Majestic Grande

Tags

Arts and Culture Family Travel Business Travel
See Amenities
Paul4Travel's Profile Photo

Good allround 4 Star in Central Bangkok.

by written on May 6, 2010

The Majestic Grande is a 4 star hotel of good standard in central Bangkok. In brief and based on a 7 day stay in February 2010:

1. Reception/foyer/lobby: wide clean and spacious with 24 hour Concierge. Reception staff friendly and efficient. Two bar areas and entrance to Italian restaurant. 24 Hour security. Occasional live piano.

2. (My) Room: 10th floor with good view across the city. Clean, well kept, daily maid service. TV, mini-bar, 'phone, central control, efficient air conditioning. Bathroom modern, clean with superb shower.

3. Restaurants: 7th floor breakfast and lunch buffet style restaurant with outdoor chef for eggs 'any way you like'. Good selection of oriental and western dishes.

Excellent ground floor Italian restaurant with entrance off the lobby. Good selection of dishes and wine, well presented. Occasional live music in evening.

4. Pool & Gym: 7th floor. small but well presented. No further comment as did not partake.

5. Bars: small bar opposite reception, quiet with attentive staff. Larger bar adjacent to Italian restaurant on ground floor with wide selection of drinks. Modern and well kept with friendly staff. Occasional live music.

6. Overall: this is a well positioned hotel in central Bangkok and the side street entrance is not generally a drawback as taxis are availabkle outside. Main thoroughfares are within walking distance as are bars, reaturants and a supermarket.

Well positioned for Bangkok sightseeing and culture also historic and cultural trips beyond the city. Good for seniors, singles, families and business visitors.

I can only comment on my own stay, but find little fault with the Majestic Grande so I won't try. Good overall value and recommended. Will I stay there again? Yes.

Unique Quality: A good allround 4 star hotel. The Italian restaurant is particularly fine. Attentive and helpful friendly staff.

Directions: See Address and a map of central Bangkok.

Reasonable option for Sukhumvit but a few gripes

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 12, 2008

Quite a decent hotel, reasonable value (B3200 a night), good location although can take a while to get taxis sometimes, similar quality to a basic middle-top end hotel, but with a 25-50% price discount to the Marriots and Sofitels.
Service staff were good, pleasant, relatively efficient. I stayed here shortly after it opened 3 years ago and it has gone downhill a little, probably because from my assessment the guests themselves these days are very undiscerning/demanding so if noone is snapping at your heels with reasonable suggestions then standards will decline - like an airport restaurant where noone gives a damn, and noone comes back.
I was generally happy here but after 14 days, being in Sukhumvit area started to do my head in, which combined with three main apects of the hotel I was unhappy with, meant I checked out and headed for a boutique hotel near the river. The three things I didn't like about the Majestic Grande: swimming pool, wireless internet service and the restaurant.
Swimming pool - nice outside area, but pool was too small to do laps, water was murky and noone seemed to shower before using it, which to me is somewhat disgusting. There is a sign with about 12 "rules" near the pool, fairly small print, and showering before swimming is one of them, but clearly the management are not too concerned. Guys - I don't want to swim in something that people are effectively using as a bath, that's really off ! And given that some of the guests in the hotel, from my travels in the lift over 14 days, have significant personal hygiene issues, it's doubly off ! You need a big sign between the door to the pool and and the pool itself, that you can't avoid, saying "Guests MUST shower before entering the pool" and your staff need to rugby tackle people to the ground if it looks like they are about to jump in the pool without showering. To the management: it may be a cultural issue, but just be aware that a significant portion of your guests will find this lack of showering quite perturbing !
Wireless Internet service - I got tired of paying 15 bucks a day for wireless access, which is one of the reasons I checked out. I am only staying in hotels now that have it built into the price. This model of gouging guests for wireless or broadband is outdated and creates negativity with the guest. I no more expect to pay "extra" for basic internet connectivity than I expect to receive a bill each morning for the electricity I've used overnight. To management: this is 2008 guys, and people float around with laptops and expect to be able to connect - it's practically a basic human right ! Btw - I haven't turned on the tube in a hotel room for about 15 years now - do I get a discount for not using it ??? Of course not - it's built into the price and I can't say I really care. Build wireless into the cost of your room guys and stop gouging guests for it, or else we'll take our business to hotels that incorporate it into the price, like I am now.
Restaurant. I'm a vegetarian, so my needs are a little different, but basically at breakfast I'm usually looking for good and interesting bread, good coffee, good and interesting fruit, and then a bit of imagination. Sadly, the Majestic Grande fell down here. I mean it wasn't TERRIBLE but it would be nice to see a bit more effort and soul go into the breakfast selection. The bread was ok although introducing loaves of rye, sourdough etc would be a good thing. Coffee was pretty bad actually, weak and poor quality (like the instant in the rooms) and often luke warm. I took to asking for espressos and they were also a bit nasty - might be the machine they have in there or the beans, I'm not sure. The fruit juices were quite good, I especially liked the carrot and vegetable ones; iced water - tick. The fruit - they seem to be buying low quality fruit that is essentially tasteless (especially the melon); mangosteens were rotten inside. Where were the mangoes, the jackfuit, and other exotic fruits ? The hot food, which I'm not too bothered about, was very meat and seafood oriented. I liked that they made their own baked beans, but on 75% of the mornings I was in there they were undercooked and semi-raw. The cheese was ok but the same each morning. I really got tired of the breakfast options after 14 days. Perhaps rotating the dishes would be an idea. Perhaps higher quality ingredients would help.
All in all, a reasonable hotel, at an ok price, but unremarkable, not one that you will be able to remember anything about in a couple of years time.

