Golden Sun Resort

315 Vauxhall Str Colombo 2, Kalutara, Sri Lanka

Good For No Data
  • DAVIDJSTOCKWELL's Profile Photo

FABULOUS RELAXING HOLIDAY

The Golden Sun Resort Kalutara.
    So, what is there to say about this lovely hotel in Sri Lanka, well, actually there is lots, but space will stop me, but here goes.
    This hotel is in my opinion a fabulous place to go for a very relaxed and enjoyable holiday, where all your needs are extremely well looked after by the general manager Mr Upul Gamage and his wonderfully attentive staff, this means everyone from the reception staff to the gardeners too, it would be unfair to single any out really, but a special thanks to Pyal in the pool bar for his never ending stream of cooling drinks during the very hot days.
    But really, everyone there made me feel very much at home, and... to my soon to be Sri Lankan fiancee too, so to everyone a HUGE thank you for that.
    Accomadation:
    Huge spacious rooms,spotlessly kept clean, all with sea view.(nice flower arranging on beds by room boys too)
    All rooms with air conditioning, balconies and safes too.
    Facilities:
    Excellent all round, and even an up to date gym and sauna to try to keep those extra kilos at bay!
    Food:
    Excellent array of food for breakfast, lunch & dinner, and mind out for those extra kilos at the dessert counter though!
    Service:
    Well, what can i say here, absolutley marvellous all round, could not be better.
    So, all in all, i can honestly say that The Golden Sun is a fab place to go and relax for anyone needing a holiday to unwind, and i will be returning thee for a month in January 2006, so Upul, see you on Sunday 29th, oh and don't forget, we have a little matter of an engagement to see to, yes Ayanthi, and me!!, see you then, and once again, a HUGE thank you for mylast holiday with you.

Unique Quality: Fab pool area, and beach too.

More about Golden Sun Resort

Great place but where is everyone?

by TripAdvisor Member Paul_Carter

Just returned from 10 day all inclusive at this resort. Can only reiterate so many of the comments made in previous reviews. Cocktail on arrival particularly welcome after the "interesting" transfer from the airport. Whilst I had been to Sri Lanka before my girlfriend hadn't and found it all a bit of an eye opener!!

Room was the largest I have ever stayed in with views over the beach from the balcony. At night you could lie in bed listening to the crashing waves.

Staff almost too attentive!! Unfortunately the room boys don't appear to understand the concept of the "Do not disturb"sign on the day which resulted in a couple of potentially embarrassing incidents!

Particular thanks to Kandy and Piyal who looked after us during the day keeping us regularly supplied with cocktails by the pool. Also thanks to Ajith in the Bluez bar for teaching us some card tricks.

Food fabulous though surprised how many Westerners come to Sri Lanka and eat Western food. Local stuff was delicious. Even on an all inclusive basis it is worth having at least one meal at the Fisherman's Lantern resaurant for great sea food. Thanks once again to Kandy for making our evening there so special.

Perhaps what surprised me most was how few guests there were. At the beginning of our holiday there were a couple of times when we were the only people in either of the bars. Got slightly busier towards the end but it would appear that many people are not booking or cancelling bookings through ignorance of the situation with the LTTE. Also the locals say that the country generally is still struggling to get back to the levels of tourism pre-tsunami.

Would highly recommend the two hour cycle ride around the local lanes, rice fields and jungle with one the staff acting as a guide. He showed us so much. Very good price too. One regret is that we didn't do a couple of other local trips. Didn't see the details until the last day as poster hidden away by the reception desk. As thes were locally arranged we were not given these details by our holiday company rep.

Used tuk-tuks from front of hotel for local trips and one of the drivers, Sajeen, then took us out for the day to the elephant orphanage and Kandy in his car.

The beach touts were a slight annoyance. They were not particularly persistent (well not compared to Goa, The Gambia and Vietnam for instance) but you would be very conscious of their presence and their attempts to attract your attention whilst you were relaxing on the sun beds. It also meant that many people were reluctant to leave the confines of the complex. This is a shame as they were missing out on experiences I enjoyed whilst walking along the beach such as talking to the locals, watching the fishermen land the catch, taking photos, etc.

Even on all inclusive basis it would have been nice to be able to wander out to a couple of beach bars or restaurants such as at Hikkaduwa further down the coast. Unfortunately there is nowhere really within walkable distance. However there are a handful of bars/restaurants in Abrew Road a short tuk-tuk ride away.

The only sour note was on the last day when I had some money taken from my wallet when I rather stupidly left it unattended in a bag by the sun lounger for a few minutes. They didn't take the rupees only the English money!!

Wonderful winter break

by TripAdvisor Member Stratfordian

This hotel is excellent for a leisured holiday - the food is outstanding - local in character but everything available. Particularly impressive was the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff; - they are not heavily managed and told to be 'invisible' as is often the case in more expensive hotels. Lets hope the present convertion to the Ramada chain will retain this individuality of the place.
The only disadvantage is that it is not an easy place to get out from unless one uses a taxi.
Journey from the airport rather tedious when one is tired.
C & P Woodfield

Paradise on earth

by TripAdvisor Member sujeewa.fernando

We went there with our two kids aged 14 and 10. The welcome we got from the staff was excellent and it was home away from home. My partner and I are very busy people working in Europe and caught in the western life style. It was a very relaxing holiday for us and Upul Gamage and Mangala and the front office Manager( I have forgotten his name) were really going out of their way to help us and made our stay a memorable one; We did a round trip and came back to another hotel in Kaluthara and the kids and I were feeling kind of home sick of The Golden Sun and we returned to Golden Sun as they accomodated us in a such a short notice. We love that place and I am taking a group of volunteers in April 2007,who come to build houses in Moratuwa for the people who were affected by the Tsunami in 2004. We will be staying there again; Good Service, freindly staff, efficet management; Keep up the good work; Our kids still talk about the hoilday at Golden Sun and they refer to their holiday as "Paradise Holiday";
Thanks
Sujeewa Fernando/Didier Lamarque - Basel, switzerland

Do not stay at this hotel unless you want bargain basement!

by TripAdvisor Member GingerRedditch

We asked our travel agent for an amazing all inclusive deal for our honeymoon. We were grossly disappointed. The Golden Sun (now Ramada) is "sold" as a 4 star, if it has 2 it would be lucky. Paving is incomplete, the doors are faded and damaged, repeatedly things go wrong in the room and the food is revolting. If you want to eat outside rather than in a pokey buffet restaurant that is set in the 70s then the only option is to go to the hotels Fishermans restaurant where you have to pay to eat and drink. If you want wine in tha day you have to pay, there is no juice only sugary cordial, if you want tea and cofee in the afternoon or ice cream you have to pay. The "shopping arcade" stocks no toiletries or sun creams, only a few clothes and a jewellers, there are no books or papers to buy. They say there is entertainment, well if you can call disco, karaoke and bingo entertainment. Oops I almost forgot, they have a bloke with a snake come once a week too.

Comments