171 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 11, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand

Suwarat's Profile Photo

New Look! Ambassador Hotel Bangkok

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2009

Ambassador Hotel was renovated all rooms, grand lobby, restaurant and other outlets. Now guest can use internet access in room by LAN internet access. The location is the best, just a short walk BTS Skytrain (Nana Station) and many famous dining, entertainment and shopping center.

The price is reasonable and easy to book through online.

Unique Quality: There are full functionalities in hotel area such as swimming pool, spa, health club, business center, shopping arcade and supermarket.

Directions: In the city, you can take a taxi to there around 500 Baht (from airport).

Verdone's Profile Photo

Jekyll and Hyde

by written on January 15, 2009

I have stayed here two different times. The first time I was steered to this hotel at the airport and actually got a pretty good deal, around $80 USD for a tower room. I recently went back for a few nights and was charged around $130 USD. My first experience was enough to make me come back a second time. The second time experience was not enought to make me come back a third time. The front desk is understaffed everytime, you will always wait for too much time for service at the front desk. The hotel bar staff is friendly and attentive. The overall experience is not worth the price. You can find other hotels in Bangkok that are less expensive and offer a better experience. The buffet at the Ambassador is excellent I have to admit. The food is perfect and the selection is amazing! Unfortunately, it is not enough to make me stay here again.

Unique Quality: Excellent buffet and several bars and restaurants on the premises!

drjlim's Profile Photo

Very, very old hotel, but convenient location

by written on September 1, 2007

Stayed in this hotel last December... booked the tower wing since it is newer and is more expensive... only to find out that the rooms are old..very very old, though everything is still functional... too bad, because locationwise, this hotel gets good grades... near BTS station with several money exchange centers nearby, and a 7-11. Breakfast is ok, though they tend to change only one viand out of the handfull to choose from everyday, so after 4 days, seeing the same food during breakfast is really a downer....going back? Only if I'm in a tight budget..

ITjetsetter's Profile Photo

by written on March 27, 2007

great location and very good option for short stops. good room rate at the desk without booking. quite old rooms.

Unique Quality: nice pool inside.
two of the most know disco two minutes walking distance from the hotel.

Directions: SUKHUMVIT

AmirulSyah's Profile Photo

Old but beautiful!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 10, 2007

We stayed here for only one night - on our last day in Bangkok - the intention was to enable us to tour Sukhumvit area before departing to Phuket the next day.

The Hotel is huge and we were directted to the tower rooms - i can say the place was luxurious although a bit old - so much better than Silom's Tower Inn.

The room is equipped with Thai wooden furniture and there are Thai crafts on the room walls. The view of the outside was gret as we could see the busy Bangkok highways from our 25th floor room. The room has a fridge and the toilet has bath tub and was very clean. The king sized bed was very comfortable to sleep on.

Even the buffet breakfast was superb.

We booked the room via DirectRooms.com and we recommend you do the same for your hotel booking - good, efficient service and hassle free.

Unique Quality: If to compare the hotel with one in Kuala Lumpur - it probably has the same quality as Hilton (the old hotel beside Wisma Genting) - wish we'd stayed there longer than a night!

alvis's Profile Photo

2nd Time Lucky? F***ing Worse - Prey On Tourists

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 20, 2006

THE LARGEST HOTEL IN THE AREA AND BY FAR THE WORST. THIS IS THE 1ST TIME I HAVE WALKED OUT OF A HOTEL EARLY (WITH NO REFUND) THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE. I LIVE IN BANGKOK, I WORK FOR AN ATTA TOUR AND TRAVEL COMPANY AND HAVE INSPECTED AND STAYED IN OVER 30 HOTELS IN THAILAND. THIS HOTEL PREYS ON TOURISTS WHO DON'T KNOW THE VALUE OF THE BAHT OR WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A DECENT QUALITY HOTEL, PLEASE AVOID THIS WHERE POSSIBLE.

I had recently been inspecting hotels for my tour company and returning to the Ambassador made me realise how terrible it really is. A number of hotels I had inspected the day before (same price range) were much better quality and price. Some of these included The Mandarin, The Plaza, The Tawana Ramada.

The room service is around 3 times the price of any other hotel in the area and is low quality. For the price of 1 burger you can get nearly 3 super size Big Mac meals delivered to your door from McDonald's. They try to steal money from tourists at every chance they get.

Firstly my bathroom flooded soaking all my clothes. I later had to take these soaking clothes to a new hotel after they tried charging my girlfriend of 3 years 650bt to be on the property. I had paid for another night but refused to pay the 650bt for "the outsider" to call at the hotel and moved 2 mins down the road to Business Inn (600bt a night). This proved to be cheaper. My girlfriend had just finished an 8 hour shift and didn't need the gatoey manager (LADY BOY) calling her a whore to my face.

I can honestly not believe this hotel can be this bad, returning a 2nd time (Swiss Park was full) I thought it impossible to be worse than my 1st stay but amazingly it was worse, it really is unbelievable.

