88 Sukhumvit 24, Klongteoy, Bangkok, 10110, Thailand

Booking.com Asiatravel.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 41% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Gorgeous pool area

I lived in Bangkok for three years and like to think I could help with advice about this city. I found The Davis when I was wanting to book my parents in on their visit. This Hotel is neither too small nor too large. The downstairs pool are in typically Thai style gardens which are delightful. There is a pool upstairs too. The cost is, I guess, middle of the road (deals available trough the usual websites.) The Davis is handy for central Bangkok. It is off Thanon ( the main road) above which is the sky train. The hotel is at the opposite end of Soi 24. The sukhumvit end has the salubrious Emporium Mall on it. We ate buffet breakfast there but had our evening meals at a nice Thai restaurant opposite the supermarket if we were staying around that area that day. Getting about is easy just get on a taxi motorbike or cheap taxi to the sky train.

Unique Quality: There is pool service , recliners and parasols. The setting has teak salas exotic plants Thai paintings and statues. There is a choice of accommodation including chalets that open to the garden. It is in a handy area for exploring due to taxis and sky train and is an oasis of calm in a busy area.tha staff are friendly though drinks are expensive.. Turn right out of the main door walk down a bit cross over into the side street (motorbikes on corner) opposite the supermarket is the Thaicrestaurant with outside tables.

Directions: Head for Emporium mall on the sky train it is the stop called

• markbank's Profile Photo

BEST BOUTIQUE HOTEL IN BANGKOK

I THINK this hotel very great,,,nice room, nice bathroom, i think main wing better than corner wing,,,,the breakfast very great,,,,the best about this hotel is the staff,,,,helpful, friendly, smiling,,,within the main wing also have sikhara spa and fitness centre,,,,this hotel also have free tuk2 if u want to go to emporium shopping mall or the nearest BTS station (phrom phong),,,,,,this hotel also close to camp davis,,the retail shop which consist starbuck coffee, restaurant like sukothai, yum & tum, pola-pola, re-wind and spa like living room,,,,,the roof top pool also nice but quite crowded when many people bcoz the size is small,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Unique Quality: fitness centre, sikhara spa, 88 club sometime have live performance, baan davis

Directions: not far from emporium and opposite the president service apartment

• DarkRay's Profile Photo

The First Boutique Hotel in Bangkok

When I visited Bangkok in October 2006, it was sort of on a whim. Thus, while I had intended to stay at the ever popular Pathumwan Princess, I could not get a room at all since I gave only a very short notice of less than a week.

As it turns out, it was actually a blessing of sorts, as during my search for a replacement hotel, I came across "The Davis Bangkok", which looked truly spectacular from the photos and was price very competitively (I booked a twin sharing superior room for only about US$105 per room per night) considering its facilities and class. Do note that there are 2 wings at The David Bangkok, the Main Wing, and the newer Corner Wing. I recommend booking a room at the Main Wing, because all the facilities such as pool and restaurants are within the Main Wing.

Often, the photos Thai hotels employ on their websites and that of their agents are often glammed up ones that are quite different from the actual (usually much sadder) situation at the hotel. I am very happy to report that The Davis Bangkok actually looked better in real life! The courtyard at Baan Davis was also truly an oasis within the heart of Bangkok.

My room within the main wing was very tastefully decorated, cosy and spacious. Besides frills such as a lounger, there was even a large working desk and a microwave! I was kind of amused that they actually made customized leather cases to house the remote controls for the TV and sound system - certainly a very elegant touch.

The rooftop pool was quite nice as well, but can get a little crowded at times since it is kind of small. Same goes for the unheated jacuzzi besides the pool.

The included welcome drink was a sugar laden affair that was better left forgotten. Breakfast was another story and offered a very good spread of American breakfast fares like hashbrown, muffins, and ham, as well as local fares such as fried noodles, curries and desserts. The range was good and there were even variations in items on different days. I loved that fried bacon strips were served daily.

Unique Quality: Many hotels in Bangkok claim to be "Boutique Hotels", but are often actually badly-kept budget hotels. This is definitely not the case with The Davis Bangkok and the establishment definitely lives up to their claim of being "the first boutique hotel in Bangkok". Everything about the hotel from the facade, room decor, staff uniform and even the clinical looking toiletry bottles screamed designer chic.

Apparently, different rooms (even within the same class) within the hotel also feature different themes. So, even if you are a regular at the hotel, you can be assured of something new during each stay.

