481 South Sathorn Road, Yannawa, Sathorn, Bangkok, 10120, Thailand

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

Cheap and Cheerful

We stayed in the Astera Sathorn Hotel for four nights. We got to the hotel by taking the airport link train from the airport to Phaya Thai Station, then transferring to the skytrain, travelling two stops to Siam Station, then walking straight across the platform and changing line and travelling five stops to Saphin Taksin Station, then exiting through exit 3, crossing the main road, walking ahead for 3 or 4 minutes, then arriving at the hotel on our right. The airport link cost 45 baht per person, the sky train to Saphin Taksin cost 35 baht per person.

On hotels.com we had been told check in was at 12. We arrived at 12 and were told check in was at 2. I was hot and tired and argumentative. Anyway we were allowed to go to the pool. They stored our luggage and we had to stay there till the room was available. No hardship, except I don't really like to start a stay with an argument.

Our room was clean and comfortable. We had a large double bed, a wardrobe, drawer space, an in-room safe, kettle, 2 teas, 2 coffees, sugar, creamer, fridge, 2 free waters, complimetary coke, sprite, crisps, nuts, replaced daily. The latter were a nice touch, I thought. In the bathroom, the bath was a little on the worn side. Toothbrushes, tiny toothpaste, soap, combs and showercaps were provided. By the bath there were big refillable bottles of liquid soap and shampoo. The water was generally lukewarm rather than hot.

The room was nice and quiet; we slept well. The air condtioning worked well.

Breakfast was included in our package. To get to breakfast go back to the ground floor and go up to floor two in a separate part of the building. Breakfast was buffet style. It included tea, coffee, orange juice, bread for making toast, congee, 3 differing cooked Thai dishes, sausages, ham, salad, either pancakes, or potato cakes. There was also an egg station where you could get freshly made omelette, fried eggs or scrambled eggs. I thought breakfast was fairly good. You need to bring your breakfast coupon and hand it in.

The hotel pool was a kidney shaped pool. It was not huge but, as it never seemed to be too crowded, that was not a problem. We spend many a happy hour by the pool. There was also a gym which I did not use. There were saunas and steamrooms too but I never saw them on. Last place I wanted to be as it was so hot already.

The hotel was extremely handy for the sky train and also for the river boats. It was 5 minutes walk away from a river pier. If you exited the hotel walked back to the sky train then continued along the main road you came to Robinson's Department Store. There was a supermarket - Tops Supermarket in the basement. The supermarket also had a bakery. There was also a food court on the fourth floor. On the ground floor there was a McDonalds, a Kentucky Fried Chicken and a Pizza Restaurant. On the fourth floor there was a great hot pot restaurant. We had a lovely meal there. Buffet at 219 baht per person. You get your steam boat to which you can add wonton, pork, chicken, beef, vegetables, fish etc, There was also dim sum, sushi and a choice of 3 already cooked meals and rice, a salad bar and desserts including a selection of ice-cream. 20% off on Wednesdays, Serves beer, very good. Closes around 9pm.

The staff largely left you alone. They were helpful when asked things, said hello and good bye etc. internet was available free - just go to reception and ask for a user name and password.

On the whole comfortable, pleasant enough and a good location.

Oh, one more thing the road to the hotel from the skytrain to the hotel was full of hairdressers. I got my hair cut for 100 baht - very cheap, but don't do it if you have curly hair like mine. It is a bit of an alien concept. I may be applying the hair gel to stop bits sticking out all over the place for a while.

• trisanna's Profile Photo

budget hotel in Silom

If you want a cheap hotel in a good location-this may be the place for you. We spent around 30 usd for a small suite, our friend spent $25 usd and got a room with two twin beds and small balcony. The rooms probably haven't been renovated for years-maybe a decade. They are clean, but there are some stains on the wall, fabric headboards, some ripped sheets and well worn towels. It's a 5 minute walk to the BTS(skytrain station-saphan taksin), and also central pier-right on the river, around the corner is a 7 eleven and Robinson's department store. The other hotels located in the area, are all 5 star and cost over 100usd-atleast it's an affordable option in this area.

One complaint i had was that the air conditioning isn't turned on before you check in and turned off when they made the room. I am saying this not because i like a cool room-but because of the musty smell, which is very strong. There must be a lot of mold in this hotel. I didn't have any allergy problems, but when staying here you may need some decongestants.

Directions: BTS Saphan Taksin

More about Astera Sathorn

Need feedback on Sathorn Villa

hiya fellow VTers,

i'm planning to be in Bangkok next weekend with some friends and planning to stay at Sathorn Villa. Any feedback on this hotel? it's supposedly 3-4 star and priced around US$20. seems like a good deal but then again, sounds too good to be true? Otherwise, any suggestion on nice and cheap hotels around shangri-la area?

will be partying BIG time there...any suggestion on cool places to hangout? i heard Bed Supperclub and Q bar are pretty good. any others with good crowd and great music?

give me a holler k....

cheers/ice0degree

RE: Need feedback on Sathorn Villa

by globerover

I have also read the internet page of Sathorn Villa and as it is located near the BTS (Taksin-bridge) and thus not too far away from my sister in law, we thought of going there this August. We did not do any advance bookings, but wanted to see the place first, which turned out to be a wise idea.

My opinion: A very worn out hotel, a dosshouse rather than a place where I want to spend a few days with the family. The newest aquisitions in furniture and floor covering seem to be 40 years old or older even and paintings or wallpapers don't seem to be much younger. The surrounding is also rather disconsolate: narrow streets, noise, lots of traffic, hardly any shops, etc.

So, if you care for my advice: Look for something else!

by ice0degree

great feedback..thanks so much globerover.

will probably look for another place....do you happen to know if bossotel hotel is of any good?

by globerover

> bossotel hotel

never heard of this one, sorry

RE: Need feedback on Sathorn Villa

by Curt1591

I stayed at the Sathorn Villa about 6 years ago, had friends stay about 4 years ago and as recently as 2.
We all enjoyed it.

From my room, although close to, and within sight of the Saphin Taksin Bridge, I could not hear the traffic.
The fact that it isn't right in the middle of everything is what made it attractive to us.
The Saphin Taksin flyover gives the appearance of the street being narrow, but a 4 lane road is a 4 lane road.
It's a short walk to the Shangri La and Oriental Hotels, so the area isn't that bad.
The pool is serviced every morning.
The coffee from their restaurant is some of the best in the city!

Having said that, because you wish to party "BIG time", I would suggest elsewhere.
The people staying at Sathorn are mostly Thais and tour folks.
The hotel, and the surrounding area, is definitely not a party destination.

by ice0degree

thanks a zillion guys....feedback has been invaluable. :-)

Comments