Weligama, Sri Lanka

Costs 101% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Relax and detox with authentic Ayurveda

I went to Barberyn for 10 days last May to recover from a bout of hard work and stress. I did not know what to expect, having never heard of Ayurveda before. My boyfriend and I were given a consultation together on our first day. The doctor asked lots of questions about our health and activities, daily life et.c. She took our blood pressure and then gave us a prescription and told us the type of treatments she would be giving us. Every day we had a face massage, head massage, full body massage, acupuncture, herbal baths. The nurses were so sweet and lead you by the hand from one treatment to the next until you are quite exhausted and fall sound asleep until Lunch! The buffet lunch is totally delicious, with an array of dishes that we quite distinct from what I am used to in India, lots of fresh curries and salads and mainly vegetarian. Very spicy. You also are given lots of herbal tea and unsweetened juices but no alcohol. There are a couple of sessions of yoga a day which were quite high level (too high for me) but enjoyable non the less. The beach is really lovely and much more unspoilt and beautiful than the beaches further up the coast towards Colombo. They organise trips to local places but I was too tired and focused on chilling out to join any of them. I ended up going to sleep at 8pm every night and getting up quite early. It was such a relaxing rhythm to get into on holiday. I lost 3 kilos over 10days, god knows how!? Maybe just less water retention but either way I would highly recommend Barberyn for weight loss, relaxation, yoga and peaceful vibe.

Unique Quality: Really friendly staff and nurses, Fantastic food (it would probably make my death row final meal request!) beautiful swimming pool looking over the beach. My room had a view of the jungle and the beach. Wildlife galore- I shared the path through the hotel between the dining room and the bedrooms with an 8ft long iguana!

Directions: Near Weligama on southern tip of Sri Lanka. The resort arranges transfers from either Colombo or your preceding hotel.

Comments