999/99 Rama 1 Road, Bangkok, 10330, Thailand

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• swiftfoot's Profile Photo

Convenient Location

What I liked about this hotel is its location - connected to a shopping center, close to other malls, and within 7 minutes leisurely walk to a BTS station. Stayed in Superior - the least costly room but spacious, clean, with king-size bed. Trunks were promptly brought to the room although I checked in at about the time a group of convention attendees arrived. Service was generally good (although a lower mark for concierge, who failed to inform me that Central World shopping center could be accessed from the hotel without stepping out into the rain). Breakfast was the usual hotel fare in Asian 4 stars and rather busy (and noisy) considering the hotel size. Noted that waitresses looked harassed. Did not try the other F&B outlets as there are many restaurants in the vicinity.

Directions: Near Paragon shopping mall; beside Centara World.

• Centara Grand at CentralWorld

Stayed here in March 2009 for a conference. Brand new hotel, spacious rooms, think just opened in 2009. Loved the luxurious bathroom with separate spacious standing rain-showers and big bathtub. Was able to watch wide screen LCD TV from almost any corner in the bathroom, thanks to stragetic mirrors around. Stayed on a high floor, so view was quite good, almost 180 degrees around.

Good selection of food at buffet breakfast at The World, but not much change daily. Pancakes (burnt) & waffles (crumbly) those few days not up to standard though.. Small swimming pool linked to in-house spa, which I tried. Not the best massage/spa place to go but was ok experience for the price after discount.

In my hurry to leave on the last day, I left my mobile charger & adapter plugged into the wall. Wrote to hotel immediately after getting home, and through much effort on the housekeeping, they found my items and have promised to keep it for me until my next return again in May 2009. Very honest for their staff to have turned in the items to Lost & Found, as they initially said that nothing was found in my room.

Unique Quality: Pillow menu allow you to choose from numerous types of pillows, hypoallergic, soft, hard, support, form, feather...

For people who love shopping and watching late movies, Centara Grand is located just above Central World, a mega shopping centre. And the first thing you encounter coming down from the linked escalators is a cineplex! Beware though, cuz if you're trying to get back to the hotel through the linking escalators after 11.30pm, it'll be closed. Had to exit the shopping centre and enter from the hotel's ground level lobby after 11.30pm.

Good location, within walking distance to Siam Paragon, MBK and Siam BTS, all linked by Skywalk. Data ports and ipod docking stations provided in room (need to request). Excellent conference facilities.

Directions: Access to Centara Grand & Bangkok Convention Centre at CentralWorld is easily available by car, coach and Bangkok Transit System - BTS, Sky Train which links to the MRTS Sub Way network.

More about Centara Grand at CentralWorld

Superb

by TripAdvisor Member rodders70

This is a great hotel. Not yet officially open yet but we stayed 4 night in a grand deluxe room that was excellent.

Very spacious and bathroom was great.

Facilities were not all operational but the pool, the tennis courts and the gym all looked great.

Breakfast was everything you could want except a little crowded-this comes from being good I guess.

Whilst there I had a birthday- cake promptly delivered that night with a lovely personal card that seemed sincere and was much appreciated.

The location of the hotel is great-attached to centralworld shopping centre.

Would highly recommend.

Mix feelings about the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member blytheluver

No complaints about the interiors and space. In fact, they are impressive. The check-in was smooth and pleasant with polite staff.

The only thing we noticed that definitely could be improved for a 5-star hotel was that the housekeeping did not really do a thorough job. Repeatedly, we have to remind them to replenish the tea bags and sugar, hand and sometimes face towels, the bath robes that were taken away daily.

Unfortunately the cozy stay was met with the political unrest where airport was closed. Tourists like us were stranded and unsettled due to the lack of news updates on the national TV. The concierge was very disappointing. When approached by us and other desperate tourists to keep us updated on the development e.g. when airport is opened, the concierge staff turned us down citing that the concierge is opened 24 hours a day and we could call for an update as and when. When hotel guests requested that it would be more seamless and timely if hotel could update us when there are new developments, the staff plainly replied, "We could not be keeping 400 rooms informed?!". This left a bitter taste in us and others at the counter making similar requests. Surely the service here could be better to take into consideration how worried and unsettled we foreigners are on a foreign land under such circumstances.

One gracious thing from the hotel, however, was the discounted rates offered to people like us who were forced to extend our stay with free breakfast. The booking of transport to U-tapao airport was prompt too when we were directed by their call centre, when we called after midnight when air tickets were secured, to contact the concierge when the latter is opened...[beats me though, did the concierge not say they are open 24 hours a day?!]

More or less alone at the 5 star hotel

Centara Grand

I stayed at Centara Grand at CentralWorld in the beginning of December 2008. I booked the hotel via the internet and it was 4000 THB per night. As I booked it via the internet I also got the promotion of either getting a room upgrade or getting access to the lounge on the executive level. For reference: I have been to Bangkok a number of times before and I have stayed at places like Lebua at State tower, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Rembrandt, Majestic, Dusit Thani etc.