Unique Quality: None that I am aware of - this place is nestled firmly in the middle of the pack.

MiamiRob's Profile Photo

Excellent Value/Book Online to Save 25%+

by written on January 29, 2008

Book your stay on a 3rd party website such as www.asiarooms.com and save a good chunk of change. You'll have to pay in advance but it is worth the savings.

The Majestic Grande is a great value and is a solid 3.5 to 4 star hotel. It's not as big as the Landmark or JW Marriott and it's a slightly longer walk to a Skytrain station, but it is well worth saving up to $100 USD/night compared to either of the other hotels I just mentioned. Unless you have unlimited discretionary income of course. Also, don't skimp and get the breakfast option during your stay. The buffet is quite decent and being able to enjoy breakfast out on the pool deck on a sunny, cool day in December in Bangkok is more than worth it. The complimentary sauna, whirlpool and spa services were also a nice amenity. Very nice city views if you do not face the expressway. Ask for a high floor away from the expressway and you will be quite content.

Unique Quality: Pool deck is somewhat unique. The pool is not large enough for laps or serious swimming, but it beautifully designed for lounging and just laying about. Some may find it awkward to have people eating at tables immediately adjacent to where you may be swimming, but I didn't see that as a big deal.

Nice elevators and landing areas. Although there are only 2 and it can be a little bit of a wait now and then.

A good hotel choice

by written on September 21, 2007

I just stayed for 9 days in early September 2007 and was very happy with my choice. It has a good location near transportation, shopping and night life nearby. My room, a Grande Deluxe was a corner with large bed, sofa, seperate large shower and bathtub. It came with a writing desk and an internet connection was available. A large, good breakfast. Booked on Asiarooms.com and got a very good rate.

Unique Quality: It has a pool with attached hot tub. Exercise room nearby. The views from all the rooms are good because there are no large buildings to block the view

Directions: Down the street from the Marriott and one block from the Nana entertainment complex. Between 2 Sky Train stops, Nana and the more convenent, Philoen Chit

A beauty in the middle of Bangkok

by written on August 31, 2007

Fantastic hotel. Really clean and spacious bedrooms - bathrooms are nice and large . Hotel staff are friendly and polite. Highly recommended to all.

Unique Quality: City views from guest room windows. Near to Nana Plaza BTS, quick taxi / tuk tuk ride to MBK shopping centre !!!

tangster1974's Profile Photo

Stylish Boutique Hotel

by written on April 27, 2006

The front desk was fast and efficient and we were able to check into our room quickly.

The room is great value for money, as it is beautiful and clean with a big TV and modern furnishings. However, I would suggest to pay a bit more for the Grande Premier Room. You will get much more room / bathroom space.

Buffet breakfast is on the 7th storey, but I recommend going to the Italian restaurant located at the lobby. They have the same buffet there, but has much fewer guests and thus less crowd around the buffet spread. Sometimes we were the lone party there and we got all the personal attention from the staff there.

Unique Quality: This is something like a local boutique hotel except that it is much bigger with 251 rooms. It is situated in a good location and the nearest Skytrain station is only about 5 to 7 minutes' walk from the hotel.

Directions: Tell the taxi driver to go to Sukhumvit Soi 2, where the main entrance to JW Marriott Hotel is also located. The hotel is further down the soi (lane).

The nearest BTS Skytrain station is Phloen Chit.

Grande

by written on February 10, 2006

this new hotel locates in a good spot where easy to get around by BTS. it only takes about in 5mins and you will find the BTS station and shopping arcade.
Concierge service is satisfied and staffs welcomed all questions and enquiries.
what makes me feel comfy the most would be the bedside master control, from entrance to TV swtich all can be found. i did not even have to reach out from my bed to swtich off the air/ cond in the middle of the night.
if you feel like having a spa / foot massage, just call to have a booking and take your time to relax. (do make a booking one day in prior)
pool is on 7th floor where next to the restaurant "Dine @ 7", just that the pool is a bit small to swim.
breakfast is available on 7th floor in "Dine @ 7" or on the ground floor "Sacz".

