Galadari

Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 27% more and rated 12% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Great Hotel

I stayed in Galadhari in December 2006. Its a great place. However, the high security presence on the beach front and around the hotel was not very pleasing. Now that the situation has changed, I am sure there will not be any such problem. It was one of my best stays and I would recommend anyone looking for a 5 star hotel in Colombo to stay at Galadhari.

Unique Quality: Clean place, nice staff and interesting restaurants around.

• Galadari Colombo - not up to scratch

I booked into this place for 3 nights. There is on irony on turning on the tv in the room as you are met with a promo video extolling the 5 star luxury of the hotel. This place is not worthy of that description and not worth the cash paid.

Unique Quality: The room I was given was grotty and tatty and looks like it hasn't been modernised since the early 80s. Some electrical cables don't look safely wired. The strip light in the bathroom makes a loud humming noise. The phone in the room is antiquated. I asked for another room but since the corridors are similarly in need of refurb, I wasn't optimistic I would be given anything better. Sure enough the same issues were in the other room. Also the internet access ($15 US extra per day) didn't work and needed me to ring reception to ask for someone to make it work. I was advised to ring switchboard who would connect me to someone to trouble shoot the issue.

Unhappy with the service, I ended my stay there early to move to another hotel. When I went to check out, the hotel wanted to bill me for the 2 phone calls to the tech support people.

The hotel location doesn't help either as it is a good 20 min walk to the centre of the city.

• tayloretc's Profile Photo

Business Class

The other two reviews on here (as of 1/07) are quite negative, but I didn’t have anything like their experiences. This is a large, upscale hotel in the part of town where most of the government offices are located. I requested, and got, a sea view, and have no complaints about the room or the service. In fact, everyone at the front desk went above and beyond to help. It’s across the street from the beach boardwalk (an evening hangout for families and young people), close to plenty of restaurants, and a convenient walk to the city bus stand and the main shopping area, Pettah. It was also very safe, what with all the army guys with machine guns hanging around.

The room was clean and comfortable, if generic; the large lobby/lounge and adjacent restaurants were open and comfortable, if a bit gaudy for my taste, and I didn’t particularly care for any of the live (lounge) music I heard, though the musicians were good. I ate at the Chinese restaurant Stix (delicious, expensive) and the California Grill (delicious, very expensive). Breakfast buffet was good (and free). There are lots of on-site services, at least three large restaurants, two bars and a jazz club, and I think a night club.

I heard there are few American tourists these days, and I was there through an upscale travel agency, both of which might have something to do with my generally positive experience of the place.

• Lanka's nicest people

The airport pick up was pleasant and cheerful. The check-in was quick and one of the receptionists even walked me to my room on the 7th floor.....first time I had a hotel doing this for a guest.
    The room though of a good size, had a musty smell. Linen was clean and there was a lovely view of the sea front from the large window. All the facilities of a top hotel. Washroom was clean, but old again.....the hotel needs a major renovation I guess.
    The food in the restaurants was just average. Very active hotel lobby with large number of visitors for various functions.
    But the staff and all employees......they were the friendliest people I have ever met in a hotel. Always smiling, cheerful and ready to help in any way they could.

Unique Quality: All the staff, right from the front office, the security guards, the housekeeping staff, gym attendants, doormen, waiters and captains and every person associated with the hotel is an exceptional person and truly signifies Sri Lankan hospitality at its best.
    They will leave a lasting impression even on the most unimpressionable person!!

Directions: Along across from the corniche and past the Hilton

• trisanna's Profile Photo

Average Business Hotel

This is your typical business hotel. The location is quite good-right in the business section. In front of the world trade center, a block away from the Hilton. From this hotel, you can stroll up the galle face green walk.

We traveled through Sri Lanka on a tour-staying here our last night. We asked for a non smoking room, but the reception staff said only deluxe rooms have that option. I asked how much it would cost to upgrade and the hotel staff couldn't answer my question. They seemed preoccupied with something, even though they weren't busy. Asking for a quiet room provided them with lot of confusion. Since we were in a package, we were given the cheapest room. On the second floor and right next to the crew lounge for Qatar airlines. Luckily, the airline staff was quite quiet, so it wasn't a problem. The bedroom was fine, but the bathroom looked like it hadn't been renovated in decades.

There are a few restaurants in this hotel. There are Middle eastern, Chinese/Japanese and a cafe. There are a few bars. One in the lobby, jazz bar and a place called margaritas or something like that.

Best to get a room facing the ocean or ocean and old parliament building.

More about Galadari

Average Business hotel

by trisanna about Galadari Hotel

We stayed here our last night in Sri Lanka. It's an average business hotel, just infront of the world trade centers. The hilton is right next door. For more information-see the Colombo page.

Colombo business hotel

by emmet7 about Galadari Hotel

nice old hotel, hardly a 5 star like they claim, maybe in the 1950s or 60s. All the same fairly good service, comfortable rooms with dated decor, reliable internet, better than average service. The pool was relatively nice andd complimentary cocktail at Blue Margarita was tasty as were the local beers. great location, fairly nice pool, nice views

view from Galadari Hotelview from Galadari Hotel

view from our room, Galadari hotelview from our room, Galadari hotel

Airport to Galadari hotel - just take a taxi ??

by darrensunley

Hi,

I will hopefully be arriving at CMB airport at around 0500-0530 in the morning on the 27th Dec. I have read some of the other posts and they seem to suggest that getting an airport taxi to your hotel is the easiest and cheapest option ... just a couple of questions :-

1) - How much would you expect a taxi to be to the Galadari hotel ??
2) - Do the taxis run 24 hours ... i.e. will I have a problem getting one at around 0530 ??

Thanks in advance,
Darren

by erikdr

Hi there,

1) Around Rs 2,000-2,500 should be the target nowadays.
2) Yep for sure, plenty available round the clock.

All the best,

& [Sandya]

by Emichelle

Hi Darren,

Eric has said it all !! have agreat trip to Sri Lanka !!

You will find plenty of Taxis outside the Airport for 20 - 30 $

Cheers from Sri Lanka.
Emile.

by Maxus

Hiya Darren

the advice above is good and there is another option, you could email the hotel via their website and ask them to give you a price for an airport pick-up, it usually works out roughly the same as an airport taxi but you will be met at the arrivals hall by a driver (with a name card) and taken straight to a waiting car, it saves you having to arrange anything at the airport desk.

Regards