296 Phayathai Road, Bangkok, 10400, Thailand

See Amenities
Applelyn's Profile Photo

Connected to BTS

by written on January 23, 2014

The rooms are big and clean. Breakfast is good. Setback is that there is no free WIFI

Unique Quality: Connected to BTS, well connected to the Airport, Siam Square and most shopping areas.

Directions: Take BTS to Ratchathewi Station and it is connected to Asia Hotel.

Wann's Profile Photo

Good Location in the heart of Bangkok

by written on May 11, 2012

When I booked this hotel, what I really consider is the location that so convenient to travel around Bangkok by skytrain. I would say it's worth every Baht I spent. The room is simple but good enough, good breakfast, good staffs. I will definately stay there again.

Directions: At Ratchathevi Skytrain Station

Scary hotel for women and children

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 27, 2011

Management doesn't give a damn about the safety of guests. Or the F-word.

I wasn’t a guest here but I was a member of the gym and pool for five years. It was cheap and very convenient. Now I’m too scared of the proverbial gym bully and management’s disinterest in female guests’ safety. Female readers, especially small ones, am I over-reacting? Imagine that, shortly before closing time, you exited the gym and entered the women’s dressing/bathroom and were confronted by the chronic (male) gym bully coming out of the shower in a towel. He then came up to you and said, “F**k you” in your face. Is it to much to expect that be barred from the gym and even the hotel? The hotel management--well, there hasn't been a gm in a long time--doesn't think it's a big deal.

Maybe if you don’t plan to use Asia Hotel Bangkok's gym or pool or their shower rooms, none of this need concern you. OTOH, if you want a cheap, musty 70’s-era hotel and don’t mind if the staff’s nominal English rules out any tourism advice, why not go up the road a bit to First Hotel? The same dining amenities, better pool, closer to the Phyathai airport train line and almost across the street from Pantip Plaza, the computer mall. Even better is Evergreen Place. It is just a little more expensive than the 70's relics and is next door to Asia Hotel. It was probably built in the 1990's. A former apartment house, Evergreen Place has better health and pool facilities. Maybe for the same price, maybe for less than US $10 more.

Anyhow, my story. From the time I started going to the gym five years ago, the bully, Prakarn, was usually there—morning, afternoon, always in the evening. So it was hard for me to avoid him, although I only spent 3-4 hours a week there. You can see his name on the timesheet, not that he signs in every time. He’s about 30, big, Chinese-Thai, longish hair. He has a fleshy, snout-like face: Pig-Face. He only speaks a few words of English, mostly confined to the f-word. For all the time he spends in the gym, he strikes you as more fat than muscular.

If you go to a gym or any place often enough, especially in Thailand, you get to know the regulars and exchange a nod or a smile, right? The daytime and evening gym staffers, Tawatchai and Wut, who are in and out, were friendly enough. I quickly noticed that Pig-Face didn’t like women or foreigners. He would look back at me blankly. I averted my eyes. On the old premises, on the 4th floor, if there were 1 or 2 or 3 foreigners in the gym with the TV on an English channel, Pig-Face would frequently walk in, turn it to a Thai channel, and walk out again. He tended to leave towels and other belongings all over the place. It was HIS gym. Of course, the hotel guests assumed he was a guest as well. I’m a small wimpy woman who weighs 50 kilos on a good day; Pig-Face can lift my weight. I tried to avoid him. To spend so much time in the gym, I assumed he worked there—probably in housekeeping or some other drudge level. Definitely not interacting with foreign guests!

One time about a year ago, when Wut was absent, I moved one of his towels. Pig-face went ballistic, “F**k you! F**k you! You ask. No move!” I came in to the hotel the next day, dressed up (this is Thailand, after all) and asked for general manager. (Turns out there is no general manager and hasn’t been for a long time—only a sales director). I can’t now find his business card—I think he was an asst gm--but he seemed a little surprised and concerned. As expected, I had to tell the story over and over. He had no idea who this Prakarn could be. (Makes you wonder about security.) I requested that he speak to Pig-Face in person. He decided otherwise: he’d talk to the two gym staff (whose names he didn’t know either). I knew that wouldn’t help much. Pig-Face spends 3-5 hours in the gym everyday. Who is he spending hours every day with, after all?

Since the move to the more spacious premises near the pool, I’ve felt safer. One of the instructors is almost always around. I don't spend that much time there. But on the night in question, Wut wasn’t around before 10 pm closing time. I was the last to leave the gym at 9:50, although Pig-Face and several other male regulars were there shortly beforehand. I go into the women’s restroom and there’s Pig-Face, wrapped in a towel, coming out of the shower area. “F**K you” to my face. I gasp and say nothing. I was shaking and my heart was pounding. Of course I didn’t dare take a shower myself. I hurried downstairs and roused whoever is the suited guy in the office behind the desk. (He didn’t give me his name or card; I’ll admit I was too rattled to ask).

