Bentota, 403 716, Sri Lanka

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Taj Exotica

Taj Exotica, Bentota

by Midgetman about Taj Exotica, Bentota

Most rooms have an excellent sea view of a beach studded with palm trees. Great outside pool on the 4th floor, gym with sauna etc. Price is much cheaper if you are in any way 'local'.

by TripAdvisor Member ssz

Nice hotel located on the beach. The rooms were spacious and clean with walkout balconies. The pool is also quite nice and wasn't too busy while we were there. The best thing about the pool and deck is that you can relax while overlooking the ocean. The only downside was that the ocean is not clean and was recommended by locals not for swimming. Also, this hotel needs a spa. Otherwise a pleasant and relaxing stay.

By far and away the premier...

by Kiptravel

By far and away the premier hotel that I have been to in Sri Lanka is the Taj Exotica.
Starting from GBP 70.00 per room per night Everything about the hotel is fantastic, it's location, it's rooms, and wow! the food.

Bentota's Best

by charleygirl76 about Taj Exotica

5 Star Oppulence with Robes, Slippers and great Room service all thrown in!
Would reccomend for a relaxing few days by the beach following a manic tour to parts of Sri Lanka. We had 3 nights here before our flight home, so we just relaxed, ate and drank and sunbathed.
Nighlife a bit on the quiet side, but there is a late night disco. - Played alot of R & B! We were upgraded to Superior sea view room. They must have thought we were honeymooners!
Pool with swim up pool bar, lovely room, food was good and varied.
Great Beach - no hawkers!!

5 Star Hotel at Bentota Beach

by Sunchild about Taj Exotica

We did not stay in this hotel by means of having booked a room there, but it was the next to our hotel (Lihinya Surf) and we visited it and had a lovely time at their bar. We really enjoyed that and went back a few times.

As it is situated at the end of the small street leading there, the location is very calm - same as Lihinya Surf - but still not too far away from Alutgama and its shops (10 Min. walk) And the restaurand "Wunderschön" is very near by, too. (Wunderschön offers great food at very reasonable prices - a must to go there!). Great Pool area on 3rd floor (if I remember it correctly), very nice reception. Bar offers great live-music every night.

A "may be contra": No views to the beach from the sunbed area (gras) though, as there is a huge hedge in between the beach and the hotel ground. Of course it is possible to reach the beach any time by "openings" in this hedge.

Excellant

by TripAdvisor Member julianwalker

My wife and I spent 2 weeks at the Taj Exotica and we were very impressed. The standards were very high and all the people were so nice.

Bentota has been effected by the events of last year but the best thing to do is go and see it and put money back into the tourism trade.

The hotel is very closed off so if you want to see real Sri Lanka go out in a taxi and see it.

I would highly recommend this Hotel and Sri Lanka for any holiday, Family, Romance or Just to relax.

Sheer Relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member redorwhite

We have just returned from a 10 day honeymoon at the Taj Exotica and throughly enjoyed our stay.
The staff could not do enough for us, on arriving we had an upgrade from a standard to a superior room. This was a large room and en suite with views over the ocean from the balcony.
We ate at all the restaurants and could not fault the food. The Breakfast buffet is excellent with lots of choice, from a curry to a croissant.
We visited the Spa, and the treatments were absolutely brilliant we had the 90 minute full body massage which included head massage, meditation and foot massage. This took place in lovely surroundings, cost 19,000 rupees and well worth the money.
The Pool and surroundings were very well kept, the waiters always coming over to make sure we were ok and if we needed drinks by the pool.
The evenings were very quiet in the bar with local entertainment provided and this would not suit anyone looking for something lively and there was not anywhere else to go, but this suited us as we were on our honeymoon.

Sri Lankan splendour

by TripAdvisor Member burndengreen

My wife and I had the good fortune to stay at the Taj Spet 23 to Oct 7th. Yes the area has been affected by the Tsunami (but not the Hotel), however I challenge anyone to meet friendlier people than the Sri Lankans.
Some reviewers have said they always have a hand out for tips - not true. Sure in some of the touristy areas (Kandy Sigria etc) this happens, but this happens anywhere. I thought they may have played the 'Tsunami' card a lot but they are genuinely pleased to see tourists - they want people to visit.