Unique Quality: lobby lounge is cool. even when i was checking-in, i received a complimentary drink from the lounge.
we also received complimentary fruit after we checked-in.
what i like the most is the complimentary drink, most of hotels provide when plastic bottle of water while this hotel provide in glass which can be re-used and save the environment.

Directions: it lies in between 2 main roads (Sukhumvit Road & Rama IV Road), next to the Express Way. street is facing the KFC.

euli's Profile Photo

Inexpensive Yet Very Comfortable

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2006

This small hotel of 25 floors, offers comfortable rooms at reasonable prices. Their standard of service rivals any hotel in Singapore and they have a good gym. Their small swimming pool situated next to their cafe is full of ambiance, but the water was rather cold.

It is quite conveniently located. 7 minutes away from Ploenchit BTS Station, 3 minutes from Ploenchit Centre and 5 minutes from Nana Shopping Centre.

It also offers massage facilities for the tired shoppers altough don't expect their massages to be the same standard as those found in Singapore Spas.

Directions: Tell the taxi drivers to take you to Sukumvit Soi 2 (It is just a minute away from JW Marriot).

gaolei's Profile Photo

The Less Known 4 Star in Bangkok

by written on September 17, 2005

This is a beautiful hotel located in the Sukhumvit area. It is next to the Marriot hotel. The price is less than half the price of surrounding hotels.

Unique Quality: The room is very nicely furnished, It includes a very large screen TV, wood and granite flooring, king bed, couch and desk.

The bath has a large tub, and a walk-in shower. The towels are body size and fluffy. Everything is 4 Star!

Directions: At the low number end of Sukhumvit road near the freeway and embassy district.

dragonman64's Profile Photo

Not quite grand but well worth the price

by written on August 28, 2005

My stay at Majestic Grande – although pleasant – is not without its sour notes to cite.

I’ll start with the negative impressions first.

1) My check-in time took all of 40 minutes to process which really ticked me off. At a little after 2pm, my room was not yet ready for occupancy and the front desk was in a sort of mad scramble to find the first available unit to provide me. It is possible that they do not give enough priority to discounted hotel bookings and set aside the available room/s for direct reservations. Whatever the exact explanation was, I will never know and they will never tell. At any rate, they were profusely apologetic when I was finally handed my key card.

2) Their (two) elevators are slow. For a hotel this size and with a constant influx of people, they should have installed at least 3-4 units to bring people up and down the building.

3) The airconditioning is weak…well, at least in my room. I called up engineering to do something about it, but it still did not meet my expected room temperature. And this comment coming from a highly-tropicalized person like myself, I wonder how Europeans and North Americans would react to such.

4) The Grande Superior rooms are small and confining. Sized at 28 sq.m., these units will definitely be a bit claustrophobic to most individuals

Unique Quality: Now…off to the good ones.

1) The employees of the hotel are amazingly friendly and people-oriented. Except for a couple of relatively grim-faced individuals behind the front desk, the rest of them behaved in a manner befitting a hotel to its guests, more especially that this is a brand-new property having opened only in late 2004.

2) The restaurant outlets are few but well-maintained and excellently-staffed. Sacz Italian Dining and Jazz Club on the ground floor is pretty pricey but the food and service they provide make your lunch or dining experience truly valuable.

3) The business center is generally efficient, while the adequately-sized - but geometrically-challenging shaped - pool area could be a delight to some guests especially the ones with kids in tow.

4) Yes, the superior rooms are small, but the furnishings are tastefully laid-out The restaurant outlets are few but well-maintained and excellently-staffed.. The push-button control system beside the headboard is really a blessing in convenience. I can switch on/off the lights without lifting a leg. There is a fully-stocked mini-bar, free coffee- and tea-making facilities, an in-room safe that could hold small laptops at most, complete set of body and bath items (all replenished daily), free mineral water (2 bottles per day) and wireless internet access. Not all rooms have separate shower and bathtub, but I’m sure that the Grande Deluxe units and up have this.

All in all, Majestic Grande Sukhumvit has equal shares of good and bad points, but in the end, the positive highlights still outweigh the opposites. Travellers used to luxurious accommodations may find this one as just an aspiring wannabe in the upscale boutique hotel category, but all things being equal, I would say that for the money I spent, it wasn’t such a bad deal after all.

Directions: Right behind JW Marriott Hotel and Ploenchit Center at the start of Sukhumvit Road.

dragonman64's Profile Photo

Not quite grand but well worth the price

by written on August 28, 2005

I’ll start with the negative impressions first.

Unique Quality: Now…off to the good ones.

Nearby Majestic Grande

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Bangkok Travel Forum

Need advice about Bangkok, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Bangkok and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bangkok hotel reviews