All too familiar scenario. Very marginal English. He and the desk ladies originally seemed shocked by “F**k you.” But when I go in the next day, I’m told by the same pseudo-manager, “Oh, he didn’t know that was the ladies room.” Right, he’s only been coming into these facilities every day for over a year, generally using the men’s dressing room next door--and just never noticed the well-marked Ladies Room next door? Of course, an honest mistake! And “F**k you”? This is what you can expect to hear in this hotel. Don’t ask for anything special, especially you women. A little girl in the bathroom. Hey, F**k off, kid.

And now that I think about it, shouldn't this sales manager or asst asst manager have contacted me after these incidents? It suggests that management staff haven't had the most basic training in customer service.

Thai friends say that Pig-Face must be related or connected to what they call “an influential person”—probably someone in the Techaruvichit family that owns the publicly-listed Asia Hotel company. maybe to Somsak A, the sales manager. A Thai male exercise nut suggests: must be steroids, which can easily touch off rages. In any case, I’m timid and not stupid. There are other reasonable exercise and pool packages (check out Ambassador Hotel!) but this was convenient.

Unique Quality: Yes, you can exit the 2nd floor and take a walkway direct to the Ratchathewi Skytrain. But is that such an advantage? I've noticed that foreign men with prostitutes come in that route. The transsexual ones are quite big. If there were even a detective around (doubtful, the shopkeepers says) would he dare accost the kathooey? Wherever there are prostitutes, there are always theft problems.

Honestly, it's a 5-minute walk from Evergreen to the Skytrain. From 1st Hotel, it's probably a 10-minute was to either the Phayathai or Ratchathewi Skytrain stations.

by written on February 13, 2010

- situated at a convenient location
- there is a walkway leading to the Ratchathewi BTS station.
- the gate connecting the hotel to the walkway closes at about 11 pm
- 10-15 minutes walk to Pantip Plaza (IT Mall), Platinum Mall (fashion mall mostly for ladies, but they have guys and kids clothes too), Pratunam complex.

Directions: BTS Station: Ratchathewi - walkway leads to the hotel

Grinbeetle's Profile Photo

best location for shopping

by written on April 21, 2008

I've stayed in this hotel for about 5 times. Hotel staff are friendly and fluent in english. The structure itself is quite old but clean enough for me.
I usually stay here for a week, and I noticed that the food selection in the breakfast buffet only changes after four days. So sometimes I tend to loose appetite. but don't get me wrong, the food taste great.
One thing about this hotel is that there's a bridge on the second level linking directly to the MTR.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for those looking for a cheap and decent hotel.

liebetaube's Profile Photo

Asia Bangkok Hotel

by written on April 7, 2008

Asia Hotel is my choice for my countless shopping trip in bkk.
It's connected to the train st (covered walkway) so no worries abt bad weather.
consider booking from Apple Holidays (6736-2736). They offer good rates esp when all the online agents fail to get you a room.

However, do note it's a popular choice for Spore travel agencies. So there's a high chance pumping into our own pple who put Singapore in REALLY bad light.
I've lost count the number of such encounters. Shame shame :(

Airport --> Hotel
Grab a cab ride at basement level. Plenty of english signs at the new intl' airport. it's rare you'll get lost. It should cost you abt 200-300 bahts, depending on the traffic.

Shopping
MBK, Siam Centre, Paragon..etc are all within walking distance. Perfect for any last min buys before you catch the flight back home.
Pratunum, the wholesale ctr is also about 10mins walk, or a 40baht cab ride.
There's also a new building (cant rem the name) just across Pratunum that sells electronic n IT stuff, albeit Funan Ctr. If you've done your research, bargains can be found easily.

4days is too short for bangkok shopping spree. my usual 5D4N itinerary still pushes me back there every quarter ^^

oh yes, if you are going for Asia Hotel, do pop out at night to grab some hawker fares. I love the fried oysters and wanton noodles at the roadside stalls.
Adjacent to the hotel, there's a rest with a sliding door. their black olive rice and green curry chicken are not to be missed :)

Unique Quality: Room does not provide any tea making facilities or hot water supply.

The water at the pool (level 12) seems to be changed only once a month. The sodium content is comparable to the sea.
The pool at level 5 is much better, but it gets little direct sun so water temperature can be a little chilly, even at 12noon.

Breakfast spread is good. I'm happy when I see my egg man, so no complaints on that.

Location is fantastic for the price you are paying for the room.

things to be aware of

by written on February 5, 2008

Best thing about it is location. We found we got a better rate by walking in and booking. We think the key system stinks. They only would give us one key and they want you to leave the key at the desk when ever you leave. That means when ever you get back from somewhere you hafto go to the desk and wait in line to get your key each time. They include a breakfast buffet weather you want to pay for it or not and if you miss it in the morning your out of luck. No credit toward lunch or anything.

Unique Quality: attached to the sky train

Directions: across from CO CO Walk on Tanon Phayithai

aberacadabra's Profile Photo

Asia Hotel

by written on December 19, 2007

It's been almost 3 years since I last stayed here and coming during the peak period with the SEA Games, it was almost impossible getting a room in Bangkok, the Pathumwan Princess was full, the Amari Watergate full, etc. But thank goodness Asia still had rooms.

