Good Ground

Agoda.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• dixonchan's Profile Photo

Good Location + Budget Hotel

This is a low budget hotel that is located conveniently near XiMen MRT station. Don't expect state of the art facilities though.

The rooms are pretty small. However, my other two travel mates got a twin room that is the size of a triple room. So in a way, they are very lucky. In case you are interested, those rooms end with a 8. So, try asking for room 108, 208, 308, 408 or 508.

Unique Quality: Friendly reception. They are also so willing to help us and provide us with directions and advice.

Other than that, this is a typical budget hotel.

Cost me 1600NT per night for a twin room.

Directions: Take MRT and alight at Ximen station. Get out from Exit no. 6. The hotel is located about 40m from the exit.

More about Good Ground

Tapei in a short time

by MastG

Stayed in the First Hotel an the Good Ground Hotel

The First was a slightly better hotel but the Good Ground was in a much better location, near Ximen station.

Spent a whole day in the Nat, Palace museum, other days I visited Confucious temple, 101 building, Long Shang temple and snake alley

Taiwan Travelogue

by dixonchan

"Taiwan Day One & Two"

[DAY ONE]

1. Touched down at Chiang Kai Shek International Airport(ÖÐÕý¹ú¼Ê»ú³¡) on 12 Nov 2:10pm. Flight time was about 4hrs 30 mins.

2. Took cab to Good Ground Hotel at Xi Men Ding (Î÷ÃŶ¡). Cost about SGD60 shared by the 4 of us.

3. Checked in at hotel. The receptionist was friendly and she actually stayed in Singapore for a few years at Ubi Avenue.

4. Immediately, we walk a few steps to taste the famous Ah Zhong Mee Sua (°¢×ÚÃæÏß) as recommended by Taiwanese colleagues. We were not disappointed.

5. Went to MRT to get Easycard (Singapore's equilvalent of Easylink) for SGD25. It can be used on MRT and city buses and has a 20% discount over single trip tickets.

6. Took MRT to Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall.(¹ú¸¸¼ÍÄî¹Ý)

7. Visited Taipei 101, the world's tallest building.

8. Met up with Terry, my ex colleague who is working in Taipei now.

9. Shopped at New York New York. Nothing much actually.

10. Went to Shilin Night Market (Ê¿ÁÖÒ¹ÊÐ) to settle our dinner with the roadside finger food. Tasted smelly toufu (³ô¶¹¸¯), chicken cutlet(Õ¨¼¦ÅÅ) and bean curd(¶¹»¨). Very nice!!!

11. Returned to Xi Men Ding to shop around and watch the crowd. A lot of youngsters hang around this area, and that made me feel old.

[DAY TWO]

1. Took train to RuiFang town (Èð·¼) and changed cab to go up Jiufen (¾Å·Ý). It is located high up the mountains. Recently, there is a fatal bus accident along that route, so we avoided the bus.

2. It was pouring when we reached there, but still, Jiufen is a nice countryside kind of place that has been tainted by tourism. Nevertheless, the air was still fresh and scenery nonetheless nice.

3. Browsed a famous shop called Condom World. Although they are very fanciful and cute, I did not buy any. Too expensive!

4. Ate Fen Yuan Bing (·ÛÔ²±ù), World No. 1 Mushroom (ÌìϵÚÒ»¹½), Sotong Balls (»¨Ö¦Íè), Red Date Meat Balls (ºìÔæÈâÔ²). Once again, Taiwanese finger food taste heavenly!

5. Took cab straight to JiLong (»ù¡). It is a busy, hustling harbour located Northeast of Taipei. Along the way, I chatted with the taxi driver and he gave us a good perspective of Taiwan and recommended some nice places to visit.

6. Went to a temple in a cave called Xian Dong (Ïɶ´¿Ó). Nothing special except we've got a good view of Jilong when we walked up the caves.

7. Visited Zhong Zheng Garden (ÖÐÕý»¨Ô°). Very nice statue of GuanYin there.

8. Proceeded to Bisha Harbour (±Ìɳº£¸Û). Nice view of the sea and had seafood dinner there. Chose some weird looking shells, a fish that was killed right in front of us, prawns and more. Not really nice.

9. On the way back to Taipei, I called up a Taiwanese lady whom I got to know on a travel forum. Arranged for a meetup with her.

10. She brought along her elder sis and we had a nice chat at a Bubble tea resturant at Xi Men Ding. Coincidentally, they are staying nearby our hotel. About 5 mins walking distance away. They've provided quite a number of useful tips and advices on how to proceed with our Taipei journey. I'm very impressed with the hospitality of Taiwanese girls. Or am I lucky to meet them?

"Taiwan Day Three & Four"

[DAY THREE]

1. Took early morning train to YiLan (ÒËÀ¼), a relaxing city southeast of Taipei. The ride lasted 1 1/2 hours.

2. Was a bit lost when we reached there, because it was an impromptu decision. I did not do much research on this city.

3. Tried to rent a car from some shops, but was rejected. Apparently, they only accept Taiwanese car license because there is a history of foreigners raking in a lot of traffic offences and ended up the owners paying the fine.