The Hotel is not 5 star, the rooms are a little tired but very comfortable. What is 5 star is the staff, nothing is too much trouble , the best hotel staff I have ever come across. As you can guess we enjoyed it tremendously.
A previous reviewer mentioned the trips, I agree with them and would recommend getting to know a tuktuk driver and sticking with him. Our driver Jageth (just ask the concierge for Jageth the Tuk tuk driver) he was exceptional and seemed almost embarrased to take the fare. He drove us about for 1 hour on a shopping trip and only asked for 200 rupees (£1.10)
so treat him kindly and give him some extra. And say hello to him form Linda and Dave.

through fire flood and three rooms

by TripAdvisor Member blood-banker

When we arrived at the hotel the tour operator had not said that we were a party of four, so we had rooms on separate floors for the first night.Tired after a long journey we opted for in-room dining which was excellent, it was also the only way to be served alcohol,as prohibition was in for election time! Sure enough next morning we were moved beside our friends into a very large room with a dressing area.Coming back one afternoon we noticed that the electricity was off, so phoned Maintenance and sure enough within 5 minutes there was an overalled expert at the door. He climbed some stepladders,reset the trip switch and we had power. I immediately turned on the A/C and all power disappeared! So he reset the switch,climbed up to the A/C unit and very soon clouds of acrid smoke were billowing from the unit. Luckily we had removed ourselves to the balcony. Next he said it would be 20 minutes to fit a reconditioned unit, and so it was.
Two nights later we returned to our room to find water running down the curtain pelmet and flooding the room to a depth of 1-2 inches, so we had to move again, this time to a smaller room without the dressing area but with a bigger balcony.

Food in the hotel restaurants was very good, the chinese and Sea View particularly good, let down by poor service. We usually got our first courses before the wine or water arrived. The food in SHACK was absolutely wonderful well worth the 40$.
However if anyone goes to this hotel on a half or full board package BEWARE. Food is taken in the Palms restaurant at a buffet. This is the same each evening with Brown Stew and chicken drumsticks/wings in a brown sauce looking and tasting particularly horrible. The decor in this restaurant is dull, dreary and depressing.The staff match their surroundings looking sad and morose, perhaps they get to eat the leftovers.
As mentioned in other reviews, the tiles around the swimming pool are lethal, with notices saying 'slippery surface'. The pool is great. I think that the in-room menu should be available all over this hotel, in all lounges. If this was so it might merit its 5*, but is being let down by that horrendous buffet. Most of the staff were very jolly helpful and courteous.Please note that the 'happy hour' lasts for 45 minutes and does not apply to cocktails, only local spirits and beers.

an extremely tired Taj

Having stayed in many 5 star hotels aroundthe world i knew what to expect of a hotel of this standard. I have to say, we didnt find it here! The service was extremely poor and slow, rather than yes to everything it was no before we had asked. The beds and loungers around the pool are EXTREMELY tired, on three occassions we had to wait longer than 10 mins for worn out towels. Although this hotel is situated in a lovely spot, you cant lye on the beach to sunbathe, which was xtremely disapointng as the beach is wonderful. Food in the hotel was OK, we went down to Saman Villas for 3 nights out the 7 as it was a superb residence which we will be visiting later this year now. Long, horendous drive to the hotel from the airport as the roads are full of lunatics.

Taj Exotica PoolTaj Exotica Pool

orange, kati, me, jacob in old empire hotelorange, kati, me, jacob in old empire hotel

paddy fields on train journey from hap to ellapaddy fields on train journey from hap to ella

leatherback turtle laying eggsleatherback turtle laying eggs

by qtek

How busy is the Taj in the period 26th Sept to 10th Oct this year?
What weather should I expect?

