Anantara Riverside Spa & Resort, Bangkok

Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 32% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Bangkok Marriott Resort Thailand

Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa is a city resort with a difference. The resort has facility that a business or leisure traveler could wish for; yet with its classical Thai architecture, lush gardens and cool river breezes, it offers all the tranquility of a resort.

• Best in Bangkok

This hotel is great for all the family with a lovely spa and pool and many restaurants and bars all in the same complex.The rooms are all great to with many having jaccuzi and all have very comfatable beds.The staff are lovely and very helpful and there is a free shuttle boat to center of Bankok
    Prices are brilliant!

Unique Quality: Pool views gym buffet breakfast pool bar

Directions: on the river

• Wonderful base for visiting Bangkok

We spent four nights there this month and were absolutely enchanted. Nothing we could fault.

Unique Quality: The hotel is quiet being located on the river and not in town. It is great getting the shuttle boat which takes you to the pier where all the ferries leave from and return and it is at the skytrain terminal.

• Sad example of a supposedly Good hotel

We visited Bangkok for 5 days from September 1 to 5. Our stay had been arranged and we were attedning a friends wedding taking place in the same hotel, so it was very convenient knowing the Bangkok traffic to attend the wedding & reception in the same place. Upon checking out, I was presented with my bill for the room and as we had hardly been in at all, the bill was pretty simple. That is till I got to the phones section. I had been charged an exorbitant amount for the phones (US$2+++) per minute for local calls and even higher to local mobiles. Calling my family and friends proved to be 30% of my entire hotel bill. when I complained that there was no notice in the room anywhere stating these charges, I was simply shrugged off and told that if I did not settle the bill, they would not release my luggage. I asked to see the manager and was told he was too busy to see guests!! Amazing. I managed to speak to an assistant manager who stodd impassively and repeated that it was my right to complain but he could do nothing. Pay up or else.

So beware, get a local phone chip and do not use the services in the room as it is a scam. I could have called home to HK for far lower from the shop outside the hotel.

The Mandara spa was quite nice but was about 6 times the price of the spa's right outside the hotel in the attached shopping mall, all of which were very nice as well.

The hotel is nice, but the overall lack of care in the service manner has left me wondering if Thailand is simply fed up of tourists seeking some sort of old world charm - forget it, it doesn't exist here.

Unique Quality: Nice location with a great shuttle to town, alighting right next to the Bangkok Skytrain. Very useful.

• kyoub's Profile Photo

River View

We arrived at this hotel to spend the last night of our first trip to Thailand.
    We had wanted a hotel near the river and we were not disappointed.

The room was very nice and everyone at the hotel went out of their way to be of help.
    A very friendly staff.

There was a bowl of fruit and an orchid in our room when we arrived. I thought that was very nice.

Unique Quality: The hotel is huge but we still got personal service. Our plane left quite early the following morning so they brought coffee and pastry to our door at 5:15am.

There are views of the river from the balcony and if that is not enough, they also provide a river cruise. You can take the short cruise for evening cocktails or a longer cruise for dinner.

• Tippecanoe's Profile Photo

Out of the way but still connected

Just left JW Phuket before coming here, so the service decreased a bit, but it was still wonderful and a beautiful property. Try to get a conceirge room, as the lounge was incredible. Free wonderful food and drinks from 4-8pm. We aren't supper cheap, but this was a deal that even we couldn't pass up as it seemed silly to buy dinner, so we just ate big lunches as we were out and about and ate snacks there each evening. Breakfast was also included. Didn't care for the boat dinner cruise much as I didn't feel the food was exceptional and the view was hard to see. Breakfast was good but nothing to write home about. Trader Vics has a great bar and evening entertainment that was super and loads of fun to the baby boomer generation.

Nice spa but expensive. The rooms were beautiful and they were excellent.

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A wonderful hotel.

This hotel is enormous situated in low rise Thai style building on the west bank of Chao Phaya River on 10 acres with beautiful tropical gardens. We booked this hotel on their website and got a good rate, they e-mailed us back saying they would pick us up at the airport. As soon as we hopped into the air-conditioning car we were handed fresh bottled water and a cool towel. We also used this service on departing.