If you are forced to stay here book a non-smoking room. They will give you a room on the 7th (highest) floor where you avoid looking onto a building site. Booking the Swiss Park next door is a better option. If you don't need a pool & other amenities you can go to Business Inn for 1/3 of the price.

Unique Quality: Almost everything is unique in the wrong way. No hotel in Thailand has the unique bad qualities that this hotel has it is honestly a joke.

Directions: Sukhumvit Soi 11, close to Nana BTS Skytrain

Nice hotel but needs refurb

by written on June 23, 2006

Nice hotel, we stayed here on our second stop in Bangkok.
We upgraded our room to a suite, and would not have called it a suite.
We had great views of the city in fact spectacular, but rooms just need updating.
Could have better in Bangkok. Again great location though due to be central to sky train and shopping.

Unique Quality: Great breakfast on offer, if a little to much like a school canteen

alvis's Profile Photo

Avoid Like The Plague

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 19, 2006

I booked 3 nights in the Ambassador over Songkran. I had just arrived back from Malaysia so the girlfriend stayed over for the night before returning home the next day. I was charged an extra 600 baht for the night and the people were very rude.

After a meal at Fuji we returned to the hotel with our mate Am. We were only returning to get changed before going out that night but security wouldn't let us in till they had seen my girlfriends ID. They were also very rude to our mate Am (treated her like a hooker) and would not let her upstairs with us. I asked if she could even go up for 5 minutes to get changed but no luck. We had to pay another 600 baht so she was able to get changed in our room. This happened everytime we returned to the hotel so we had no choice but to stay away or the GF would sometimes sneak up the back entrance when visiting. Because of this I never got to use any of the facilities cause we were treated like dirt anytime we arrived.

The room was dodgy, the views were terrible the fridge did not work, the aircon in the bathroom was dripping from the roof and all round the hotel there was dripping aircons and stained floors beneath.

On leaving I was asked to pay 3 nights for my girlfriend who was booked in to stay only the 1 night. She started work again the day after we arrive back from Malaysia and had not stayed in the room. Because she had not told reception the morning after she stayed that she was leaving she was charged for 3 nights. I had only booked 1 night for her and paid up front but they continued to argue saying she had been seen in my room the next day (a blatant lie) and after 30 mins of arguing they finally give in.

I have honestly never been to a worse place in my life and I have stayed in probably over 20 hotels in Thailand. This place is a disgrace.

Unique Quality: I can honestly not think of any. I did enjoy the all night bar but only because I knew we were leaving the next day.

RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

Perfectly central

by written on April 11, 2006

This ideal hotel was just what we were looking for so after cutting short our stay in Chiang Mai, we booked 3 more nights here. On the Sukhumvit Rd, we were central to everything...the Skytrain, The World Trade Centre Shopping Mall, all those amazing food stalls, in fact everything you needed to see. A huge round hotel with 750 rooms and suites and we were on the 21st floor of the tower building. The rooms were round too and being so high had wonderful views of Bangkok city. There are eight restaurants in this hotel and huge tropical fish tanks lined the walkthru from Reception to rooms. This hotel was really reasonable for its category and I would highly recommend a few days stay there. The staff are friendly,warm and professional.

Unique Quality: Outdoor seafood bbq evenings on a huge terrace.

trickydick's Profile Photo

Sukhumvit Road value

by written on September 16, 2005

be aware that on a regular basis, this city fills up completely.
dont take it for granted you will get a room, or that you can stay another night
i have heard about his, and witnessed it firsthand
was rudely refused another night at a 'business hotel' on sukhumvit. ended up at the ambassador for cheaper and were very pleased
a little dated but great value

Unique Quality: nothing special.clean, nice place perhaps needing updating. we paid 1000bht. i think we got a good price. nice views from tower. cant really compare with much
mildly helpful and amusing story .....
.We had booked a cheapo from the airport upon arrival. ( 600bht) motel, kinda dirty.actually VERY dirty as we had suffered some flea bites over the night. moved to a 4 0r 5 story walkup business hotel. i was happy for 850bht. cozy, well furnished, fridge,tv,big bed,small room.more than i needed but comfortable. i believe after 2 nights there we asked to extend but they simply said 'full'. Not a big deal, but would have been nice to be forewarned? then again we never asked mentioned staying longer. We left on foot to find a hotel, many expensive choices, some not nice enough, but most sold out completely.! we began to get a little concerned. then we found the last room at the Ambassador. almost didnt go in because although it didnt look that fancy, it seemed they would also be (over)priced. they were NOT! they held the room for us ( just by first name, no cc) we promised to be back in 30 minutes.... when we returned the man in front of us in line was told they were sold out ..... happily our room was still being held. fair price for their last room, the price actually lower than, but pretty much the same as I had reasearched on the web prior to my trip.

and again- sorry for low quality pics. $100 'toy' from japan i couldnt pass up( 6 years ago)

