New Siam Guest House II

50 Trok Rong Mai, 10200, Chanasongkram, Bangkok, 10200, Thailand

• davidjo's Profile Photo

GOOD, CLEAN, AFFORDABLE ACCOMMODATION

We arrived early morning in Bangkok, and had difficulty in finding a room but we came across this guest house which was in Soi Chanasongkarm. We had a room on the 3rd floor, separate bathroom, but never mind, you can't always get what you want. The reception desk was staffed by very helpful locals who endeavoured to answer all our questions. There were also books for sale at very cheap prices and the money raised from this was donated to charity. I will definitely stay here again when i am passing through Bangkok later in the year.

• imran8852's Profile Photo

New Siam II guest house

This guest house is at Phra-A-Thit Road & it's just a few minutes walk to Chao Phraya River, Sanam Luang, Grand Palace, Santichaiprakarn Park & Phrasumen Fort. There's a safe box inside the room & also swimming pool. It's quite clean & not too noisy.

Unique Quality: Outsiders are not allowed upstairs so you need not worry about some prostitute come knocking at your door in the middle of the night.

• munapong's Profile Photo

Backpackers' Mess

Services and facilities are gd, and Guesthouse is within walking distance from Khao San Road and attractions nearby. Ideal for backpackers who want to mix around with new friends, or immerse in backpacking culture.

Unique Quality: Clean room and friendly staff.

Directions: Walk from Khao San Road Police Station, cross over to road between temple and Siam Bank. There is a straight path opposite the backdoor of temple leading to New Siam Guesthouse, follow the path to reach 7-11, and turn left.

• traveljerk's Profile Photo

A clean refuge in a backpacker's haven

New Siam III is the smallest guesthouse among the New Siam guesthouses. Considering its location along the tourist area in Soi Rambuttri and near the Khao San Road, the room is quite pricey compared to the rest of the other accommodations nearby. The rooms are small yet clean. It is compact with amenities such as TV, small refrigerator, and a safe.

Soi Rambuttri is a short distance walk to the main attractions of Bangkok such as the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaeo, the National Museum, and even the Golden Mount. It is also a short ride to the Vimanmek Mansion, the Dusit Throne Hall, and the Dusit Zoo.

Unique Quality: Clean..................

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Surprisingly good for price-Was not now

The room is comfortable and clean, reasonable size. Air conditioning, fan, cable tv, small balcony and private bathroom. Really comfortable bed with soft pillows. Excellent security. Friendly & helpful staff. Reasonably priced food and drink. Swimming pool. Also it's in a quiet location not far from the nightlife. open 24 hours. We checked in at 1.50am without having booked ahead. Mixture of people staying. No outside visitors allowed in the rooms. we are paying 790B for double in May 2007.

Well we came back here in mid August and the prices have gone up. Above room is now 840B. The reason is that they have decided that the high season has started early, despite other hotels/guesthouses offering discounts as it's the low season.

Unique Quality: I think that this place is great value for money. I would recommend this to anyone.

• flyfreak's Profile Photo

Popular with backpackers

It was my first trip to an Asian country - so I was prepared for the worst. I was so positively surprised when I arrived at the New Siam Guesthouse - I got a clean single room with airconditioning for 500 bahts a night and enjoyed my stay at this guesthouse. You have nice breakfast (try the fruit-pancakes!) on the terrasse and the place is quiet (find that in Bangkok!).
    I found this guesthouse through the Lonely Planet Bangkok Condensed travel guide which I recommend to anyone travelling to Bangkok, the author knows and loves this city so well, she gives really good advise.

Unique Quality: Located in the Banglamphu area of Bangkok, you are in walking distance to the Grandpalace, What Pho and backpacker street Khao San Road. Khao San Road is where party animals reside, but also a busy street with street food (if you have a good stomach) and lots of tailor shops. You can have yourself made a nice suit or dress with Thai clothes and you can buy Thai silk at an exceptional price.
    The closest water-taxi stop is "Tha Banglamphu"

Directions: From airport take air-con bus nr. 6, it is approx. 1 hr busdrive until bus turns into street Th Phra Atit. Get out at the 1st bus stop of this street, with the maps of the Lonely Planet Condensed guide for Bangkok you are able to find the guesthouse

• aemilys's Profile Photo

New Siam II

An excellent guesthouse. Clean, good service and they have a swimming pool too! My big comfortable room with A/C, hot shower and cable TV was 820 baht. Lot's of families were staying here when I visited and I do think it's a perfect choice. It's also located on a quiet side street so nothing to disturb your sleep.

Unique Quality: Pool, very quiet for Bangkok, good restaurant serving Thai and western food. Very convenient to river taxi and museums.

Directions: Off Rambutri

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Bangkok: New Siam II, close to Khao San Road

The Hotel was recommended to me, when I asked on VT for a reasonably priced, quiet and clean place to stay close to the Khao San Road.

And I can say it was all that.

The cost for the Room was 750 Baht per night.
    It has a TV, fridge, air condition (the fan rooms are 100 Baht cheaper)
    Doublebed - but Twins are also available.
    The shower has Hot Water
    The Toilet is western stile.
    Breakfast not included, but you can have it at a reasonably price in the Guesthouse Restaurant as well.

Unique Quality: Quite close to Khao San Road. You just walk through some quiet backstreets and arrive there in less than 10 minutes.