Check in was fast and efficient and we were offered a junior suite for a little extra which we took. Our suite 570 was very spacious with a separate study, internet broadband connection, working desk and two chairs, tea and coffee facilities were also provided. The bedroom was large with wooden floors, a fantastic comfortable king size bed , bedside tables, lamps, mini bar, large TV cabinet with DVD player, dressing table and small coffee table with chair and ottoman. Large sliding glass doors lead out to an enormous side balcony with table and chairs magnificent views of the river.

The bathroom was normal size with shower over the bath, two bathrobes and slippers were supplied.

Unique Quality: There are so many restaurants in this hotel; one does not really need to venture downtown. There is Beihana restaurant which has Japanese teppanyaki, the Manohra if you want to dine and take a river cruise. An excellent Chinese restaurant, the Traders Vic Restaurant, which serves international cuisine and has live entertainment. The Riverside Terrace which has traditional Thai dancing for entertainment plus a brilliant buffet dinner.

The swimming pool is average size but has jet spas with a sit in water bar. The only thing which would make it better would be the temperature; the water was far too warm for serious swimming. There are plenty of deck chairs, umbrellas, tables and chairs available.

The best thing in this hotel is the spa resort which is housed in a separate Thai building. There are so many treatments you can choose from, or you can just indulge yourself in one of the many herbal baths available. All the private massage room are wonderful with separate dressing rooms attached. This is a must do, if staying here.

The staffs are amazing, so polite, respectful and gracious. Sometimes, a little over attentive.

The Marriott is not close to downtown, so you need to use the hotel’s ferry which goes every 15minutes and connects to the sky train.

For good shopping catch the train into Siam and visit the MGK store for some good bargains. Chilled fresh towels and bottled water was supplied on the ferry home. (Wonderful gesture).

.Cons: A long way from the city, if you wanted to experience Bangkok nightlife or do business. The river stinks at low tide and if you happen to be near the swimming pool, the smell can literally make you sick. (Not hotels fault) The spa treatments are expensive.

Tip: Book your spa treatments on arrival as it always booked out, especially if you want early appointments. There is an ATM machine in the small shopping plaza connected to the entrance of the hotel. There is also KFC and McDonalds if the kids want their favourite meals.

• northernbaldy's Profile Photo

Four Star Resort

Offers a wide range of restaurants across quite a large hotel.

The hotel is right on the river with many of the rooms offering river views (though admittedly the river in Bangkok is not the most attractive)

There's a large pool with plenty of sun loungers, fitness centre and a spa (did not try the spa)

The hotel offers the usual large buffet breakfast catering for all tastes.

Unique Quality: The staff provide very attentive service.

Once of the nice things about the hotel, is that they provide a river boat ferry sevice every fifteen minutes to the Sky Train that runs through the heart of Bangkok. Very quick and efficient way of getting around.

On Friday nights, the hotel organises a Thai Kick Boxing Fight and Meal event for hotel residents.

• heryanta's Profile Photo

Fantastic Hotel & Dining

Stayed here for a few days when I had to attend meetings and my parents were visiting. Overall I was very impressed with the hotel.
    Service is excellent as expected from a higher-end hotel in Bangkok; the rooms were large, in excellent condition and the hotel is beautiful - surrounded by gardens and the Chao Phraya river.

Dining at the hotel was also a good experience. We had teppanyaki in the Japanese restaurant that was a lot of fun, and their breakfast was generous and of good quality. They also offer dining cruise on the river, which we did mostly for the experience rather than for the food, but was pleasantly surprised to learn that the food was good.

As mentioned in the hotel official name, the hotel has a large spa facilities - go ahead and have yourself pampered. It is expensive compared to the other spa's in Bangkok, but still cheap by Western standard. It is really a top-quality spa with everything you expect from one: professional staff, clean facilities, sauna and jacuzzi.

The hotel also offers free water shuttle (=boat ride) to the Saphan Thaksin Sky Train (monorail) station so even though you are not in the city center, getting there is never a problem.

• cchiuching's Profile Photo

Super Service Good Experience

The swimming pool is nice.
    The Gym is nice. Aerobics, fitball class etc is ready for u to join. Even when there is only one ppl, the class will still start. There is a table showing the schedule of all classes for the coming week. You are free to walk in and join.
    Saunna facility nice.