Directions: sukh / soi 11
on skytrain line. easy access to all in bangkok.
very close to X- night life, though I did not have the pleasure to partake..............
large beer garden directly out front...
lots of ladyboys. more than usual .

mustvirtual's Profile Photo

Sukhumvit central Hotel Best value!

by written on June 30, 2005

After reading the many discouraging reviews about this hotel i was not too sure whether to stay there. But as i wanted to stay in that location of Bangkok i thought i would give it a try. And to my suprise i was very impressed with the Ambassador hotel. Check in and check out were fast and friendly, the room (one of the old ones in the main wing) was nicely appointed (and sure a little old), the breakfast was lovely and the pool very clean. The only (very small issue) is that the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. Now all of this is based on the price. I have stayed in many hotels in bangkok and must say that this is by far the best for the price. You need to realise that it is not a 4 or 5 star hotel but around a 2 start and for the price you get a very nice room and good service. I think where people get dissapointed is when they are expecting a 4 star hotel for a 2 star price. If you realise that its a 2 star hotel, very clean and comfortable, then you will be very happy here. This hotel is now my favoured hotel in Bangkok and i will be returning.

Unique Quality: The Ambassador is extremely proud of its range of Designer Suites, We recognize various needs and life styles, thus we created different facilities for everyone. The magnificent Ambassador and Bangkok Suites for example were designed for both business and leisure purposes and offer very personal service, total privacy and extreme comfort. We also have our "Cities of Asia" range of suites from which to choose.

Directions: Located on Sukhumvit Road, a prime business residential, and entertainment district in Bangkok. Our fabulous location is just minutes away from the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre.

mnhaus's Profile Photo

Above Average

by written on March 28, 2005

I stayed here just as a stopover for one night as we arrived at midnight from the international flight and took off for Chiang Mai the next afternoon. I liked this place though, it was clean and pretty well located in the Sukhumvit area. The prices had risen about 20% from the first time I scouted it though, and for $40 per night you can probably find a better hotel in Bangkok....

Unique Quality: It's a highrise so you can get some decent views out of your window if you face the right direction.

1W1V's Profile Photo

to be avoided

by written on November 22, 2004

Just 2 nights.
The room are old and smelly.
The massive hotel cannot deal with so much guest !
The breakfast is worst than a food distribution in South Sudan (I know what I am talking about).
Too many families, to little facilities.
This hotel is especially targeting Indian and Middle East Customer.

Unique Quality: Location is not too bad

glydel75's Profile Photo

generally okay, but the room had a stuffy smell

by written on October 22, 2004

i stayed there for 2 nights. basically their rooms are a bit old so don't expect nice buttons and new carpets. but it was clean. the lobby had that grand effect, the one you usually see on brand new hotels in the 80s. breakfast buffet had a variety of dishes and that was really the highlight of my stay. :) plus the fact that just across the street, there's a massage parlor and you can get the whole thai body massage for THB 300.

DarkRay's Profile Photo

Convenient & Affordable Tourist Class Hotel

by written on June 30, 2004

The Ambassador Bangkok was probably a "higher class" hotel than it currently is some years ago. Despite its age, it has a grand reception area, and large built-up areas which included convention halls, its own attached shopping malls (although quite vacant) and even its own bird park! Most important of all, it has a very friendly bunch of service staff. All the staff which I had encountered during my stay, whether from reception or housekeeping were helpful and approachable.

That being said, I still must emphasis that due to the age of the hotel, one should stay in the slightly more expensive Tower Wing, as its room are newer. I had heard from fellow travellers that the rooms in the Main Wing were rather rundown. I had stayed with 2 other of my friends in a triple-sharing room of the Tower Wing when I was at Bangkok, and although the room was clean, it was obviously quite old and not very well-litted. Not a problem during the day as one side of the wall was a full height window. But at night, the electrical lightings could have been better.

My room was nevertheless spacious and a more than comfortable place to retire to every night.

My friends and I got the room via the internet and paid US$54 each night for our triple-sharing room in the Tower Wing, inclusive of breakfast for all 3 of us.

The included breakfast was good, consisting of a good spread of American breakfast items like ham and toast, among local delights such as fried noodles and porridge. Bacon strips were however only available during weekends.

Unique Quality: The best features of the hotel are its fantastic location and recognition.

As I had mentioned earlier, it was probably a "higher class" and better known hotel before, and also due to its being around for a while already, almost every local (and most important the taxi drivers) know of its location once you mention "Ambassador Hotel".

Being located in Sukhumvit area and within the famous "Nana Entertainment Area", access to both orthodox and "alternative" entertainments are just as easy. And my favourite part was that the Nana BTS Station was only 5 minutes away and a 7-Eleven just a minute away!

Directions: Near the Nana area, and very near the Nana BTS

• Suites
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Bangkok Travel Forum

Need advice about Bangkok, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Bangkok and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bangkok hotel reviews