I personally would not want to stay directly at Khao San Road, because of the street noise (cars, sellers, lots of bars and tourists), but being close was nice, for shopping and looking around.

I also liked, that I was able to make the reservation via email.
    On their homepage they also have a map (also in Thai) to print out - for the Taxi. I would propose you do so, since our taxidriver did not look as if he found it else :-)

• seoulgirl's Profile Photo

Great service/location

I really liked this place except for the extra loud air conditioner. I like the location since it's close enough to Kaosan but not too close and close the river to get a river taxi. And you can go to the main road parallel to the water and get a regular taxi, not the ones that try to take you for more or play games with you, around Kaosan Road.

Unique Quality: Reception is very effiicient and they have at restaurant with an extensive menu. You can also just go down for a beverage, pay, and go back to your room. Also there is an internet cafe. There is a pool right next to the restaurant. No a private pool by any means. The reception area is great to chill out . They also sell phone cards and have a phone to use right there.

It was 800 baht for 2 people, one double bed.

Directions: http://www.newsiam.net/ns/newsiam2.php?PHPSESSID=4c82a5d0be1bca8fa65f9176947a6b99

• ann500's Profile Photo

Excellent Guest House and Location - Will Go Back

This is the first place we stayed in Thailand (had read a good review of it in The Times), and were very much impressed. It is just off Khao San Road in a quiet area that is a great base for getting around the city. The staff was friendly and very efficient and there is a nice little cafe and lobby on the ground floor as well as an internet cafe and travel agency. It is a safe place with key card entry for the rooms as well as security cameras in the hallways and my room had a programmable safe as well. The bathroom is a little bit small, but for the price and location, who can complain? The rooms are clean, simple but nice. We had a/c and satellite t.v. They also have a baggage storage room for a small fee. We had booked another place for our return trip to this city after seeing the south, and wished that we had booked into this place again and will definitely do so when we return someday. Everybody is cheerful at this place -staff and guests alike. When you stay at this place you are near the river and there is a nice little park on the riverside just a few minutes walk away where we watched a little pop concert and there are nice little inexpensive restaurants nearby too. The Grand Palace and National Museum aren't too far of a walk away either. I think there may be a nearby river express pier, I'm not sure. You can book ahead on the internet and that may be a good idea in high season as this place was definitely a favorite with a lot of people when we were there just before Christmas. I think we paid about 20 US dollars for a double room (including a small booking fee on the internet) but I think their rates are lower at other times.

Directions: Just off Khao San

• racayadi's Profile Photo

Great location

This is a very practical guesthouse... they have it down pat, they know what they're doing and it is cheap.... king bed w/ bathroom -- under US$20.00.... laundry done cheaply, restaurant has great food, Manager is wonderful -- gives suggestions on local seamstresses; express boat stop nearby, Khao San and its craziness is near but not right by it....
    Perfect for families, single travellers.... They're building a 4th one right on the river... I can't wait to go back...

Unique Quality: Affordable, location, straightforward, great waiters/waitresses, great pad thai!

Directions: near Unicef and FAO offices

• wynlim's Profile Photo

Quality Budget Accomodation Near Khao San

Okay it wasn't really that near to Khao San as I imagined. I booked the hotel after several positive reviews, and at 750 baht for an air conditioned room with tv, I guess there was no harm trying. I alighted at Khao San from the airport, and I had trouble looking for the hotel as it wasn't directly at Khao San and no one seemed to know where is it. But some cute guy at a diver's shop helped me out and drew me a map...thank god. I had misunderstood it was directly or at least visible from Khao San...and walked the street twice in the sweltering heat in an attempt to find it. It was actually two streets away from Khao San...at least a ten min walk away. Stay here if you wish to be near Khao San yet away from the can-be-noisy nightlife.

Unique Quality: The room was clean, bathroom was acceptable, food was pretty good....plus they have a swimming pool! Service was great too. To book the hotel just email them directly at the website below...no prepayment required.

Directions: Not on Khao San but at Phrat-A-Thit road, just turn into a small alley that's directly near UNICEF.

• hasthetravelbug's Profile Photo

Budget yet not as expensive as a hotel

When I wanted to pamper myself a bit while in Bangkok, we got a place in New Siam 2. This was a huge improvement from the jail cell like single rooms I stayed in other guesthouses. For about 600 baht, this guesthouse had CV security cameras, a nice little restaurant, tiny pool, A/C room with double bed and bathroom, and everything was spotless.
    As a backpacker, once and a while you have to splurge a bit and this place is still a reasonable price for all the amenities I craved.

Unique Quality: Helpful staff and internet access. Good location as it is near the river and Khao San Road.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Excellent Cheap Accommodation Off Khao San

The New Siam provides great rooms at cheap rates. Air conditioning and daily cleaning are the best features, and the restaurant is great as well. There is a travel service / agent in the lobby, and a pool as well. The rooms are big for Bangkok standards, and comfortable beds... overall a great place.

Directions: Just say New Siam II to a tuk-tuk driver

• New Siam 2 Guesthouse

Price for a double room with air-con and shower Baht 550

Unique Quality: It is brand new place with air conditioning and very friendly people. The guesthouse is located in a side street behind a temple and is very quite. On the ground floor is a restaurant which serves great breakfast and sandwiches.

Directions: 50 Trok Rong Mhai, Phra A-Thit Road
    Chanasongkran
    Bangkok 10200 Thailand

(Side street behind Khao San road)

Comments