3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Evening market at AmphawaEvening market at Amphawa

Passenger boat in AmphawaPassenger boat in Amphawa

Outdoor cafe in AmphawaOutdoor cafe in Amphawa

Grocery StoreGrocery Store

What about accommadation near Amphawa Floating Market?

by myhappiness

I plan to Amphawa Floating Market and stay for 2-3 days so anyone know the best hotels? please suggest....

Thank you in advance !!!

Re: What about accommadation near Amphawa Floating Market?

by Cha_Cha

Baan Amphawa Resort & Spa features clusters of Ruan Thai, the Thai house, which best represent the atmosphere of Amphawa. Come to experience the Thai way of life and stay in Ruan Thai, this will be your unforgettable vacation experience.

Re: What about accommadation near Amphawa Floating Market?

by frank_bkk

There's a blog here with info on where to stay:

Travel Tips for Amphawa

Peaceful Water Town on Stilts

by travelpug

"Nostalgic Town"

If it wasn't a friend from Samut Songkhram, I wouldn't have the fortunate chance to visit Amphawa. The truth is, as a Malaysian, I had never heard of the name, let alone to visit. But to my pleasant surprise, Amphawa has turned out to be one of my favorite places that I have visited in Thailand.

Amphawa is a district located in the province of Samut Songkhram. It is about 60km away from Bangkok. It makes a nice day trip from Bangkok. The more popular Damnoen Saduak floating market is nearby. So, you can throw two birds with one stone if you pay a visit to Samut Songkhram.

I visited Amphawa in mid afternoon, there wasn't many tourists at all. We parked our car and walked towards a coffee shop. I didn't know that the the back (or was it the front?) of the coffee shop actually opens to a canal. The canal is like the main street on the small town. On both sides of the canal, there are rows of old houses facing the canal. There is a walkway that links each houses and shops. Visitors can walk on the walkway from one shop to another. There are staircases that lead to the canal. My friend told me that the water level will rise in the late afternoon. Therefore, Amphawa floating market will start later in the afternoon. Well, due to time constrain, we didn't stay late enough to see the floating market. But I definitely enjoyed my 2 hours stay in Amphawa.

"Transportation"

Local people use boats as the main transportation.

Ta Lad Nam AmPhaWa!*

by Wann

"The afternoon floating market"

Most oversea visitors go to the famous DamnoenSaduag floating market but here I visited another one, real market, so nice in relaxing atmosphere. It is Amphawa floating market. It’s different from other floating market as it operates in the late afternoon and last till the evening and only on weekend Friday to Sunday.

Amphawa is a lovely place. I enjoyed so much the local food, many Thai food and Thai sweet dessert. There is some nice small places as a look of coffee shop or small restaurant along the canal, some set up on footpath beside canal. I saw many visitor sit and enjoy the lively view beside the canal. It’s get more lively when the sun nearly goes down. Many boats carry local food, vegetable, and fruit for selling. Another popular activity can be seen there is a boat tour which operate day and night. Here this place I still see almost visitors is Thai.

To get here, just drive one hour down south of Bangkok in the area go to Samut Songkhram province, the floating market is in the area of Wat Amphawan Jatiyaram temple.

See more detail at my Samut Songkhram page.

Comments