Regards

John

by ricky52

Due to extreme climatic changes the World is experiencing at the moment, trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local, on the day variations.
Most places now are seeing weather conditions well outside the norm.
The information below should be used as a guide only.

Here is the average weather for Bentota for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

Sea temp 82f / 28c
Wind (from the) SW
Cloud (from 8) 6.1

by HansDK

End September to Early October is off season in Sri Lanka, so my guess is the most hotels (inclusive Taj Exotica) will have an occupancy rate that is less than 25%.

The second inter monsoon usually starts sometime in the first half of October. So the weather will most likely be unsettled with quite a few hefty showers mostly in the afternoons, evenings, nights and early mornings. October is the second wettest month of the year on the west coast of Sri Lanka.

by qtek

Thanks for your help.

John

by sianij

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum site and really impressed with all the helpfull advice. My husband and I are flying out to Sri Lanka on the 11th June. We will be spending the first week on a tour of some of the island and our last week will be spent in the Taj Exotica. From memory we have booked a standard room, but we would like to make our stay special, so wondered if anyone had advice on room upgrades, such as what would be best to go for and what are the costs for example from standard to superior.
Also I am a vegetarian, so am looking forward to some fantastic food whilst out there and wondered if anyone had any tips on where to go for some good food.

This will probably be the first of many postings as I think of things in the coundown over the next few weeks.
I am so excited I have wanted to go to Sri Lanka for many years so cant wait!!
Thanks
Sian

RE: Taj Exotica

by Nilanka

The Taj Exotica has the following room upgrades (approx figures given):

Orchid Suite - US$40 per day / per room
Superior Rooms - US$ 20
Deluxe Rooms - US$ 60

The Taj Exotica has lota of Indians coming there so they are well equipped to handle vegetarian meals. Let me know if you need antyhing else.

Cheers

Nilanka

Taj Exotica in Bentota

by konky

Hi Guys,

Any comments by people who have stayed at the Taj Exotica in Bentota would be most welcome. we are plannning to book a holiday there and want to know how the hotel is.

Cheers.

by reynarddasilva

I stayed in the Taj Exotica about 3 years ago during a trip around Sri Lanka. It was a very nice 5 star hotel, excellent swimming pool etc. nice beach with plenty of water sports available. Not too far from the airport, but certainly not next door to it.
Good choice.

by mafi_moya

Hi, just to back up what was said above, very nice top-end hotel. Can't imagine you'll be disappointed. Personally, I also like the Bentota Beach Hotel, but both are great.

Re: Re: Taj Exotica in Bentota

by konky

Many thanks for your replies.
We are booking at the Taj!

by Rogietlegs

Hi there, we stayed at the Taj in June this year for the 2nd time, the first time was 5 years ago. It is a fantastic hotel and they cannot do enough for you. The rooms are excellent but try and make sure you get a room on the top floor or the one below it, I have heard that some of the rooms lower than this can smell a bit musty. The food is great, if you are thinking of half board don't book and pay for your evening meal with your tour operator, just pay for it as you have it, it is cheaper this way. Make sure you get out and about in Bentota. The Aida hotel at the entrance to the hotel road is a great place to eat or drink for that matter. It has a lovely position over the river and you can just watch the world go by. The tailors in the same building make fantastic clothes and I recommend them. We also have a ring made in the jewellers. Also bartar with these people you will be amazed at how little they settle for in the end. Take a walk into Aluthgama (across the railway bridge) and it is safer to walk on the railway side. After the first time you will become like a local! Don't be put off by the locals, they will try and tag along but a very firm no will suffice, but they can be very helpful sometimes too and for about 50p it is handy to have someone on your side. A real experience is to catch the train to Columbo. A 2 hour journey for 31p !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once in Columbo just get a tuk tuk to wherever you want to go and you can't go wrong. The tuk tuks outside the hotel are very safe and will take you anywhere. I know you have probably booked already but hope some of this helps. If you need anyfurther info feel free to email me GillJones2000@Yahoo.com. Have a great time it is fantastic.

Comments