4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Eden Resort & Spa

Excellent experience at Eden Resort

by TripAdvisor Member Deborah123

Having just spent an amazing two weeks at the Eden Resort Hotel & Spa Hotel, I must reflect on our family experience between 16 August and 31 August 2006. After initially reading some of the reviews I was a bit concerned and apprehensive about out stay.

However, after a what seemed to be a life-time journey transfer from the airport (just over 3 hours) we were welcomed by Eden staff with a refreshing Orange Cocktail and welcoming greeting. The hotel itself was suburb clean and tidy throughout. The hotel facilities were excellent with the huge swimming pool with swim-up bar, gym, message spa, games room for the children and plenty of evening entertainment for all. The only disappointment was that the children’s club was just an unsupervised empty room with a couple of toys to play with. However, our children spent most of the time in the swimming pool so may not have used this facility anyway.

The Sri Lanka people are absolutely amazing, always wanting to please you. The hotel staff were happy jolly people who were always helpful throughout the holiday. We stayed in a Superior room (which had interconnecting room for the children) although a bit smaller than the standard room the standard of decor was very good.

After reading some of the reviews on this webpage to be weary about trips organised by the beach boys we were initially going to book our trips through our Tour Rep however, on the first morning a member of our group met up with a local person named Chambo. Chambo worked for Kuoni in a hotel that was destroyed by the Tsunami and unfortunately was out of work because the hotel was still being re-built. Chambo offered a personalised tour guide around Sri Lanka at a fraction of the cost. In fact our group of 8 (4 adults 4 children) paid what would have been equivalent to our tour operators 2 adults, 2 children. Chambo took us on 2 excursion, both on an overnight trip we visited the real Sri Lanka (Kandy and Yala National Park) – He was amazing even helping us at the bank exchanging travellers cheques.

Towards the end of our holiday Chambo invited us around for a Traditional Sri Lankan tea with is family (see photograph), he took the children on his Tuk Tuk and we enjoyed the local company of his friends, family and neighbours. If you are going to Sri Lanka I must totally recommend Chambo as a personalised tour guide of Sri Lanka – he will even provide airport transfers for you if required. If you would like further information to contact Chambo I would be more than happy to recommend him, please e-mail me at dpender@shrewsbury.org.uk for further details.

Sri Lanka is a very special place which must be visited to be fully appreciated, the people are so resilient to the awful disaster that happened on this lovely island, they are very happy and jolly people who certainly but a lot of us moaning brits to shame.

We met some great people on this holiday both within the hotel and during the excursions we went on – what are you waiting for, go on book your holiday of a lifetime and definitely try the Eden Resort & Spa Hotel!!!!!

Beachside hotel

by suemac about Eden Resort and Spa

Stayed here in Feb 03 full board. The food was good, nice buffets, well presented, good service.

Nov 04 went to the Eden for lunch, has been refurbished with new seating etc in the poolside bar. The meal was expensive but nice, a bottle of coke cost 120 ruppees! The hotel has a nice swimming pool with a swim up bar.

Plenty of sunbeds to soak up the sun or laze under a coconut tree reading a book.

The Ayurvedic spa was excellent. I had a five day personal treatment plan worked out by the spa doctor. I felt really good afterwards, nice and relaxed. On the final day I had a flower bath and was given a bag of goodies including sandalwood oil.

Beware, read the other reviews as I wish I had

by TripAdvisor Member jjjall

Just come back from 6 nights at the Eden resort and Spa.
Upon arrival we were shown our room which was a standard room.
The room like other people have mentioned was smelly, damp and had mildew / mouldy stains on the walls and furniture/cushions.

The room generally was 2* standard and nowhere near 4* as advertised.
Maybe the Tsunami had left all the rooms damp and smelly?

We had to pay extra to stay in a paradise room which was ok but not worth the money.

The service in the rooms was terrible as we repeatedly had to ask for requests. I asked for an iron 6 times which took 2 days to arrive.

The beach is a brown colour, had rubbish and debris on it and you will be hassled if you walk on it by shri lankans trying to take you on trips. You cannot enjoy the sea as it is rough and a brown colour

The beach boys stand on the fence all day staring into the hotel making you a virtual prisoner of the hotel.

The towels around the pool are worn and dirty and need changing urgently.

Around the hotel their is nothing to see and the nearest excursions are nearly a whole days drive

The one redeeming feature of the hotel is the a la carte restaurant with great service and food. Fantastic waiter!

Overall I would strongly urge you not to book this hotel as their are far better places in Thailand etc .

