Hotel Sansu

More about Colombo

ATM on the LeftATM on the Left

AnotherAnother

SunsetSunset

The temple with the bo-tree in the foregroundThe temple with the bo-tree in the foreground

This is it...almost

by sriramlovesmusic

I will be in SL in 2 more days...Cannot wait!!! How is the climate there now? Anything new that you want us to be prepared for? What are the things that my wife and I ned to avoid when we are there? What is the average tipping amount in LKR? does the 10% rule count or is 10 LKR considered a common number at dine in's etc? so Let me get this right...no busses to bentota from the airport...i have to come to Colombo City and then take a bus. I just need to keep the conductor informed as to where I want to get down....right?

Re: This is it...almost

by HansDK

Weather last couple of days has been sunny with a few showers.

Tipping 10% is OK, but tipping LKR 10 is almost an insult. If you don't want to tip minimum LKR 20-50, don't tip.

Only few Matara bound buses from the airport will pass Bentota. Otherwise it's bus from Katunayake to Colombo and change bus there.

Travel Tips for Colombo

Catching a glimpse of Colombo

by call_me_rhia

Colombo is the capital city of Sri Lanka, and it's also a metropolitan city with a population of nearly one million. The places of interest are not many, but it's still a pleasant place to spend a day or two... not visiting but treating yourself. if you like food - you're in the rght place for some heavenly meals. We spent in Colombo only a short time: the time to have some really glorious meals and some truly boring nightlife. We walked around and visited nice temples, and then we strolled through a wealthy area with security guards everywhere who did not let us take pictures (paranoia rules!). In particular we visited on a sunday - so we managed to avoid the infamous colombo traffic.

Purchasing from a Good Decent Shop (2)

by srupesh

Clothes *
Before you pay the bill make sure try it on the fit room. Else make sure they will take it back and replace the clothes price with by with any other item that you’re going to purchase on your next visit. Normally our shops don’t pay your money back.

Electronic Item *
If it is item which works on electricity or runs on battery the salesman always show you demo that the item is working but incase if he fails make sure you ask the salesman over there to turn it on and show you the product.

The item always comes with a warranty card unlike you buy from hawkers which they don’t have warranty. Here you don’t have any problem like changing your item after purchasing due to the warranty card.

Other items *
If the item you purchased does not come under the both category and does not have a warranty card. And you want to change it for any reason they will simply do it to keep their reputation in the market.

Bills or Invoices *
The bills or invoices play a major role here. They contain plenty of information and condition when come to change an item. So, don’t loose them at all.

Grocery Sellers, very very small shops, liquor related shops (pubs, clubs), fruit & vegetable sellers, super markets and food outlets won’t give discounts or reduce prices. Before asking the discounts judge the shop first and ask for it otherwise people will give gull look at you which will make you unhappy.

The air lines lost my...

by brdwtchr

The air lines lost my luggage so my first afternoon in Colombo I had to buy a change of clothes. If I ever go back to Colombo I am going to not take any thing but an empty suit case and buy all my clothes when I get there. There are clothing stores that have the same name brand clothes as in my own country for a third of the price. It was a pleasant surprise to find how inexpensive replacement clothing was. My friend got so many clothes to give his family for gifts that I had to bring some of his stuff back with me in my luggage as his was full. People in Colombo and all of Sri Lanka were very nice and friendly. The traffic in Colombo is some thing you have to see to believe. There are oxcarts, three wheel taxis, busses, lories, elephants, and minivans all sharing a few lanes of traffic that run parallel to the coast line. I complain about it now but I will certainly never forget it. The amazing thing about the traffic is that I did not see many wrecks in spite of how bad it was. The drivers are nice about letting one another into traffic. If we had traffic like that here in the United States people would be yelling out the car windows at one another. The people in Sri Lanka are extremely nice and courteous to one another and to foreign tourists. My fondest memory will always be the smiles and friendly attitude of the people I met there.

It was hot and humid while...

by brdwtchr

It was hot and humid while I was there so I wore short pants a lot. If you visit some of the temples and holy places you will need to take off your shoes before entering and you should probably wear long pants also. At one temple (in Kandy not Colombo) I had to rent a Sarong to cover my legs before I went inside. This picture is of a smiling fisherman in a sarong.

The Dutch Museum In Fort

by srupesh

The Dutch Museum situate in Melbourne Street which is one of the sub rods of the Main Street in Colombo 1. The building itself is more than 100 years old. When come over here you can feel the European Architecture. It is quite bigger than the CMC Museum which is situated in one end of Main Street.

There are plenty of porcelains, old furniture, coins, plaque and many more. This is totally dedicated to the Dutch era. But here and there you can find other Sri Lankan Stuffs too. There are plenty articles written about Colombo city and about the things over there. Actually you need some time and patient for that.

In a particular article which is near the entrance I think has mentioned about the beauty of Colombo city around 15ht centaury.

“I have never seen a beautiful city like Colombo….
The well grown tree on the both side….. “

This article is my favorite at least I got to know the city was really beautiful than today. And small hand written painting also there displaying the early Colombo.

I would like to say so don’t expect too much. Even I will say it is sometimes not worth going purposely to see this museum. But if you go to Main Street for shopping or for some other reasons try to visit this museum too

Comments