If there is anything to fault, it will be that the location of the hotel is actually a little "off" along Sukhumvit Road, which is a really long road. To walk from the nearest BTS station, Prompong, will take about 20 minutes and it can be quite an unpleasant walk due to Bangkok's swattering heat, and the amount of construction work that were going on along the road in. Going out, they do provide a courtesy Tuk Tuk though.

But all these are actually moot points since taxis in Bangkok are really cheap. Considering the prices of the rooms, the cost of taxis are quite negligible by comparison.

Service wise, it was fantastic as well with all the staff being ever ready with a smile. After staying for 2 days before in Bossotel Inn Bangkok, where their staff were not particularly great in their command of the English language, it was a real joy for me to find most of the service staff at The Davis Bangkok speaking very good English. One minor fault was that the reception staff gave me one piece of wrong information. When I stayed at the hotel in October 2006, the departure tax at the airport was actually 500 baht, but I was told that it would be 700 baht. As it turned out, the information they got was incomplete, and the tax would only be raised to 700 baht from February 2007. But this is just nitpicking.

• Global_nomade's Profile Photo

Best value premium hotel in BKK

Perfect location, beautiful rooms, and facilities.

Unique Quality: This is a very nice hotel and super comfortable. The location is just behind Emporium Shopping Centre, near the Sky train and Sukumvit.

The best part is the price. A delux room costs around $80 and I believe the best place to book it is through http://www.precisionreservations.com/.

Absolotely the best value if u like to stay in a beautiful premium hotel.

Directions: Situated at Sukhumvit Soi 24, the hotel can be accessed from both Sukhumvit Road and Rama IV Road, providing easy access to the inbound and outbound express way. Within short driving distance of major shopping complex and commercial centers

• jpizquierdo's Profile Photo

great boutique hotel

I did reserve by internet, on they´r web page, then i have a very good price, this is a great boutique hotel. grest service. on the beginning i had a studio room, nice and clean. but on the second time i whent i reserve for 6 days and they upgraded me to a suite, impressive space and decoration. i´m really happy with all my stay there.

Unique Quality: they have a very stylish swiming pool, they also have a villa on the back of the hotel, the bar 88 is located on the first floor, really nice and modeern, great buffet on the restaurant, internet acces.

• Svitata's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotel in Bangkok

My friend and I were upgraded to a bigger room when we arrived (much to our surprise) as the Studio we booked was not ready yet. I thought that was a very nice gesture from the hotel. The room we got was quite luxuriously furnished and very comfortable. Although the hotel was not located in the main shopping area, they do have a Tuk-tuk service which will bring you the nearest train station which is about 5mins away. The hotel serves quite a good buffet breakfast and there are also a few eateries and restaurants nearby.

• 1W1V's Profile Photo

Mixed Feeling in Davis Hotel Soi 24 on Suk

Stay there for 6 nights in Dec 2006. My feeling was mixed especially I didn't notice that I would not be in the very hotel in itself but in an annex. So beware when you book.
    The room was big enough but I was not impressed by the glass bathroom and the doorless toilet !!!!!! I was told it is a concept but so far I was not convinced.
    Amenities were ok especially with the magazines.
    The breakfast was really nothing special for a 100 USD Bkk hotel !
    The location is far on soi 24 so if you are a bit tired you have to catch up a taxi to the end of the soi. The shuttle tuk tuk is not very convenient !
    The gym and the pool is quite small and in the main building.
    The staff is quite friendly and helpful.
    Pls note that there is a kind of Davis "complex" which includes some good restaurants and a starbucks coffee shop.
    Book through www.asia-discovery.com and paid about 100 USD for double, nett including breakfast.
    Next time, I will not go there anymore unless very favorable price.

Unique Quality: Haven't found any !!!!!
    Deception with the location, the room, the facilities and the breakfast

• i am at the Corner

service is good, i still remembered i sent an order for hot water as i caught cold in the rain, in 5 mins, i got two glasses of hot water at the door. very efficient and good service.
    The Davis Camp lies in between the main wing and corner wing where you can find restaurants, coffee shop and beauty centers.
    across the road, there is a supermarket so you can get some necessities when you in need.

Unique Quality: Since it's pretty far away from the main road, this hotel provides free tuk-tuk service from hotel to The Emporium shopping mall. all you have to do is go to the reception counter and ask for info as this service runs regularly in between the destinations.