We also stayed in Dubai and the maldives with excellent hotels

Excellent hotel and facilities

We stayed at the Eden Resport on Spa between 20th and 28th June 06. We were very apprehensive about staying at this hotel because of the earlier reviews on this website that we had read. The journey between the airport and the hotel felt endless especially after the 10.5 hours flight from Heathrow, however we received a warm greeting at the hotel and immediately the journey started to finally feel worthwhile. This hotel offers an excellent standard of accommodation for those wishing to relax and unwind in Sri Lanka, we made use of the spa facilities during our stay and found these much better than some I'd expereinced in the UK! I wouldn't not class this hotel as 5 star (more 4 star plus) but then it is not advertised as such in any of the brochures - so we were not at all disappointed. The Eden rooms could do with a bit of a make over as the furniture is a bit dated but they are comfortable and there is plenty of space - I never experienced dirty towels or linen in fact the room boy visited twice a day to ensure everying was okay with our room.

The gardens and pool are well maintained and the pool boys do an excellent job of locating sun beds and bring towels for your use. Yes there is a fence that seperates the hotel grounds from the beach and some of the locals will stand and watch you but they never bothered us at all. The fence actually makes you feel secure and safe that you can leave your belongings by your sun bed without having to worry if they'll still be there when you get back! We went out onto the beach and into the sea several times and although we were offered boat trips we just said no thanks and they left us alone.

The food at this hotel was also excellent, we were on an all inclusive basis and there was plenty of variety and the food was always good. Having said that I would not return on an all inclusive basis again basically because its so cheap to eat a la carte or in the Temptations (fine dining restaurant) giving you even more choice.

We did a couple of tours and I would recommend the turtle hatchery and a visit to the elephant orphanage - although it is a bit of a treck.

In all we had a fantastic time in Sri Lanka and at this hotel, the staff were friendly and helpful at all times. If you intend to visit Sri Lanka then you should do so with an open mind, it isn't Spain and their standard of living is much different to ours. I hope to visit Sri Lanka again but would not necessarily do the beach holiday again as there is so much more of this wonderful country to see.

Beautiful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Jerry&Denise

We have just returned from the Eden - again after reading the reviews were a bit worried as to what we would expect. We actually upgraded to a Paradise Room before starting our holiday. The hotel in our opinion was excellent - and could not fault it.
Our room was fantastic - the linen was changed every day.
We did in fact go on a tour of the hotel, and looked at all the different grades of rooms - and I would have stayed in any of them - they were all very good.
The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The only downside was the food - it was not a problem - but did get a bit repetative on the second week, we were on half board and eating in the Garden of Eden Restuarant, but there are also two other restuarants that you could eat at, but you had to pay but received a 20% discount. We ate out the last two nights at the Golden Grill in Bentota - this was very good, and very reasonable.
We had trips with the beach boys (we were warned not too) but they were very good and much cheaper than the tour operators (not sure how you stand with insurance though)
We also spoke to people who were staying at The Riverina and The Neptune (just along the beach) and they were also very happy with their hotels.

A Fine Resort Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member RostrevorNI

Like other reviewers, we were quite apprehensive of the Eden to start with but the generally expressed concerns did not materialise. The accommodation was of a high standard, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The Hotel staff were extremely friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Food - excellent for a short period but might get repetitive if you rely entirely upon the Hotel rather than visiting other local restaurants. Having said this, we had a superb meal in Temptations with the best fillet steak in years, perfectly cooked and presented. Extremely good value for money - served by attentive staff in a fine setting - with the Children allowed to choose off the Kids Meal menu from Chameleon Cafe. In fact the hotel offers superb value for money.
The Spa was excellent value - as were the Thai foot massages.
The Beach Boys were nothing unusual for Asia and were not in any way persistent to the point of problem. I have found Timeshare europeans in Canaries much more irritating.
The hotel was only some 1/3 full so I cannot comment how it might feel when full to capacity. I have stayed in some of the world's top hotels (Oriental Bangkok, Mandarin Hong Kong, Hyatt Singapore etc, and can honestly say we found the Eden to be an excellent Resort Hotel. OK you might quibble about whether it is 4 or 5 star - but it is a wonderful hotel which caters extremely well for Children. The pool aerobatics and suchlike are not my cup of tea but there was a comprehensive entertainment package to keep others amused. I would have no hesitation in reurning to Eden.

