Kaohsiung Gear Hotel

Costs 292% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Kaohsiung

Me on Cijin BeachMe on Cijin Beach

The VT flag at Eluanbi lighthouseThe VT flag at Eluanbi lighthouse

Buddhas on the wall beneath standing giant buddhaBuddhas on the wall beneath standing giant buddha

fish transportfish transport

~*About 3 Hrs in Kaohsiung - What to Do?*~

by teenoynoy

Hello,

As I plan to have my 1st trip to Kaohsiung. Could anyone suggest me where and how I can take my 3 Hrs there worthly.

I go there and back by HSR.

Thanks in advance.

Re: ~*About 3 Hrs in Kaohsiung - What to Do?*~

by nuttyazn

These are the Shopping areas:

Re: ~*About 3 Hrs in Kaohsiung - What to Do?*~

by mstinawu

Kaohsiung is a port city so what else? Sample the local seafood--always fresh and always delicious! I'd say the best ones are the ones that open into the street with lots of fish swimming in the tank and most impotantly, most people in the restaurant!

Travel Tips for Kaohsiung

Kaohsiung Tip

by z_horse

Kaoshiung is definitely a nice place because of the people there. Yafang is a real friendly gal we met in Kaoshiung. After our hotel check-in, we went hunting for food. We walked past an internet cafe and decided to go in and check our emails. It was there where Yafang started chatting with us. But what we did not expect was she said she was going to knock off from work soon and offered to bring us around the city! And so she became our guide, all the way till night. She definitely played a good host. TBC......

Taroko National Park

by keeweechic

Situated at the junction of three counties: Hualien, Taichung, and Nantou. The Central Cross-Island Highway gives access to the spectacular views contained within the of Taroko National Park like marble and limestone cliffs, waterfalls.

Gushan Harbour and the British Consulate

by IreneMcKay

To get to Gushan Harbour take the metro to Sizihwan Station and exit through exit one. Gushan Harbour is a pretty harbour in its own right and it has several good restaurants. It is also the place to catch the ferry to Cijin Island.

From Gushan Harbour you can walk to the former British Consulate Building. Exit Sizihwan metro exit one and walk to Gushan Harbour. Go to the far side of the water and walk towards the sea. You will see a signpost for a landscaped walkway to the consulate building. It is an uphill walk - fairly steep. The consulate was not really what I expected. For a start it was full of tour groups. The building was attractive red brick with lots of archways. It had a fairly non-descript exhibition about the Beatles inside. The consulate building is now a restaurant we had a pleasant meal there with lovely views over the harbour.

City by the Sea

by chewy3326

Although I've visited Taiwan a couple times, this was the first time I ever went to Kaohsiung. Kaohsiung, with a population approaching 1,500,000, is the second largest city on Taiwan and the largest port in the Republic of China. Kaohsiung was formerly the third-largest port in the world, but since then, it's dominance has declined; today it is retains a respectable position of sixth or seventh. Kaohsiung also boasts a remarkable skyline comparable with Taipei's. Kaohsiung has the Tuntex Skyscraper, one of the tallest buildings in Asia.

I did not spend very much time in Kaohsiung (I came in the afternoon of July 31 and left the morning of August 1) but I found it an interesting city that I would like to revisit someday.

Kaohsiung was originally named Dagou, for the aboriginal tribe that inhabited the area. Later the aboriginals left and the Chinese came, renaming the area Kaohsiung (高雄).

There are many things I dislike about Kaohsiung, including its food (too sweet), its politics, its weather, and its traffic. Still, I find it a place worth visiting.

Comments