I think Centara Grand must be fairly new – the taxi driver did not seem to have any idea about the hotel but as we could tell him that it was located in the Central World complex it was not a problem. The taxi from the airport was 250 Bath + toll charges of about 70 Bath. When we arrived at the hotel we came to an impressive façade at the back of the Central World Place. At the moment we pulled in we were taken care of by the hotel staff and they organized the bag drop for us and showed us to the lobby located on the 23rd floor. The lobby is beautiful with water running down the walls in a modern kind of fountain set up, modern and light chandeliers hanging from the ceiling etc. The check-in was fast and I got room 3906 on the 39th floor.

The room I got was a mid-section room and facing the Baiyoke Tower. My first impression of the hotel room was very good. First of all it seemed pretty new and built in a modern style. The walls are in light wood and light wall paper – apart from a few patches in red and purple. The purple colour theme is also reflected in the dark carpet. The bed was (as always) huge and setup in an angle in the room. The only problem was that the bed was pretty hard so it was not that comfortable. The work desk was pretty clever as I could adjust the size of it according to my need. There were also outlets from plugging in the laptop and wired internet – but unfortunately the internet was not free.

The TV setup was also quite clever – a Panasonic Viera flat screen TV was mounted in one of the pieces of furniture. The clever part was that it was mounted on an arm so you could either watch it from the chair in the room or adjust it to allow TV viewing from the bed.
As it is not recommended to drink the tap water, the hotel room was filled with lots of glass bottles of drinking water. The safe was located in small compartment in the wardrobe so I didn’t see it at first. It was more or less on floor level so the placement was not ideal. I could not find an iron or ironing board in the room but I guess you can call for it.

The bathroom was also very nice. Lots of light tiles, lots of mirrors, a regular bathtub and a HUGE glass shower area with room for at least 2 people. There was also a window between the bathroom and the bedroom and with small sliding doors you could even open this. It was even possible to watch the TV from the shower due to all the mirrors. The bathroom door was also a frosted sliding door.

There are two breakfast areas: at the 23rd floor or the lounge on 51st floor for the ones staying at the executive levels. I stayed at the hotel right after the demonstrators had closed down the airport for some time so maybe this influenced the number of guests at the hotel. But I was more or less the only one at breakfast. The breakfast was quite good with a selection of all that things you would expect. But it is not as lavish as the hotel breakfast at e.g. Sheraton. As there were not any other people there I got the staff to help me a bit and I got some explanations on the Asian breakfast – so I got to try congee for the first time – it is sort of a rice porridge with meat in it and you can also add various toppings (pepper, chilli, ginger etc). Anyway, the lounge area is nice and there is an amazing view from the 51st floor. We also went there a couple times during happy hour where they serve evening cocktails from free but once again there were more or less no one else there.

The pool and health club area is located on the 26th floor. The gym seemed modern and had lots of items to be used in a workout and they also had instructors to help the hotel guests. There is also a SPA at this level and even an outdoor SPA garden. The hotel pool was also nice with a small café attached to it in case you want to grab a snack or drink while at the pool. I think it could get quite crowded when the hotel is full but when I stayed there, there were only a couple of other couples at the pool area. In connection with the pool there are also two outdoor tennis courts.

The location of the hotel is pretty good. As it is located at the Central World Plaza complex you can basically walk straight into the huge shopping mall straight from the hotel. But it is a bit of a walk if you want to walk to the nearest skytrain station. I think the closest one would be Siam Square and I guess it could take at least 10 minutes. But it is quite cheap to get around in Bangkok as long as you get them to use the meter.
The view from the building is of course spectacular as you see most of Bangkok’s skyline. But the area right next to the hotel is filled with small shack and apartment buildings and it is quite a contrast to the modern hotel.

At the top of the hotel there is a place called Red Sky – an outdoor bar with a view. I did go up there for a beer and the view was not bad at all. So it could be an alternative to Vertigo on the Banyan Tree building or Skybar on top of Lebua.

Conclusion
Centara Grand was a nice hotel when I stayed there – it seemed to be quite new and the style is modern. The room itself was average in size but has a very cool layout. The only problems I had was the hard bed and as usual – the lack of internet. We got the impression that we could use wifi at the lounge but that was not the case as there were no networks available there. For this price I would absolutely say it is a recommended hotel but it is not ideal for getting around as it is a bit of a walk to the skytrain. And it would of course be better with a few more guest – it seems a bit strange to almost be alone at breakfast.

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Travelling_Matthew

I stayed in the Superior Room with World Club access in Sept 2008.

World Club - well worth the money as the Executive Lounge was on the 51st Floor with great city views, evening drinks and snacks and very private for meetings and relaxation.