Had a great time here

by TripAdvisor Member C&SThomas-Jones

I have just returned from a holiday at the Eden Hotel in Sri Lanka - after reading some of the reviews on here i was left wondering what type of experience i could expect ..... We spent 10 days here before jetting to the Maldives, and it was fantastic. (I am not sure why there have been poor reviews, but our experience was simply fantastic) We stayed in the Deluxe rooms on the Paradise floor - and i would thoroughly recommend the upgrade. The room was lovely, service excellent and facilities fab. It was both our wedding anniversary and my birthday during our stay - and the staff could not do enough for us. I had the room decorated with balloons and flowers, free wine and a birthday cake brought to the room - and all because our room attendant had seen my birthday card from my Husband!! Food in the hotel is great, and the boys in the pool bar became great friends of ours. AIDA restaurant and the GOLDEN GRILL are great places to eat if you fancy a night out, and prices are very reasonable. Beach boys were not really a problem and were polite and pleasant - in fact they were welcoming and kind to us. This hotel in my view is a great place for a holiday!, and we are considering returning in November!
Claire and Steve - Wales

Boring

by TripAdvisor Member D.Fisher

Spent 7 days here, earlier this month and we can agree with some of the other negative comments on this website.

First of all the positives. The Temptations restaurant is excellent and well worth spending that extra bit of money. Service up here is excellent and waiter's are 'rewarded' by working up there.

When we did complain (see below) we were dealt with in a professional manner and the upgraded room (on the ground floor) was much better than the standard we had booked.

Negatives then...
Overall, poor service (at least to our standards- and we have spent the last 3 years backpacking) in terms of room service and food at the other restaurants in the hotel. Don't go F/I or F/B. The Chameleon Cafe forgets orders and food served cold. Buffet food isn't good and a struggle to get tea & coffee.
It says all rooms are pool facing. Not the one we were given originally. Standard rooms are very basic and not worth the money.
Beach was very disappointing. Dirty and nobody seems to have mentioned this yet, but it is right at the mouth of a large-ish river. This means that the sea is brown, not clear and the currents are very dangerous (Don't expect your kids to be safe here).
Nothing to do in area surrounding hotel, very few other restaurants. It's an OK hotel if you just want to sit by the pool if the weathers good, but not value for money if you are looking for something special.

Fantastic Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member rogg

I have just returned from a two week holiday at this hotel.
I traveled with a party of eight, 4 adults, 4 children and without exception we all had a great time.
The hotel rooms were extremely clean, well furnished and comfortable. I couldn't fault the house keeping it was to a very high standard.
The food in the restaurant (the non al a carte one) was very good, they had a good variety of different foods and the theme nights were popular. My only complaint was the vegetarian selection was very limited, there was a separate vegetarian menu but it took far to long for the food to be served (e.g. 40 mins) we found the same problem with the children’s menu the food was good it just took to long.
I didn't find any faults with any of the facilities at the hotel, the swimming pool was very clean, the gym was good with air con and the grounds of the hotel were immaculate.
On my first day while on a walk along the beach I met a local man called Chambo, if you want to do any excursions on your holiday I would seriously recommend you contact him before using your tour operator. He arranged 2 trips for us, the first to kandy which included the elephant orphanage and the temple of the tooth relic, his service was very personal as he would stop any where he thought would be interesting to us. The second trip a safari in Yala national park, the wildlife we saw here was unbelievable. Both trips were over two days and packed full of activities, hotel stays, all entrance fees, meals (exc lunch/drinks) were included in the price which was considerably cheaper than our tour operator had quoted us for the same trips.
For this excellent service Chambo's telephone number is, mobile: [--------] Home [------] (after 8pm) He even collects you from your hotel and takes you to his home for tea to discuss what trips you may want to go on (the service doesn't get anymore personal than this does it!!)
Over all the Sri Lanka experience was exceptional, friendly people, good food, and an amazingly interesting country.
We hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.
Roger Grafton, Shropshire (roggrafton@aol.com)

Truly enjoyed our visit!

by TripAdvisor Member TillyS

We had one standard room and one superior room for ourselves and our 2 teenage children. Both rooms overlooked the pool and quite frankly having two standard rooms would have been absolutely fine. They were big, light and airy. The advantage of the superior room was the bathroom was somewhat larger ( but how much space does one need?) and it had direct access to the garden and pool area. The disadvantage was that for security we had to close the patio doors when we weren't sitting directly outside, just in case, and that meant the room had a slightly musty (unaired) smell to it.
We had fresh bottled water in both rooms each day. The rooms were tidied daily and a fresh mosquito tablet plugged into the room gadget every night without fail. The gardens were beautifully maintained and the garden boys dedicated to bringing towels, turning our sun loungers towards the sun and if necessary dashing around to cover our possessions if there was a sudden downpour.
There was a regular array of activities each day ranging from pool aerobics, water or beach volletball, tuk-tuk tours, river cruises, discounts on spa treatments ( that were pretty reasonably priced anyway), cultural shows, and a cocktail party hosted by the management. The staff were delightful and some seemed really interested to hear where we had been and what we had thought of their country. No one intruded on us in any way and there was no noise at night. In the evenings there were candles placed around the pool to add atmosphere and the buffets were always very nicely presented. I would agree the desserts were somewhat monotonous after a while and breakfast was predictable but with enough variety to fit anyone's palette. We loved the amazing assortment of fresh tropical fruit.
When we returned after 3 days tour of our two new rooms one faced the back but when we said we preferred both to be poolside they immediately moved the luggage and changed the room to suit us without any fuss. It's true there is not much to see outside the resort - one can wander up the beach to a small shops arcade, take a taxi 20mins down the road to a turtle hatchery or take a boat trip down the river to see crocs and water monitors but if you just want to enjoy a tropical break before doing some of the amazing sites inland it is ideal. We found the beach people unintrusive and when approached helpful and pleasant. The beach was not "beautiful" but the resort gardens more than made up for it and were safe and secure.