Room is nice. I don't understand why they need down blanket in Bangkok! airconditioning is very strong.
    Receptionist is very friendly. she even walked us to our room and told us the service and facility!
    i lost my own toothbrush and i only found out the fact at 2am! i called to reception and they arranged a guy to bring me a toothbrush FREE! so nice~
    i love wooden floor in the room. There is also a balcony.

Bar atmosphere good. live band. bar tenderess recommended a non-alcoholic drinks for me. good.
    eating by the pool also good.
    mosquitoes is a problem.
    restaurant food here is much better than the other 5-star hotel nearby.
    overall atmosphere very relaxing.
    a small shopping mall next to the hotel, convenient to buy books or nice thai gifts or get fast food or to eat cheaper.

receptionist even volunteered to check if i could do a late check-out when she knew that my flight back to HK was late in the evening. Even when late check-out was not available, she suggested me to check-out at noon and then i could still use the swimming pool or i could go to the gym and enjoy sauna before i left for aiport.
    transport OK - you could take the ferry from hotel to a skytrain station and go to various places.
    or take a taxi.
    Just a pity the staff would not help u say to the driver: METER
    i took a taxi to the airport, the driver refused to use Meter saying that the hotel is too far away.
    i forgot if i paid 300-400 Baht for it.
    my friend faced the same problem.

i even saw a big iguana walking in the bush in the hotel garden! What a natural feel!

Breakfast buffet - lots of variety! i love fish soup noodles, waffles in blueberry sauce.

Room rate: HKD832, 2006 Nov

• An oasis of calm

A liitle out of town on the river but with the free shuttle bus, skytrain and river taxis it is simple to get around. After a day in the city, sitting on a boat straight back to your hotel with a cold towel and bottle of iced water is hard to beat.

We booked a deluxe river view room and it exceeded our expectations. the hotel is beautifully laid out and imaginatively landscaped. The pool area is excellent although it is the deepest hotel pool i've come across. Does it really need to be 3m deep?!

The breakfast buffet was divine and included in the tariff. The evening buffet is worth trying and is of a very high quality.

I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in Bangkok.

• TracyLB's Profile Photo

A Resort Within the City

WE just loved this hotel...Our room was on the 7th floor and overlooked the pool and the Chao Phraya River..The staff was extremely friendly..The breakfast buffet was delicious, the room was cleaned twice a day..The bed was huge and so soft with 5 or 6 pillows..The bathroom was huge...Just loved it...They had a free river taxi which dropped u off at the Skytrain Station...or u could take another river taxi and visit other attractions...

Unique Quality: Gorgeous Lobby, huge pool, beautifully landcaped, nice rooms, nice view of the river...everything was perfect..Best staff ever..

• monaco05's Profile Photo

Resort Heaven in Busy Bangkok

Anyone looking to unwind before heading back home should definitely stay in this hotel. I just cannot get over the fact that there is such an oasis in crazy, busy Bangkok!

The check in staff were pretty efficient. The room I requested for was not available so they gave me a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. We had to wait for a while before we could go to the room but the check in area was lovely and I had no complaints waiting there.

The room was amazing! Huge luxurious bed with plenty of puffy pillows... balcony with a view of the river... bathroom with separate shower and bath tub, and two sinks... tv with dvd player (the tv a bit too far from the bed). Had to drag ourselves out of the room to the pool...

The pool, the lovely pool! Yes, in this kind of resort, you expect kids running around, screaming their heads off so try to find a corner where it's quieter. Order some food and beer, lie on the deck chair all afternoon reading your favourite magazine, get a tan... that's heaven. You feel like you're on a beach resort, not Bangkok!

For dinner, try to get out of the hotel unless you're willing to pay a lot. The shopping centre just outside the hotel has a few restaurants. The staff recommended us a local restaurant nearby - where we spent the same amount for dinner as we did for two glasses of wine in the hotel! Breakfast was not that great - I kinda expected more from a branded hotel.

An amazing hotel

• stappm's Profile Photo

Great Hotel on the River!