It's one of the largest hotels in Bangkok with a 4 star rating based on its sheer size, but the Asia had seen better days. 3 years ago, I found it clean and acceptable, but on the return trip, I would say conditions were basic. Walls and carpets were stained, the quality of breakfast had deteriorated and hardly a pen or pencil in your room when you need one.

On the plus side, the lunchtime dimsum at the Chinese restaurant on the 3rd floor is still excellent.

Unique Quality: A BTS station links the hotel to the Ratchathewi station. Asia used to sell subsidised daily tickets to guests, but not anymore.

MizBlack's Profile Photo

Great location, affordable prices

by written on October 19, 2007

Despite seeing mixed reviews about the hotel and how the deco of the hotel seemed to be from the 80s, i decided to go ahead and book a room at asia hotel. It turned out to be pretty pleasant and the location of the hotel is fantastic. I was able to reach most of the places i needed to go within 20 minutes. Buffet breakfast is provided every morning but the food was pretty much the same every single day. Unlike most hotels toothbrush and toothpaste are not provided in asia hotel though towels are provided. Another thing to take note is that if you are paying by cash to the hotel, a cash deposit is required.

businessmommies's Profile Photo

Bangkok's Gem At A Comfy Price!

by written on October 12, 2007

I always stay at ASIA HOTEL on my frequent business trips in Bangkok. The room was a little drappy but it was reasonably clean and the best part about staying there is their location! It didnt provide much luxury but I was'nt expectin any at the price I paid. So if you are going to Bangkok for a shopping spree I'd say stay here cos you're not going to be in the room much anyway! If you want to be in luxury and be pampered just pop by a spa and enjoy the services payable in Baht!

Unique Quality: *LOCATION!!!!
*LOCATION!!!!
Yup! And Once Again
*LOCATION!!!!

touraco's Profile Photo

Most Convenient

by written on June 28, 2007

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times mainly because there is a connection to the BTS (metro station in bangkok).

You can walk to MBK or Siam Discovery center from the hotel but it will take about 20mins depending on your speed and not mentioning the weather and pollution from the vehicles.

The hotel has a big reception but the rooms are pretty run-down although still pretty clean though. The buffet breakfast has nothing to boast about.

Next to the hotel, you can also get restaurants, 7-eleven and massages.

heryanta's Profile Photo

Convenient Location

by written on June 24, 2007

Stayed in this hotel for a weekend because I had an early appointment in the city center on Monday. The location is really good with easy access to the Sky Train (monorail); but that's probably the only thing this hotel has to offer.

The room was old and wasn't very clean; bedding was the same story. This hotel needs some renovation work done and all the beddings and furnitures need to be replaced.
Restaurant downstairs was decent but for $50/night I was expecting much more.

Stay in this hotel if you are only in Bangkok for 2-3 days and want to be in the city center in the Siam Square area - if you are staying for an extended stay you want to be somewhere more comfortable.

Khairiah's Profile Photo

Accessible and cheap

by written on June 12, 2007

The hotel is about a 30-minutes ride from the airport and it is so convenient. It's a 3 star hotel, with 2 pools, indoor and outdoor, a gym, nothing to crow about. But all that is saved due to the accessibility of the place. It is right next to a sky train, Ratchathewi station which means you can get around Bangkok without taking a cab. And it is near all the major shopping malls such as MBK, Siam Square, Siam Paragon. You can walk down to Pratunam and Platinum Mall and Sukhumvit is only a 10 min sky train ride away, Chatuchak, also 10 mins train ride. Very very convenient. For 4 nights stay, triple sharing, it was only 450 Singapore dollars, and when you divide that by 3 people, it is only 150 bucks per person, 40 bucks per night. Cheap eh?

Directions: Next to Ratchathewi BTS Station

celloplay's Profile Photo

Asia Hotel Rocks!

by written on May 21, 2007

- location: walking distance to siam centre, mbk!
- rooms: not bad. no ghost found ~ people mentioned itz haunted though
- pools: there r 2!
- 3 star rating

Unique Quality: great location ~

Directions: at Ratchathewi bts station. it links to the hotel!

darrenwan's Profile Photo

Good for location only

by written on February 6, 2007

The only good thing about this hotel is the location is good as it is directly link to the BTS. It is only about 10 mins walk to MBK and Siam Parogon. 15 mins walk to Patunam. However, the rest is the flop!!!
1) Hotel room don supply flask for boiling. if want hot water need to pay 35 THB per flask.
2) Hotel room got one stale smell.
3) Counter Staff cant be bothered if you need help. (They can say that i not the guest of the hotel even i already check in, without checking the computer data base)
4) even they help, they give black faces
5) Breakfast flop big time
The only thing if i were to go back will because of the location.

Directions: Ratchathewi BTS Station

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Bangkok Travel Forum

Need advice about Bangkok, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Bangkok and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bangkok hotel reviews