i am not hungry ;-) hehehe...

After 10 mins wait, Sri lankan train arrived on the platform. Colombo train station is very small (and unfortunately a bit too dirty) so u shouldn't worry about 'finding the platform' ! Anyways, i had a ticket of the 'Third Class' in train, it was the cheapest and about 40 SLRs. It was first time in my 'Life' that i was going to travel in third class of any train. The platform was crowded and as the train stopped everyone rushed to the doors of the train and everyone inside the train wanted to be the first to come out of the train. so, it was a bit of a 'struggle' going on for 10 mins. Outsiders pushing in and insiders pushing out ! something very interesting ;-) The reason was that there was no seat assignment and there were less seats and more people so everybody wanted to get a seat. After watching these people for 20 sec's i realised this reason and also started to make my way in the train.

Finally after the application of the rule of the fittest, i was able to get a seat in the train. The train started just 5 mins late. The train started and i started noticing and realising where i was ! The part of the train where i was sitting had nothing except the long side ways seats on both side. It even had No Toilets !!! :-( Thanks to Allah that i received no Nature's Calls otherwise there was no option for me except to leave the train on the next station ;-)

The train was passing through the Colombo city and it was a working day in Colombo so i was able to see the life in Colombo :-) After 3 mins it stopped at a station which was just on the beach ! and when the train resumed its journey towards hikkaduwa, there were some magnificant scenes of the Indian Ocean streching till the horizon.

It was a long journey. Longer than what i was told. Longer than what i expected. I also had to change a train in 'Alutgama', which nobody told me before even not the ticket officer. Ahhhh ! The journey upto Alutgama was 2.5 hours and from there to Hikkaduwa it was 1.5 hours. It was not at all pleasing but whenever i use to look outside the train the view was really something special. A clear sunny day, Blue Sky and dark blue water of the Indian ocean,Tall coconut trees, sandy beaches, lush green villages and villagers busy in their work. so, after 4 hours of 'uncomfortable' travel i reached Hikkaduwa. I immediately decided either i won't travel in train or i shall travel in a bit better class of the train. But unfortunately i came to know that the train going to Colombo was not after a lot of time. so i decided to throw my ticket and train a bus on the way back from Hikkaduwa to Colombo.

I walked out of the train station and there were a few taxi drivers and others who started offering me a taxi, hotel, cruise in the sea, etc. etc. I would strongly suggest 'Never' listened to them and never show them that you are afraid of them ! I just walked and completely ignored them. I didn't even know where i was walking towards but i just wanted to reach the main area or u may call city or town center so i trusted my intutions and continued. I didn't want to show these people that i am here for the first time. Thanks to allah everything was fine and i reached the main area of the town. There was a main road known as the Colombo - Galle Road. It was coming from Colombo from the north, and going to the southern ex-portugese city of Galle in the south. I asked one of the shop keepers to recommend the best hotel of Hikkaduwa and they all recommended Corel Garden Hotel. They also helped me in my directions and it was due to their help that i easily reached Corel Garden Hotel. This was just 5 mins drive from the main city towards the south (Galle), on the Colombo - Galle road.

It was a good decision to reach here. I enjoyed everything here from the beaches to the food. I didn't stay here for the night but they didn't mind it and offered me whatever i wanted. The food was good and i even left my bags for sometime there at the pool because i wanted to go to the beach. It even had a lot of money but it was safe !

Woke up at 10.17 a.m
checked out at 10.45 a.m
Reached Railway Station at 11.00 a.m
Got the train at 11.15 a.m
Arrived in Hikkaduwa at 14.40 p.m
Relexed at hotel Corel Garden and went to the beach.
Bought some postcards and wrote them there.
Got a bus for Colombo at 18.42 p.m
Arrived in Colombo at 21.15 p.m at Galle Road.
Walked along the beach.
Took a tuk tuk to Nippon hotel where i was staying.
Took my bags and repacked them.
Wanting to have a dinner from a nice place.
Took another tuk tuk to Creature D?liFrance.
Everything was closed !
Walked to Colombo Plaza Hotel for the dinner.
After the dinner, took a tuk tuk and arrived at the airport in 50 mins.

I took a lot of photos there, which i have some in the travel tips. You may continue now with the travel tips about Hikkaduwa. If you are planning a trip to Hikkaduwa and require any other tips, suggestions or guidance please feel free to email me. Feel free to offer your comments, rating and feed back, they means a lot to me.

Thank you for visiting my Hikkaduwa page.

Greetings from Pakistan,