4. Took cab to Yilan Cultural Centre. A lot of traditional chinese exhibits and foodies were on display. Bought some foodies to distribute to relatives and friends.

5. YiLan is actually a scenic place bustling with activities but we did not have enough time for the sea sports. So we went back Taipei early.

6. As there were no more seats left, we have to stand for 2 hrs on a cheaper but slower train back. :(

7. Had dinner at a knife sliced noodles (µ¶Ï÷Ãæ) shop. Chose beef noodles but it was not my cup of noodles.

8. After dinner, the 4 of us went separate ways for "own time own target" activities.

9. Walked along Zhong Xiao Dong Lu (ÖÒТ¶«Â·). The equivalent of Orchard Road in Taipei. Unfortunately, it was not as exciting as Orchard Road.

10. Took MRT to Taipei Main Station and visited the 12 storey Shin Kong Department Store (йâÈýÔ½). There were elevator girls operating the lifts and I kinda felt sorry for them. It is a mechanical and boring job pressing the lift buttons for patrons.

11. Took MRT to LongShan temple station to see this famous ancient temple. However, it was already closed when I reached there at 10pm.

12. Walked over to Huaxi Street Night Market (»ªÎ÷½Ö) to take a look at the notorious snakes and turtle shop. They were selling snake wine, bladders, blood and turtle soup. It was quite gross looking the remains of those creatures hung at the shop.

[DAY FOUR]

1. Took bus 260 from Xi Men Ding to Yang Ming Shan (ÑôÃ÷ɽ). Journey lasted about an hour.

2. Trekked up the mountains on the Qi Xing Shan (ÆßÐÇɽ) trail. The track is about 2km long and a number of paths were pretty steep. It doesn't help that it was drizzling as we huffed and puffed.

3. Met some Taiwanese uncles and aunties near the top. I was amazed that they go up the mountains 3 times a week! Made me feel so inferior.

4. Was disappointed at the mountain top because it was foggy up there. Couldn't get a good view of Taipei City.

5. Made our way down the mountains. I was very proud of myself that I can conquer such a height. :D

6. Wanted to relax ourselves at a hot spring, but most of them were closed because it was a Monday.

7. Made our way to Dan Shui (µ­Ë®), a beautiful seaside town North of Taipei.

8. Walked along the old street and visited a weird musuem displaying weird creatures. An eye opener.

9. Took cab to Fisherman's Wharf (ÓæÈËÂëÍ·), the filming site of Taiwanese drama Meteor Garden (Which made F4 famous)

10. Wanted to take nice sunset pictures, but it was overcast. :(

11. Returned to the Old Street for some finger food. Had Fried Durian. Very special.

12. Bought Danshui goodies back to distribute.

13. Back to Taipei's Gong Guan Night Market (¹«¹ÝÒ¹ÊÐ) for our nightly food hunt. A lot of Uni students walking around as National Taiwan University is just nearby.

"Taiwan Day Five & Six"

[DAY FIVE]

1. Went to Wulai (ÎÚÀ´), an aboriginal village south of Taipei. The journey lasted about an hour.

2. It is high up the mountains, and the scenery is quite nice along the way.

3. Had to pay entrance fee of SGD2.5 at the entrance. Quite touristy.

4. Took pictures of 80m high Wulai waterfall.

5. Had a lunch of aboriginal food. So so only.

6. Went up Yun Xian Le Yuan (ÔÆÏÉÀÖÔ°) on cable car, a theme park that cost SGD11.

7. A bit disappointed that there weren't aboriginal dances in there. Probably it was a weekday and there weren't many tourists around.

8. On the way down, we went to a hot spring resort and relaxed ourselves. Cost each of us about SGD17.

9. Back to Taipei to pig on Mala steamboat buffet. Have a great chat with the boss who was very amused by the sheer number of Singaporeans patronizing his shop at the same time.

10. Shopped around at Ximending, as usual.

[DAY SIX]

1. Visited CKS Memorial Hall (ÖÐÕý¼ÍÄîÌÃ), National Theater, National Concert Hall and 228 peace park(¶þ¶þ°ËºÍƽ¹«Ô°). A mad rush!!!

2. Ate Ah Zong Mian Xian for the final time.

3. Checked out at 12pm and took cab to the airport. On the way, the driver talked a lot about Taiwanese politics. In a way, it's great to listen from a commoner's point of view, but I avoided commenting about it.

4. Arrived in Singapore at 6:45pm. Back to routine work again. :(

Good Ground Hotel Taipei

by tessagoh

Hi, i'm going Taipei on 06/12 for 7days and i've booked Good Ground Hotel Taipei, not sure if this is a good hotel for 3 stars cat. I'm going with a 4yrs old child and my mother. We book a family room of 2 double bed @ NT1600.

Have any friends here stay in this hotel before?
Can give me some advise on the cheapest way to go to this hotel from airport.

Thanks

RE: Good Ground Hotel Taipei

by nuttyazn

Minghui reported:
GoodGround is a nice no frills Hotel. Dont expect too much but is clean, with the necessary toiletries and clean Sheets/Towels everyday.

I think, you can take GuoGuang(KuoKuang) Bus from TTIA (Airport) Taipei Main Station and then take a cab (NTD80)/Max)

Comments