Hotel Villa de Art Kaohsiung

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 44% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Kaohsiung

Sunshades at the ready for a day on the beachSunshades at the ready for a day on the beach

View of the Ciji temple from the pagoda topView of the Ciji temple from the pagoda top

At the lighthouseAt the lighthouse

on beachon beach

To Kaohsiung!

by angelmae3995

Hey so I am heading to Kaohsiung as a student to Study at the National Sun Yat-Sen University. I am a student of languages and Chinese is one of the languages that I am studying.
My mom is worried, she thinks that I will be raped or murdered or sold to human trafficking while there.
I have been reading all I can and I just would like to know if anyone knows how likely these scenarios are so that I can calm her.
Any help is thankful!!

<3 Melissa

Re: To Kaohsiung!

by heywinks

Ha ha...my mom thought the same thing when I told her I wanted to go to Guangzhou in China! I was going to go there on my own, traveling - a single woman. I can speak Cantonese so no problem with the language. But still, she said if I went I would be raped, murdered, and/or sold into prostitution. All moms will worry.

I haven't been to Kaohsiung in a long time but I would think you will be fine. Take precautions as you would anywhere else. Talk to strangers but be on your toes. Use good judgement and good sense. Travel in a group if you venture out late at night, or walk in the middle of the street (if there are no cars!) at night (ie, don't walk close to the doorways where you might be grabbed and pulled in).

I don't think anything you say will ease your mom's worry. But tell her that she taught you to be independent and to be a citizen of the world. To study in a foreign university is an amazing opportunity. Your professors and counselors have faith in you and so should your mom. Have the best time and enjoy it to the fullest! :)

Re: To Kaohsiung!

by angelmae3995

Thank you so much! You are right about the precautions. I am already planning on those. I didn't think of the door one though. Thank you, I will keep that in mind!!!

Travel Tips for Kaohsiung

Love-River at night

by yatingchen

Love-River flows through Koahsiung's heart into sea. Because of industry pollution, once it was Koahsiung people's plain. However, now it's their pride.

Its face in day and at night are very different. At night the river belongs to lovers. If you are so lucky and that don't need to stand in line, please just take boat for short sightseeing. The amazing landscape with breeze can melt your heart.

Maolin/Tona Hot Springs

by kenmerk

Suprisingly, the Maolin/Tona area is only a little more than one hour's drive from Kaohsiung.

The area extends about 25 KM's into the mountains from Maolin. Here you can find several waterfalls, an aboriginal center, natural hot springs (at Tona), and many places along the river valley where you can just hang out.

Try the native barbeque while you are here, also there are several stores that sell stone crafts in Tona village.

Be careful when down at the hot springs. The rocks around there are all shale, and can be slippery. (As Uncle Joe's bruised tail bone will attest to...)

Kaohsiung Municipal Film Archives

by judyintaiwan

The Film Archives, opened November 3rd 2003, treats visitors to a collage of movies, history and memorabilia. The first floor gives an historical overview (in Mandarin); the second includes a screening room and lending library for in-house use only. A film list (Mandarin & English) makes it easy to select choices for personal viewing at the Hall. Hollywood classics, like "Casablanca" and local greats, like "Wang Ge Liou Ge Yo Taiwan" from the 1960s, provide enjoyable entertainment. The library stacks are impressive, boasting film, photography and theater titles and with ample English language reading. Regular free movie showings are offered in the auditorium (3F); please check for schedules. The Hall is user friendly with handicapped access and even infant changing rooms. -- By Karen Schmitt

Hours: 1:30 - 9:30pm; Closed Mondays
Admission & Use of Archives Free

Kaohsiung City of Habour

by THLIN

"City and her Habour"

There are two mega cities in Taiwan, one in the north while the other in the south; I am from the north and hardly go to the south. I don't know much about this city, besides those from the news channel, I know a little about this sunshine place.
However, I can still tell you the followings:
1. This city is famous for her habour, it is built on a lagoon, the island outside the lagoon is call ChiJing(Qijing).
2. It is a city with 1.3 million residence.
3. I like liohe Night Market best, since food here is A LOT cheaper than its counterpart in Taipei.

To be continue......

"Ryan"

Thanks to Ryan's request to take bullet train so that I could have a good excuse to go away from Taipei. Well, when I go over, please take me around. At least, you should lend me your car, I am a legal driver.

Comments