Directions: The Emporium is at the main road corner from there, it takes about 15mins walk to the Davis Corner Wing.

• fattytuna's Profile Photo

Staying at Davis

The hotel was very good. It's one of those boutique hotel that each floor has a different theme. I don't know if they make each room unique but in general, I was satisfied with the interior design.

Inside our room, there were latest magazines on the coffee table, large closets, a microwave, internet connection and stuff. All of these suited well for modern travellers. One thing interestingly good was that they had an IT assistant that you could call if you have trouble setting up you computer with the in-room connection.

There was a Starbucks next to the hotel and a supermarket nearby. Japanese area just down the road, whole bunch of good restaurants in the area and even the food court in the Emporium was good.

There were 3 things that took some points away. First was the air con in the room. It was so noisy that we had to turn it off at night, although it looked new. And the fan control didn't seem to work properly.

The second thing was the bath tub. It was perfect the first night, but when I finished using it the second night, I couldn't release the water from the tub because the plug was stuck.

The third was the location of the hotel. On the map, it was close to the subway station and a major shopping mall. In reality, it's a 15 min walk or 40 baht taxi ride. Think about the streets started to heat up around 10am. Even worse was that there were construction sites all along the way and for unknown reason, sidewalks in Bangkok are extremely narrow, usually only good for one person to walk on. Consequently, we had to walk on the roads with cars from both directions all the time and it made our little trip to the subway station everyday unsafe. Mind you that cars in Thailand don't follow rules all the time and it's common to see cars going the opposite direction.

Other than those, I think we were happy about the hotel and the room.

Unique Quality: The pool is on the 9/f floor and it's 1.4m deep all the way. What's good is there is a heated jaccussi at one corner and a cold one inside the pool.

The buffet breakfast is also good. Fruits, western, Chinese. Don't have to worry about not getting enough.

Staff are friendly and helpful. Polite too.

One thing I experienced the first time was that I need to use my key to unlock the elevator in order to go to my floor. It was a security feature but I was not sure if it served the purpose well because once the elevator was unlocked, everyone inside can go to every floor they want. It was fancy enough though.

Directions: 15min walk or 40 baht taxi from Emporium and subway (BTS E5 station).
    1 hour from airport by taxi costs around 260 -300 baht including toll charge and everything. This is the price out of rush hours in the afternoon.

• Hewer's Profile Photo

It's all about the rooms!

I stayed at the Davis Hotel for four nights in October, 2005. The hotel had many great qualities but also wasn't without its disappointments. Overall I was very pleased though.

The most impressive feature was the room - they really are cutting edge and one step beyond what you normally get for the price. There are a few different room categories and I chose a "Design Room" which is probably towards the upper end but I think it was worth it. They really put a lot of effort into the decor and it all has a luxurious feel. The bathroom was lovely and twice the size of the one I have in Japan (although admittedly that's not very difficult).

The pool wasn't as good as I would have expected (judging from the quality of the room) and it was quite a distance from Sukhumvit which meant I needed a taxi or moto to get anywhere. This became a bit of a drag after a few days.

Unique Quality: I'd have to say the porters and reception were exceptional. I slipped the head porter 200 baht when I checked in and he went out of his way to help me whenever I left the hotel. He walked me to the supermarket down the street, showed me where other places were and was really helpful.

Directions: Enter Sukhumvit soi 24, go straight for 15 minutes and it's on the left. I'd get a taxi if I were you.

• titandiver's Profile Photo

Excellent boutique hotel on Sukhumvit

The Davis Bangkok is an excellent Boutique hotel. The rooms are very stylish and location is superb. It is a different feeling from the tradional chain hotels on Sukhumvit road. The food is good . Apart from the hotel amenities just 50 metres away you have many restaurants and night clubs.

Unique Quality: The rooms decoration makes you feel that you are in Thailand and a oriental country. I myself as Thai still could not find my house better that the decoration of this hotel.

Directions: ON sukhumvit soi 24.. go straigh for about a km and you will see an intersection there. Look on your left and you will find the davis.

More about Davis Bangkok

Davis Hotel Bangkok

by scouserr

Hi,

Anyone with anything to share on Davis Hotel. Good / Bad? Recommended?
Or any suggestion for another hotel with similar pricing.

Thanks.

RE: Davis Hotel Bangkok

by cymru

Try the Ambassador or the Mandarin (try Google). Less than £20 per night and plusher than a 5 star London hotel.

Comments