Honestly I love this hotel, went back twice in 2005 & 3 times in 2006. It is one of the best places I have ever stayed, ever! I dream of being there!

The Resort and Spa is one of 3 or 4 luxury hotels on the river in Bangkok. They have a river shuttle that is convienent and brings you right to the Sky Train. The Sky Train Dock was also a great drop off location for Taxi's and Tour Bus' (make them pick you up at the hotel) as traffic in the afternoon can be insane and the ride over the bridge by car could be 45-60 min. The boat is quick and they serve water with cold fresh towels on the ride. The Sky Train is clean and will take you anywhere you want to go.

The Resort has a beautiful spa, but the spa's across the street at the mall are better, massage was GREAT! and less expensive. The Marriott has a tendency to trap you at their hotels/compounds so you use their services and eat at their restaurants. It has pros and cons - the facilities (5 restaurants/spa/fitness ctr) are VERY western (including the prices.) However it is a nice retreat at end of a long day and the place is so big we didn't feel trapped. The hotel will try to get you to buy the breakfast and hor'derve drink special and tack it onto the room charge daily. Don't do it. It was an additional $65 US and not worth it AT ALL! Unless you are big drinkers.... We only regularly ate the breakfast - which for 2 was less then $25 US a day. We stayed in a deluxe room and it was fabulous. Great in room Jacuzzi tub, nice view, good service. Make sure you ask for discounts - car clubs, friends and family, airline, corporate, try them all and chances are one will work. WE were 2 women traveling alone and didn't have any problems. The hotel is also nicely situated far from the Sex Industry scene of the downtown area. However, though nothing to fear, sex for sale and it's buyers are very obvious everywhere in Bangkok.

Unique Quality: Amazing gardens!
    Beautiful Pool
    Excellent Views.
    Wonderful Staff
    Great Fitness Center!
    Charming Hotel

Directions: On the River in Thornburi

• tere1's Profile Photo

The best bet to stay in Bangkok!

Excellent value for money. The hotel is amazing, with wonderful rooms, large , nicely decorated thai style . Staff is very efficient, always with a smiling face and willing to help.

Breakfast is superb, plentiful and with a large selection of Thai dishes and cold food.. Very nice swimming pool and fantastic spa. We were upgraded to a junior suite without even asking.

The several restaurants in the hotel serve excellent food.

More about Marriott Bangkok Resort N Spa

The Mayfair Apartments vs Bangkok Marriott Resort Spa by the River

by Audrey118

Has anyone been to this hotel :

The Mayfair - Marriott Executive Apartments Bangkok
60 Soi Langsuan, Lumpini, Pathumwan Bangkok, 10330

I am toying between The Mayfair or the Marriott Spa hotel by the River.
I have stayed at the latter, loved the resort feel, and the river shuttle, and its proximity to the BTS. But the Mayfair sounds good with its outstanding location... is it really that convenient???

RE: The Mayfair Apartments vs Bangkok Marriott Resort Spa by the River

by Bangkokjoe

Brother in law has stayed there.

Yep it is dead central to the main action. Sukhumvit / Ploenchit Road runs right across the end of the street. The Chidlom BTS station is 1 - 2 minutes walk. And fairly easy to get to the expressways. Loads of cabs all times of the day.

Best bit is that Lang Suan has loads of decent bistros and quality restaurants.

Wave out the window and shout "wooohooo Lynne" and you'll get a wave from a few other chums who work on Soi Ton Son.

RE: The Mayfair Apartments vs Bangkok Marriott Resort Spa by the River

by Curt1591

The Marroit is a bit out of the way.

RE: RE: The Mayfair Apartments vs Bangkok Marriott Resort Spa by the River

by Audrey118

Thanks for the very prompt reply... looks like I will try out the Mayfair. I have satyed at the both the Marriotts; JW at Sukhumvit - which I do not prefer becos of the walk to the Nana Station - it gets pretty quiet at night. While the Marriott Spa is also one of my preferred hotel becos of its boat shuttle (nice and relaxing) and its very close proximity to the train...and it is very busy and safe at the boat pier...as the other hotels by the river also run their shuttle boat there.

thanks again