Matara Hotels

Our Members Say

• iroshank profile photo iroshank
  • Reviews: 3

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ravana Ridge Polhena: A Great Sea Front Hideout

I loved my period of stay with my spouse at Ravana ridge with salty chilling sea breeze and the picturesque view of the Indian ocean. Excellent Staff and Service with Delicious dishes made by Mrs. Pushparani, an experienced Italian and Sri lankan Culinary expert.Rooms are pretty well maintained, well finished. What i love the most is the Fine Italiana coffee sitting on the bench after the meal. Not much of a garden they are still working on that. Good place, Nice People

Magnificent View of The Indian Ocean with the Cold Salty Sea Breeze. Perfect for some Espresso with Free Wireless Internet and Also Candlelight Italian Dining. Very Personalized Experience. Great for Relaxation..

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Beaches, Food and Dining, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written April 24, 2011

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Let's go upmarket

The Lalitha is an upmarket hotel on the Galle Road which has been open a little over a year, it is increasingly popular with visitors from the Netherlands, who can be a discerning lot and know what good looks like.

As you can see from my photo, it doesn’t look much from outside but inside it’s a veritable oasis, their website uses the same poetic license as any hotel but in terms of decor, facilities, restaurant and service etc it is at least as good as anywhere in Matara except that it’s nowhere near the beach.

I liked the staff who did their very best to maintain a professional detachment but kept letting their warm and friendly nature shine through.

• Related to: Road Trip, Food and Dining, Business Travel
Tip Photo

The photo doesn't do the place justice

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apartment in Polhena: Long Term Let

Mr Wickramaratne has turned the upper floor of the house in the picture into a self-contained apartment and it is available to rent for periods of a few weeks to as long as you want.

I didn't stay here but Lal showed me round and I would consider staying if I wanted a base in the area. It's literally a minute walk from the beach but is quiet and private. If you are interested give him a ring or call in and see him, details below.

It's your own place.

• Related to: Study Abroad, Work Abroad

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Emerald Bay Inn, Polhena: The longer I stayed the less I wanted to leave

The Emerald Bay isn’t right on the beach but it’s literally a minute away, its spotlessly clean, the food is excellent and the staff friendly. I can't argue that this is the best place to stay in Polhena because I haven't stayed anywhere else but we booked for two nights, ended-up staying four and would have stayed even longer if I didn’t have things to do further north so I obviously had no complaints and I can recommend this place.

I can’t remember the exact price but it was very reasonable and I had no questions about the bill. AC and non-AC rooms are available. You can have snacks and soft drinks anytime, there is no alcohol licence but if you want beer with your dinner let the staff know and they can arrange for you to buy your own (without you having to move).

One of the best things about the Emerald bay is Nadeepa, a thoroughly decent guy who will look after you well. He won’t get in your way but if you need anything Nadeepa will see to it.

There’s no set menu or set meal times, you simply discuss what you and when you want it with Nadeepa and he will cook it for you (even the sausages I bought at Cargills!) he is an excellent cook and he speaks perfect English too.

• Related to: Backpacking, Trains, Road Trip