Royal Castle

Great Value!

Costs Less than similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Over Rated, Over Priced!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2008

Stayed at this hotel after reading good reviews, and I must say, I'm a bit baffled.

Firstly, the entire hotel smells of mildew, smoke, and various pungent chemical based floral fragrances. (I suppose these fragrances are sprayed heavily in the hotel in an attempt to disguise the old mildew smell).

I find it hard to believe that this hotel was renovated two years ago. The carpets need replacing and the furnishings are certainly not new. I stayed in two different rooms. One had no windows, the other had a large metal sling attached to the middle of the floor where you could trip over it. They attempted to hide this with a curtain?

This place struck me as a "sex" hotel with cheesy furnishings and odd and disturbing odors.

It was also tremendously overpriced at $87. My friend and I concurred that we would not come back if it were $25 a night. The entire hotel was wet with mildew. (Have I mentioned this?)

The breakfast was a classic. I've stayed in many hundreds of hotels in some 40 countries, ranging from 1 Star to 5 Star. This breakfast tied for the worse ever in our opinion.
Add to that, the breakfast staff had a gnarly, "getta outta' here" attitude. As if "getting out of there" was a bad idea?

So we did "get outta there" and the manager apologized profusely and paid us $100 Taiwanese dollars to eat at the coffee shop next door. Which by the way, only covered the cost of one cup of coffee each.

On the plus: Nice pillow, nice blanket. Free internet in your room.

However, that's not nearly enough to get either of us to go back!

Nearby Royal Castle

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Room Service
  • Business Services

Taipei Travel Forum

Need advice about Taipei, Taiwan? Visit the Travel Forum for Taipei and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Taipei hotel reviews