Although maybe now - 4 months after opening it may not be so quiet and private.

Stayed again Dec 2008 - already looking well used with some light bulbs not working, very poor TV picture/reception, scratches on the wall.

Service and staff very friendly. Best thing though is location - right inside Central World Shopping Centre.

Not sure if I would stay again here though at GBP 110 per night. . .

conviently located right next to shopping district

by TripAdvisor Member Woodai

I stayed here with my husband just after Christmas. We booked an executive room on the club floor through the hotel's website. Luckily I checked reviews on tripadvisor.com and figured out that taxi drivers aren't familiar with the hotel but they all know Central World, the shopping mall, so we had no problems getting to the hotel from the airport.

Pros:

1. Check in was pretty smooth on the club floor. I would say the service of the staff are probably comparable to the service you get at a 3.5 star or 4 star hotel in Asia. Some of them just don't get it and so you have to be patient and explain things clearly.

We asked for an upgrade and got upgraded to a club floor deluxe room (slightly bigger) at no charge.

2. The hotel is located right next to the Central World shopping mall. Access to the mall is on the 23rd floor and you can get to the mall by escalator (23 to 22 to 9... yes, the 22nd floor jumps to the 9th floor for some strange numbering reason) and you end up at the movie theater on the 7th floor of Central World. If you want to get to the lower floors of the mall you can walk across to the Bangkok Convention Center, take the elevator to the lower floors, walk a few steps through the garage and you are right in the middle of the mall.

3. The spa (Cenvaree) was quite good but again, it's not the Banyan Tree or Oriental Spa but it's not bad.

4. Nice views of the city from our room.

Cons:

1. Staff on the ground floor who are there to hand you a hotel address card when you need a taxi are inexperienced and need to work as a team. The men seemed familiar with the places we went to but the ladies had no clue and physically got in our way when we tried to climb into our taxi.

2. Staff on club floor gave us directions to a restaurant in English but what good are directions in English for a taxi driver?

3. Shower stall door didn't close properly in our room and leaked water onto a bathroom floor everytime we took a shower.

4. Room service food expensive and the worst part is the tom yum goong was very weak (ie., no taste).

5. You can't review your room account through your TV even though there is an icon on the TV that allows you to do this.

6. Housekeeping occasionally forgot to refill amenities, such as towels, a glass I had accidentally broken, water, etc.

value for money

by TripAdvisor Member travelholic99

The hotel is new, modern & convenient located behind the huge shopping mall Central World. Shopping mails like Siam Paragon, Gaysom are within walking distance. Booked directly through its internet promotional rate THB5,500 for a 2night stay during X'mas, really value for money.

Check-in was smooth. Staff were friendly and attentive. The superior room was comfortable & spacious. The bathroom was also very nice; a lot of mirrors and a big round bathtub.

Breakfast was OK. The spa center was good in décor and offered discount to house guests during my stay. I booked well in advance at its website for a 90min massage at 10pm on my arrival date. It's perfect for a quick recharge after a long travelling. I could not have the same massage for my second night as it was fully booked after 9pm. The gym looked fine but got no time to try. The pool was OK.

The shopping mall behind is Central World, which is huge and ideal for shoppers. So many restaurants in this big complex, where you will find it difficult to make up your mind.

Lovely with a direct connection to the mall

by TripAdvisor Member djjaguar

I decided to try this hotel as itis brand spanking new and the perfect location. I usually stay at the Intercontinental which is right across from this hotel but it is too expensive.

I booked a special rate which I realised is only for Thai residents, that is buy one night and get one night free but the hotel decided to let me get away with it.

I loved my room although small but was sufficient with a bath tub and a stand up rain shower. The lounge(breakfast, tea and eve hor d'ouevers) was excellent and so was the gym. I also viewed the pool area, very nice indeed. Now I got a full body massage as well as it was 50% off.

Please look at the pictures and contact me if you need more info.

Cheers.

Excellent value, some teething problems

by TripAdvisor Member PDR63

Stayed in Jan 09 at the newly opened Centara Grand. The hotel is impressive in scale and v. well located. They are not yet busy and the introductory offer is really excellent value for money. The rooms and public areas are a bit too austere for my taste - self consciously trendy modern minimalist but not quite pulling it off. The old fashioned staff uniforms are quite out of keeping & incongruous. Staff helpful but too many of them standing around uselessly & some teething problems. Check in slow and confused. A la carte order in the coffee shop arrived late and cold - they are set up for the buffet. Tiny almost token pool & roof-top garden area for such a large hotel. 55th floor bar & roof top dining area impressive but v. pricey and they twice refused to serve plain iced water with my wine, repeatedly insisting I bought the bottled stuff. I eventually got my way. Basically, service a bit over the top for a jaded traveller like me, but give it a try before they jack up the prices.

Comments