New Empire Hotel

Satisfaction Terrible

More about New Empire Hotel

Bird's Nest Soup -- Chinese Delicacy in Chinatown

by volarevolare about New Dragon Restaurant

This small restaurant is located along the same stretch of New Empire Hotel building along the start of Yaowarat Road, at the road junction of Chaloem Buri.

This air-conditioned restaurant has about enough space for only 9 tables and both sides of the wall is flanked with glass display cabinets featuring boxes of birds' nests.

I had a small bowl of birds' nest soup cold (you can choose to drink it hot too) and it cost me 200 Baht.

It was delicious.

The Chinese believe that drinking birds' nests can help to strengthen the respiratory system as well as promote good skin. ;)

To me, it's a delicious dessert drink on a hot day!

They're giving a 15% discount from now till 2005 I think, so go check it out.

There are many other such restaurants along the way, so you could also choose to try out the others.

The ToiletThe Toilet

Food stall, Bangkok, Thailand.Food stall, Bangkok, Thailand.

creamy corn soup toppingcreamy corn soup topping

the signthe sign

Bangkok City Inn v Bangkok City Suite

by Daoruiensi

Have anyone stayed at this new hotel (Bangkok City Suite) that is 0.8 km from the Ratchathewi Station (BTS). Read many good reviews of Bangkok City Inn. Are this 2 hotels near each other?? Is Ratchathewi Station far off from the city centre.

RE: Bangkok City Inn v Bangkok City Suite

by ann500

Hi there,

I stayed at Bangkok City Suite a few weeks ago. It was an ok place, nothing great and I wouldn't go back again. The staff was just so-so and didn't seem too excited about helping us and their English isn't great. It also took about 20 minutes to get coffee after reminding them and they came back with iced coffe, not what we ordered. The walls are also pretty thin and we had a bit of a biting ant problem (but maybe this is all over Thailand, we also had them in Phuket)and they got in my bag and came out all over in the plane when I opened my book. However, this place does have free internet access if you have your own laptop. We didn't use that though. Also, it is a new hotel and taxi drivers seem confused about it and some wouldn't take us there. If you do stay there be sure to pick up a hotel business card written in Thai.

I'm not sure about the other place you are comparing it to or what you will be doing in Bangkok, but if you are there to see the sights, I would recommend the New Siam II Guest House http://www.newsiam.net/ns/index.php, an excellent place by the river. It isn't expensive and we were very impressed by it and wished we had stayed there for our return trip to Bangkok (we booked the Bangkok City Suite since it was closer to the MBK Center Shopping Mall and then were kicking ourselves). Taxis are cheap to get around in anyhow. I had also picked this place because it was supposed to be close to the Ratchathewi Station, but it didn't seem like a very nice walk so we just used a taxi. I'm not sure what you mean by city center, but the Ratchathewi Station isn't near the Grand Palace or any of those sights. If you go to the MBK Center from the Bangkok City Suite Hotel it is only about 50 Bahts. The Bangkok City Suite room was slightly larger and did have a better bathroom than the New Siam II Guest House, but those are the only better things. The New Siam II Guest House did have an internet cafe, I believe, if you are looking for that. It also had a programmable safe in the room.

Hope this helps you!

RE: RE: Bangkok City Inn v Bangkok City Suite

by Daoruiensi

Thanks for your good advice. I need a hotel that is near the BTS. Heard Bangkok City Inn (not Suite) is good. Anyone stayed there recently and comments would be appreciated.

RE: RE: Bangkok City Inn v Bangkok City Suite

by ann500

You are welcome. I hope you have a great trip!

Travel Tips for Bangkok

The Coconut Farm

by kylian74

The big coconut plantation, I think if you're not from a tropic country, you will be impressed to this plantation... for me it's nice! but in a sense, these is not new to me being an asian., glad I've seen this too.

THAI BUDDHISM

by ancient_traveler

Buddhism in Thailand has become integrated with folk beliefs such as ancestor worship as well as Chinese religions from the large Thai-Chinese population. Buddhist temples in Thailand are characterized by tall golden stupas, and the Buddhist architecture of Thailand is similar to that in other Southeast Asian countries, particularly Cambodia and Laos, with which Thailand shares cultural and historical heritage.

Symbolism Surrounding Royal Family Images.

by Bangkokjoe

Aside from the gold there is a rather intriguing amount of symbolism associated with the Royal Family. Two sets that most usually crop up are:

The little golden umbrella pyramid style things that go above the head in many images and statues. For the King and Lord Buddha you get nine of these in a series above the head. For the Queen, well she gets seven, and other members of the Royal Family, they are on five, until they get a promotion.

Then there are often the "Golden Egg" type things that are positioned around the image / statue. These “fruits”, as my team tell me - so let’s hope they are not winding me up again - originally come from the sacred Buddha tree and are changed into silver and gold when they are offered as gifts.

In this day and age many a nation knocks their royal families. In Thailand the King does as good a job as anyone in such a position could. Not only does King Bhumipol (Rama IX) manage to motivate and unite most of the nation, He also manages to quieten down the politicians when things go somewhat astray. He popped up on TV to quieten / dispel military coups. One King that has most certainly earnt His respect.

Study Muay Thai In Bangkok

by Traste

The training sessions are tough and varied to reflect the efforts and techniques used in a real Muay Thai boxing match, and techniques and styles are taught in the same spirit.
The teachers are engaged in the students skill development and performance as this is a real government accredited Muay Thai school and not just a gym.

Personally I am training to keep in shape and because I have an interest in Martial Arts since my teens, and for that purpose; Muay Thai is unbeatable.

The school is located between my work place and home so its very convenient for both me, my fiancée and daughters who also study there.
As for the professional boxers that are training there, they have told me that the teachers are very competent and provides varied and tutoring well adapted to their skills. They are also very happy about the facilities and location. The equipment is quite new and you shouldn't need to bring anything but your gym wear.
The classroom is neat, clean and well maintained and there is a small boxing ring for sparring and training.

Comments