Galadari

Treshi's Profile Photo

Best for High Tea

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 2, 2014

An excellent location for meals and the best for high tea in Sri Lanka

Unique Quality: Food at its best... very much recommend for their high tea and other meals

Directions: Around one hours drive from Bandaranayake International Airport and five minutes tuk tuk ride from the Fort Railway Station

Great Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 4, 2010

I stayed in Galadhari in December 2006. Its a great place. However, the high security presence on the beach front and around the hotel was not very pleasing. Now that the situation has changed, I am sure there will not be any such problem. It was one of my best stays and I would recommend anyone looking for a 5 star hotel in Colombo to stay at Galadhari.

Unique Quality: Clean place, nice staff and interesting restaurants around.

Galadari Colombo - not up to scratch

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 26, 2009

I booked into this place for 3 nights. There is on irony on turning on the tv in the room as you are met with a promo video extolling the 5 star luxury of the hotel. This place is not worthy of that description and not worth the cash paid.

Unique Quality: The room I was given was grotty and tatty and looks like it hasn't been modernised since the early 80s. Some electrical cables don't look safely wired. The strip light in the bathroom makes a loud humming noise. The phone in the room is antiquated. I asked for another room but since the corridors are similarly in need of refurb, I wasn't optimistic I would be given anything better. Sure enough the same issues were in the other room. Also the internet access ($15 US extra per day) didn't work and needed me to ring reception to ask for someone to make it work. I was advised to ring switchboard who would connect me to someone to trouble shoot the issue.

Unhappy with the service, I ended my stay there early to move to another hotel. When I went to check out, the hotel wanted to bill me for the 2 phone calls to the tech support people.

The hotel location doesn't help either as it is a good 20 min walk to the centre of the city.

tayloretc's Profile Photo

Business Class

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 9, 2008

The other two reviews on here (as of 1/07) are quite negative, but I didn’t have anything like their experiences. This is a large, upscale hotel in the part of town where most of the government offices are located. I requested, and got, a sea view, and have no complaints about the room or the service. In fact, everyone at the front desk went above and beyond to help. It’s across the street from the beach boardwalk (an evening hangout for families and young people), close to plenty of restaurants, and a convenient walk to the city bus stand and the main shopping area, Pettah. It was also very safe, what with all the army guys with machine guns hanging around.

The room was clean and comfortable, if generic; the large lobby/lounge and adjacent restaurants were open and comfortable, if a bit gaudy for my taste, and I didn’t particularly care for any of the live (lounge) music I heard, though the musicians were good. I ate at the Chinese restaurant Stix (delicious, expensive) and the California Grill (delicious, very expensive). Breakfast buffet was good (and free). There are lots of on-site services, at least three large restaurants, two bars and a jazz club, and I think a night club.

I heard there are few American tourists these days, and I was there through an upscale travel agency, both of which might have something to do with my generally positive experience of the place.

Lanka's nicest people

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 5, 2007

The airport pick up was pleasant and cheerful. The check-in was quick and one of the receptionists even walked me to my room on the 7th floor.....first time I had a hotel doing this for a guest.
The room though of a good size, had a musty smell. Linen was clean and there was a lovely view of the sea front from the large window. All the facilities of a top hotel. Washroom was clean, but old again.....the hotel needs a major renovation I guess.
The food in the restaurants was just average. Very active hotel lobby with large number of visitors for various functions.
But the staff and all employees......they were the friendliest people I have ever met in a hotel. Always smiling, cheerful and ready to help in any way they could.

Unique Quality: All the staff, right from the front office, the security guards, the housekeeping staff, gym attendants, doormen, waiters and captains and every person associated with the hotel is an exceptional person and truly signifies Sri Lankan hospitality at its best.
They will leave a lasting impression even on the most unimpressionable person!!

Directions: Along across from the corniche and past the Hilton

trisanna's Profile Photo

Average Business Hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 27, 2005

This is your typical business hotel. The location is quite good-right in the business section. In front of the world trade center, a block away from the Hilton. From this hotel, you can stroll up the galle face green walk.

We traveled through Sri Lanka on a tour-staying here our last night. We asked for a non smoking room, but the reception staff said only deluxe rooms have that option. I asked how much it would cost to upgrade and the hotel staff couldn't answer my question. They seemed preoccupied with something, even though they weren't busy. Asking for a quiet room provided them with lot of confusion. Since we were in a package, we were given the cheapest room. On the second floor and right next to the crew lounge for Qatar airlines. Luckily, the airline staff was quite quiet, so it wasn't a problem. The bedroom was fine, but the bathroom looked like it hadn't been renovated in decades.

There are a few restaurants in this hotel. There are Middle eastern, Chinese/Japanese and a cafe. There are a few bars. One in the lobby, jazz bar and a place called margaritas or something like that.

Best to get a room facing the ocean or ocean and old parliament building.

Nearby Galadari

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Colombo Travel Forum

Need advice about Colombo, Sri Lanka? Visit the Travel Forum for Colombo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Colombo hotel reviews