25 Galle Face Centre Road, Colombo, 3, Sri Lanka

Taj Samudra Colombo
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Agoda.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Taj Samudra Colombo - what a bunch of thieves

I contacted this hotel via their website to ask for a quote for a given dates that I was able to advise on. I received an email back quoting me $110 US per night plus taxes. I replied to say I would accept and made my way to the hotel an hour later.

When I went to check in the guy behind the desk said to me that he couldn't offer the rate quoted and said I would have to pay $174 US plus taxes. I took out my laptop and showed him the email exchange that had taken place. He said that the rate varies on a daily basis and that I would have to pay the higher rate. I scrolled down the email and showed him that the dates in question had been specifically listed. He then said that I wouldn't be able to receive the rate in the email and that I would have to pay the corporate rate of $174.

I asked who was in charge and he pointed at the duty manager. I went over and asked her to join the conversation and she immediately said I would be charged at the rate quoted to me by email.

Unique Quality: Rip off staff.

Ignore some of the options I have ticked in the questionnaire below - the questions about rate vary depending on which member of staff you have to deal with.

• Madhvesh's Profile Photo

Best Indian Restaurant in Colombo

The stay was quite comfortable. The one thing was missed was the regular Taj goodies like the sewing kits etc which makes life a bit comfortable in case of emergencies. The restaurants are good and so is the bar.

• m_guilfoile's Profile Photo

Under Renovation & Not Recommended

The Taj is a famous Indian hotel management group with some great hotels around the world...but not in Colombo. Granted we stayed there while it was under renovation (which of course we did not know until we arrived) but even after the renovation the hotel will not meet our expectations.

Initially, we checked into an unrenovated room on the business executive floor. Upon hearing that there was renovation work we asked for a renovated room which they kindly complied. Clearly, renovation simply meant that they re-painted the rooms and maybe changed the mattresses. not much else. For example, post renovation the bathroom was still over 20 years old, the furniture was old and the overall workmanship was very poorly done. To make matters worse, the rooms were infested with ants! On two separate days, the elevators were not working.

Breakfast was included but served in a Chinese restaurant with unattractive ambience. The food selection was mediocre. I felt sorry for the guy making omlettes as he couldn't help scrambling the eggs.

The staff are friendly and they certainly try their best. However, they could use a bit more training. For example, they asked me to fill out a survey upon check-out. I joked with them saying that they shouldn't watch while I complete the survey. After I handed back the survey they joked 'only good service for the front desk staff?'. Out of courtesy, I changed the survey to 'excellent'. The lady actually had the nerve to ask for my signature to authenticate the amendments.

I saw other hotels in Colombo but not the rooms so I can't say if there are better choices. The TransAsia hotel seemed promising.

Unique Quality: Should have a nice outdoor pool when the renovation is complete.

The ocean views are great!

• Oscar_Nonis's Profile Photo

Taj Samudra - Colombo

The Taj Samudra Colombo is located on 12 acres of landscaped gardens facing the historic Galle Face Green with a panoramic view of the Indian ocean. It blends the quiet charm of an earlier era with a comfort and efficiency of an International hotel. It is also an architectural landmark in Colombo built in local style. All 292 rooms and luxurious suites are well appointed with every modern indulgence and comfort. The historic Colombo club within the hotel grounds houses superb conferencing facilities for up to 450 persons. In all the hotel offers 9 banquet rooms ideal for small large gatherings. The hotel also has extensive sports recreation facilities including a swimming pool, health club, tennis court and squash court. There are 3 specialty restaurants, Port, Mix Bar, Navratne / Golden Dragon, Rendezvous, bar discotheque offering a choice of cuisines in elegant surroundings. Utell Superior Selection - Offers the traveller quality rooms and facilities making their stay, whether business or leisure, relaxing and comfortable

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Taj Samudra

Unique Quality: Situated on 11 acres of landscaped gardens and facing the historic Galle Face Green on the waterfront, the hotel has the finest location in the city. It offers guests a spectacular view of the Indian Ocean.

• Tenzin's Profile Photo

We stayed 3 nights at the 5...

We stayed 3 nights at the 5 star Taj Sumadra Hotel and discovered that there was no towels when my wife was half way through her shower. This has never happened in our travelling experiences. I hope this is not another ploy to extract extra tips!

Unique Quality: The swimming pool looks inviting but it being the raining season we didn't get the chance to use it. The gym and sauna comes at no extra charge and the standard is acceptable. The hotel's taxi driver, Fernando is both friendly and patient. He can take you to any part of Sri Lanka and the rates are affordable.

More about Taj Samudra

1) Galadari
2) Taj Samudra
3) Colombo Plaza
4) Trans Asia

Can you advise which is the best as they are all centrally located and what's the old name for Colombo Plaza and Trans Asia? Thanks.

Re: Which Hotel in Colombo?

by Nilanka

The hotels are all the same and in more or less the same location. The Taj and Galadari will give you see views.

Colombo Plaza was the Oberoi and Transasia was the Ramada Rennaissance.

Hi nilanka!

Thanks for the update. I think I've stayed in all of them,except Taj Samudra. If I recalled, Oberoi is very spacious and has a resort feel, while Ramada was more of a business hotel. BTW, which hotel is closest to Dam Street or near the Pettah area?

by Nilanka

Hi,

All the hotels are close to Pettah but the closest is the Galadari but the distance between the Galadari and the other is about 5 mins. So its all the same.

Re: Which Hotel in Colombo?

by petertktan

Requested Taj Samudra and got Taj Samudra! Hopefully, I will get the ocean view, instead of the view over the military camp(is it still there?)

Dear Nilanka & Oscar,

Sorry could not arrange to meet up as I had a busy schedule due to short visit. Colombo hasn't changed much all these years, except with a few new buildings. Taj is ok, greatly helped by the stunning seaviews, altho the rooms are getting a little jaded. However, if I'm coming to Colombo again, will still go for Taj as I like the evening stroll on the beachfront!

Comments