Hotel Eden Spa & Resort and Weather in June

by jasonurq

Hi,

I'm planning to stay in Sri Lanka at the begining of June at the Eden Resort. What is this hotel like?

Also I've heard that June is the Monsoon season. Will the days be just clouds and humidity and how bad is the rain? Is it just showers and when does it rain? Afternoon or evening?

The hotel is in Beruwela, is there much to do see here? Can we eat outside of the hotel easily as I would love to try authentic Sri Lankan food. Can anybody also suggest excursion etc worth going on?

Sorry for all the questions but just want to know what to expect as I would love to see the real Sri Lanka and not spend my time just at the hotel.

Many thanks

Re: Hotel Eden Spa & Resort and Weather in June

by SriLankaEnjoy

Hi!
hope you haven't still travelled to SL. Eden Resort is a good hotel. You can try Heritance Ahungalla too. Its a five star hotel as well. close to beruwala. Beruwala area is a beach area but you can go on a Madu ganga (Madhu river) safari. Visit the pinnawala elephant orphanage / Kandy temple of the tooth relic and the yala national park. Do some shopping at odel and house of fasion in Colombo.

how far to the elephant orphanage?

by Millie-mand

Please could someone tell me how far and the best way to get to the elephant orphanage from the eden resort in Burewela?

by Oscar_Nonis

hi

are you planning to go by public transport?

If yes, you have to come to Colombo and pick a bus to Kandy from Bastian Mawatha, Pettah bus station and buy a ticket to Pinnawala

talk with conductor and driver and ask them to drop you the junction of pinnawala elephnat orphanage

Then take a 3 wheeler to there and ask for the price before you go by 3 wheeler

Thanks

Oscar

by erikdr

Good work from Oscar about public transport. What he left out was the total duration of that. Beruwela - Colombo 2 hours (bus or train). Colombo - junction near Pinawela another 2, and then 15 minutes for the rest by tuktuk. Adds up to almost 4.5 hours, so really only works as a 'one-way' (staying overnight in Kandy area after visiting the orphanage).

By car-with-driver it would be slightly better, because then you can avoid Colombo city centre up to some extent and of course avoid the transfers. I'd say 3 to 3.5 hours traveling one way. So it can JUST be done as a day trip (leaving e.g. 6 AM and returning 7-8 PM) but even then maybe a multi-day journey would be better...

Regards,

& [Sandya]

RE: RE: how far to the elephant orphanage?

by Millie-mand

Thank you for your help. Hiring a car and driver sounds a good idea, can I arrange this from the eden resort? Also would you know roughly how much this would cost? Thank you once again for your kind help.

RE: RE: how far to the elephant orphanage?

by erikdr

Yes, can arranged from the Eden resort.

The last price that I know of is about Rs 32/kilometer, and as you are talking at about 150 km (times 2) you can calculate a target price...

Regards,

& [Sandya]

by alycat

....and try n get there before 9 becos the 'show' starts with feedin the behomoth mammal and its kids!!

but if u miss the 9 am bus u can always get to see the 2nd feeding after 2 o' clock in the afternoon!!

Eating Out

by carolec

We will be atying at the Eden resort for 9 days in August, followed by 5 days at the Blue Oceanic in Negombo. We have only booked B&B - any recommendations for eating out in these areas, please?
Carole

RE: Eating Out

by dawnandash

The Golden Grill restraunt is located just over the Bentota river, and is a wonderful place. Location is great, and a lovely place to sit and eat. All dishes we sampled were fresh & very tasty, Steak, very fresh tuna, mixed grills, and sri -lankan curries are fabulous & very cheap It will take approx 10mins in tuk-tuk from Eden Hotel. Also Ganga Gardens in Aluthgama is a good place to eat, run by a english woman called Correen White, again 10 mins away from Eden, Enjoy your visit.

RE: RE: Eating Out

by carolec

I've taken a long time to find your reply - thanks for the tips
Carole