Kataragama Hotels

• Maxus profile photo Maxus
  • Reviews: 184

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Ceylon Bank: Staying in Kataragama

Most of the accommodation in down-town Kataragama is not geared towards foreigners (lots of sleeping halls for groups of pilgrims) and lots of tourists stay down towards Tissa.

On this trip we headed north via Buttala to Haputale and stayed there (which I can thoroughly recommend) but I’ve stayed in Kataragama in the past for the morning purga and it’s been interesting.

There is no meat or alcohol in Kataragama proper by the way and you will need a mozzy net.

For a reasonable guest house try the Bank of Ceylon Hotel on Main St (which does good food) I read that you are supposed to book this place in advance, we didn’t and we got a decent room.

I have also stayed at the Kataragama Rest House, which was also fine so if you have a problem with the Bank of Ceylon Hotel, try here.

A little outside the town is the more upmarket Rosen Renaissance Hotel and Sri Lankan friends recommend the Jayasinghe Holiday Resort but I have never tried either.

Two years ago we booked by telephone into Sunil’s Rest (recommended in Lonely Planet) but when we arrived they had given our rooms away, which was a bit of a nuisance because it was already dark so I won’t recommend there.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Religious Travel, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written January 31, 2009

• kentishgirl profile photo kentishgirl
  • Reviews: 1390

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bank Of Ceylon Hotel: Cheap clean accommodation

We were only in Kataragama for one night, but our accommodation here was great. We arrived by bus from Ella and walked along the main street. This hotel is located on the main street left out of the bus station.

Well located for the town centre and a ten minute walk to the Kataragama temple complex.

There are security guards at the main entrance and very helpful staff on reception.
The hotel is a large grassy complex, and our room was on the first floor with a balcont looking over the gardens. We had our own bathroom and the room had a fan, twin beds and mozzie nets. It was clean and spacious.

The restaurant was well priced with a set menu of local Sri Lankan food - which was amazing!

We noticed that the clientele was predominatley local, we were the only foreign tourists staying.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written April 11, 2007
Tip Photo

Bird from our balcony in Kataragama

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful