3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Grand China Princess
Orbitz.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Items Missing From Room

I recently had a night at the Grand China Princess Hotel and the visit was spoiled when perfumes and cosmetics that were left in the bathroom disappeared. Housekeeping were the only people that should of had access to the room. The incident was reported to management but they were unabe to retrieve the missing items. There appears to be a poor working culture and lack of security for hotel guests.
    The rooms are tired with poor bathrooms. The views from the rooms are the best feature of the hotel.
    I found the location of the hotel to be a little remote with little in the way of restaurants or entertainment close to the hotel. The hotel food is average and rather expensive. The sky train is also some distance away and I would recommend that it is best to stay close to this transport as it is a inexpensive and easy way to get around the city.
    Walking Street is close by which is great for shopping.
    Due to the loss of personal items I cannot recommend this hotel and would not stay there again.

Unique Quality: Views

• edelng's Profile Photo

Recommended Hotel In Chinatown

I enjoyed my stay in this hotel. We had a huge and clean room with a king sized bed. I chose stayed in Chinatown because of its Chinese food. Both son and husband cannot take spicy food. Price of the hotel is also very reasonable.

• Donna-Lee's Profile Photo

Chinatown

A really good Hotel, in the heart of Chinatown so you just had to exit the foyer to be in the midst of it all.
    I would stay there again, and a taxi or tuk-tuk is really cheap to get to MBK, Panthip, KhaoSan Rd etc

Unique Quality: I love a good brekkie to start my day and the G.C.P Hotel had the best, fresh made pancakes with maple syrup are my weakness, it was never to crowded to get to the food like I had experienced at previous Hotels.

• lunargodezz's Profile Photo

Bangkok's Best

We stayed here for four nights and could not really fault it. The staff were so friendly and trustworthy nothing in our wide open suitcases was ever touched. Breakfast was wonderful with many choices and always fresh.
    The bathroom was a little bit small but not uncomfortable.

Unique Quality: The pool was on the small side but when there is only two people it was heaven when paired with a maitai or two, and what a view, make sure to take your camera.

Directions: Chinatown

• A hotel with two faces

Our family stayed here 3 years ago, on the first 4 nights of our first visit to Thailand. We immediately fell in love with both the hotel and the surrounding Chinatown.
    Excellent, newly refurbished (?) room on the 18th floor, with a magnificent river view. Smiling staff at the front desk when we arrived, a nice cold welcome drink and, behind the desk, an adorable young lady who won the the hearts of my two young sons.
    We had several meals here during our stay, and we always found both the food and the staff extremely nice.

Last year we went back with high hopes. But this turned out to be one big dissapontment.
    No smiles at the desk when we arrived. Instead we had to argue to have them accept a family with two kids staying in a triple room (even though this had actually been booked and confirmed).
    The room this time was on the 7th floor, facing the back, and extremely uninspiring. In urgent need of renovation, or at least a good cleaning (the bathroom was actually smelling).
    Also the staff seemed to have been shifted. Apart from the guy at the roof-top bar/pool, we were met mostly with ignorance, and suspicion, during all of our stay.

I'd like to think that we were just extremely unlucky the last time. And maybe we had build up too high hopes. But it didn't feel good.

Anyway, we still love Chinatown (it is without doubt the most exiting area in Bangkok!), and we might even go back to Grand China.
    Others here have had other views recently, so, again, maybe we just were unlycky.

• Horrible Hotel

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel for one night at the end of an excellent holiday in Phuket purely for ease of getting the flight back to the UK.

what a minging hotel this is, my holiday operator assured me this was a 4 star hotel and I fail to see where they got this from. The en-suite bathroom was cramped and grotty with mould between the wall tiles and on the ceiling. The view was awful through filthy windows onto a flat roof with scabby pigeons everywhere. The cushions on the rattan sofa type thing were stained with what looked like blood.

We had a meal in the coffee shop on the 10th floor and although the food was good the decor left much to be desired, 'polished' steel on the roof support columns which had not seen polish for a long while with fingermarks all over them, and every dining chair had stained upholstery. The cutlery was bent and stained.

The lobby is large spacious and clean, the bar looked particularly chic although we didnt actually visit the bar, the corridors leading to the room and the elevators all looked swanky and clean but the room itself was a big dissapointment. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Entertainment from one's window 24-7

We are boring creatures of habit - and almost always stay at the Grand China Princess Hotel. Have looked elsewhere, but always come back, as I am an early riser, and Chinatown is the only place I have found that has activity almost around the clock. Almost anytime you look out the window, there is a hum on in Chinatown. I love to get up early and wander around the food markets, in time to see the monks on their morning gathering and enjoy being a bit of a novelty as almost certainly the only Westerner wandering around, looking like an idiot, pointing cameras and asking for pics.

The views from the hotel are great as well. Transport is readily availabe. 5 minute walk (unless I get lured by the shops) to Ratchavongse Pier, tuktuk and taxi at the ready, walkable distances to Hualamphong station, Khao San Road, Grand Palace and Wat Po, Little India, flower markets, Memorial Bridge markets etc.

The breakfast is hard to beat at GCP - and usually keeps my husband and I going all day - and the staff have always been excellent. There is also something really nice and truly welcoming about the staff's faces and genuine pleasure to see us again!

Unique Quality: For me, its Location Location Location

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Great family hotel

The grand china princess is a favourite of our family. We have used this hotel 4 times in the last 15 months. We have found the staff to be of wonderful assistance and offer you a little more if you go out of your way to greet and learn their names. Our kids are always safe her and where looked after by Suthep and the other staff.
    The location is ideal if you are looking for a central location that is cheaper in pricing than most hotels. The river and stop 13 is 1 block and you can always get a bus or taxi. You can easily walk to the Grand Palace and Wat Pho or take in the flower or fruit and vege markets in the mornings. My wife and kids think it is shopping heaven only matched by Chatuchak.

Unique Quality: The breakfast buffet is always great and a Mai Thai to finish off the day in the bar is ok. Atmosphere wise it is not the greatest, but the rooms are always clean and the family rooms sleep 5 easily. They will also store your gear while you are away and UPS has an office on the ground floor that has got our bulging boxes home each time.

• JanetChan's Profile Photo

Probably the best hotel in Bangkok Chinatown!

This is my Grandmother and Mom favorite hotel. Ever since the first time they stayed there, they loved it so much that now this is the ONLY hotel they would stay everytime they visit Bangkok. ( My Grandma and Mom visit Bangkok at least twice a year :P)

The location of this hotel is in the heart of Chinatown, a food paradise at night and a busy wholesaler market in the morning. It is near Khao San Road and Chao Phyra River if you wanna explore around . Even though this place is not near any BTS station, the traffic jams in Bangkok had already improved. And if you are travelling with more than 2 persons, it is actually cheaper and more comfortable to take taxis in Bangkok.

We usually booked this hotel through our local travel agents, we paid around 1600baht for a corner standard room. I think the price is reasonable. I have no complaints for this hotel myself even though i have stayed there for at least 3 times. The room are always clean, tidy and spacious.

Unique Quality: Maybe what makes this hotel special is they are able to maintained the high standard service and tidyness. Its value for money :))

• Bangkok's worst hotel

In the early hours of 30 March my son was the victim of an unprovoked street attack by a drunken European. Concussed, with black eyes, a broken nose and with his teeth knocked out he did the only thing he could think of, returned to our hotel by taxi to get help. Immediately, I accompanied him to reception to ask them to contact theTourist Police and a doctor. My son looked as if he had gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson and was clearly in urgent need of medical attention. To my astonishment I was met with total indifference by the young woman and man on the desk. After some urging on my part they told me they did not have a doctor's number and were extremely reluctant to call the Police. Eventually, without help, I took a taxi and got my son to the local police and hospital. They, by the way were wonderful. The same cannot be said for the Grand China Princess. It was only after I reminded the young woman receptionist that in a Buddhist country two foreigners in our position might expect a little human compassion that she reluctantly picked up the telephone and put us through to the Tourist Police. Both receptionists seemed concerned by only one thing - to charge the cost of the telephone call to my room! When I checked out the next day with my severely concussed son, the Chinese Manager was sickening, bowing, scraping and grovelling, yet clearly more interested in the small bottle of water that had apparently not been paid for from the mini-bar than the behaviour of his staff to foreign guests. I can only suggest that you give this cold dark unfriendly hotel the widest berth, because if you SHOULD have any problems or God forbid - an illness in this wonderful country --this particular hotel will watch you die and then charge you for the inconvenience. By the way, the food was awful, the only bad food I ate in a month in Thailand-- and the "oasis" on the hotel. . roof is an arid waste with a tiny pool. Don't go! Freiia. London

Unique Quality: A good place to die in.

Directions: ChinaTown

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

A great experience!

We stayed three times in this hotel during our trip to Thailand and every time we got a very clean and nice room and an excellent service from the hotel staff.
    I'd really recommend this hotel. On the roof, you have a small swimming pool and a stunning view over Bangkok!
    The breakfast buffet is just excellent!

For Bangkok it may not be cheapest hotel, but it's really very cheap compared to the price you'd pay in a European hotel of that standard!

• leffe3's Profile Photo

Grand China Princess, Bangkok

Through many different internet sites, you can get a double room for 2 people with breakfast for about $35/40

Unique Quality: The great thing about this place is that its right in the middle of China Town, very clean, all mod cons (including small pool on 21st floor), essentially a business hotel for locals/Chinese rather than the overpriced hotels in downtown Bangkok. A little on the atmosphereless side, but that's more than made up by its location. Walk out the door at night and you're in the middle of an incredibly dynamic, exciting place full of locals (Chinese and Thai) with none of the tourist-orientated activity of Patpong etc. People eating on the street by the thousands, shopping for food and Chinese CDs, more eating etc.. And you can walk to the major sites! plus only 10 minutes to the river ferry

More about Grand China Princess Hotel

by Robried

I will be traveling with Overseas Adventures Travel to Bangkok on May 8th and will be staying at the Grand China Princess Hotel. How far is this hotel from the protest site? I feel comfortable that I am traveling with a tour group to Bangkok. I have spoken with OAT several times on the phone and they have told me that the sites that we will go see are in areas that are not near where the protestors are. On my tour, I will be staying in Bangkok for three nights and then traveling to northern Thailand and then to Chaing Mai. I will then fly back to Bangkok for two more nights and then go on to Vietnam and Cambodia. Can anyone give me information about the situation in Bangkok now?

Re: Grand China Princess Hotel

by Curt1591

The situation is now, at this time, extremely isolated. The protesters are keeping to a defined area. The Grand China Princess is in Chinatown, nowhere near the protests. Chinatown doesn't lend itself to additional masses of people.

Traveling with a guide, or tour, is a good option during this time. The operators will be able to monitor the situation and keep away from any problems.

Re: Grand China Princess Hotel

by frank_bkk

Chinatwon and your hotel is miles away from the red shirt protestors at Rajaprasong. I'm sure your tour leader will know exactly how to avoid any protests when you arrive. I wouldn't worry if i were you! Especially no worries too about Chiang Mai, nothing happening in the way of rallies up there.

Comments