Roof View Place

90/1 Samesean Soi 6, Banpanthom, Pranakorn 15000, Soi 6 Banpanthom, Bangkok, 10200, Thailand
HostelBookers.com Agoda.com Hostelworld.com

More about Bangkok

FreezeFreeze

suvarnabhumi - at early stagesuvarnabhumi - at early stage

King Puttayodfa StatueKing Puttayodfa Statue

BTS Skytrain On Nut StationBTS Skytrain On Nut Station

Hiring a guide

by geminimoai

I'm going to be in Bangkok next month, and I want to hire a guide for 3 days.

I already know the places I want to visit.

Should I wait 'til I get to Bangkok to hire a guide through the hotel, or is there a way to find one online before I leave?

Thanks for your help.

by SirHalberd

Thailand and Bangkok in particular has many tour companies. If you are going to an area frequented by many tourists it may be cheaper to get a tour. Travel agencies are the places to go for tours. They pick you up at your hotel, provide the guide, take you to the particular destination and then return you safely to your hotel. Most of the tours are with 9 or 10 other tourists in passenger vans. Find a tour one day and leave the next morning. Sometimes find a tour in the morning and leave that same afternoon or evening.

You can get cars and drivers through many travel agencies also. Your hotel may be able to set you up with tours and also a driver. There are lots of travel agencies available, just choose one or two near your hotel and compare prices.

If it is just trips to popular tourist areas it is cheaper to go with a tour. If you have a van and driver for several days, besides the normal rental and driver charges you may also be obligated for the driver's food and lodging too.

It depends on what you need a driver for. Thailand does have excellent and cheap transportation.

Good luck.

by Curt1591

Here is a list of private guides in and around Bangkok:

by geminimoai

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful!

by buffybird

I got a guide through here, if you want his details i can give you his email. Tommy was absolutely wonderful and i would not hesitate to use him again. He will pick you up from the airport if need be. As to cost, we had a day trip up to River Kwae, saw the tiger temple, went further on to an elephant village, then up to a water fall, a total of around 600 km in the day and it was BHT4000, The next day we did Ayyathaya and it was BHT2500.

His car is modern and his services impeccable, please email me if you wish to have his contact details.

Travel Tips for Bangkok

Climate

by Santini738

Bangkok has a tropical monsoon climate under the Köppen climate classification system.
Bangkok is said to have the highest average temperature of any city in the world.
Average temperatures in the city are about 2°C higher than the ones shown for the Don Muang Airport at 1960-1990 period. Absolute maxima is 40.8°C and absolute minima is 9.9°C. The coldest temperatures were recorded in January 1924, January 1955, January 1974 and December 1999. The coldest daytime maximun temperature was 22.3C, recorded in December 1999. Hailstorms are virtually unheard of in the city, with only one having been recorded in the past fifty years.

Japanese soi

by Hewer

If you are living in Japan or have a connection otherwise to that country, you might want to check out soi 24. There are numerous establishments catered to the Japanese market there, including restaurants, guest houses, clubs and bars. It's reasonably authentic and they even have Japanese speaking staff. As a foreigner living in Japan, I was a little bemused by the whole thing initially, but I guess soi 24 has become a little piece of my adopted home whenever I visit Bangkok.

In terms of the restaurants, prices are higher than average for Bangkok, but much less than what you would pay for something of the same quality in Tokyo or Osaka. A lot of the Japanese expats tend to frequent the soi 24 restaurants, which says something for the quality. There are actually 50,000 Japanese nationals living in Bangkok, which surprised me a little. Soi 24 is worth a wander if you are interested.

SIAM SQUARE

by Adeline_Foo

SIAM SQUARE is a very popular shopping area among Thai and foreign visitors. The area is centrally located and surrounded by hotels, shopping complexes, movie theatres, and it is the main junction of sky train

Bargaining

by Jmill42

Bargaining is a science; an art form. Some think they are somehow too good or rich for this technique. Me and other enlightened people, like ClarkRB, have perfected this useful negotiating tool. If you have money to throw around, I can give you his or my address. We take check or credit card!

Otherwise...

Virtually everything is open to negotiation. So, unless you are in the ritziest of places, always bargain.

On Khao San Rd or any market, ALWAYS start with 1/2 of what they say; going up no more than 20%. If they won't budge, walk away, because there are numerous other people with the EXACT same thing you are trying to buy. You will here "OK,OK!", as oyu walk away. Beautiful.

One of my favorite memories of this was buying my “Bathing Ape" shirts. First, I had never seen this company, and I thought their shirts were hilariously weird. I HAD to have one. The 1st guy was trying to look cool and tough. I already knew I wasn't going to buy from him. But I wanted info from him. I asked "How much?" He said 450 Baht (~ $11USD). I said no way; WAY too much. He said, "How much you want to spend?" I said 200 Baht. Basically, I filled time, just arguing back in forth with him, until he agreed on 220. I said, "OK, never mind." And I left. He was yelling for me to come back, dropping to 180 Baht as I walked away.

So, I head down the road, and look for the most desperate-looking seller and stop there. I pick up the SAME, EXACT shirt and say first 120 Baht. She laughs, and says, "NO WAY!!", and grabs it out of my hand. DON'T be discouraged!!! Now, I use their tactic. How much, and she starts at 200!!! The starting price differed by 250 Baht!! I've already succeeded in buying 2 for 1 from the other guy! I used the same bargaining speak with her, and end up settling for 160 Baht. That’s $4, instead of $11. Anyone who's been in Thailand knows that’s about 5 meals! Just use your head, and never take the first, or even second offer.

If you do, me and ClarkRB, will be laughing at you. Remember our addresses...

It is Soothing! Wholesome!

by machomikemd

Thai massage is believed to have been developed by Jivaka Kumar Bhaccha, physician to Buddha, more than 2,500 years ago in India. It made its way to Thailand, where the Ayurvedic techniques and principles gradually became influenced by traditional Chinese medicine. For centuries, Thai massage was performed by monks (especially at Wat Po) as one component of Thai medicine.

Thai massage is more energizing and rigorous than more classic forms of massage. Thai massage is also called Thai yoga massage, because the therapist uses his or her hands, knees, legs, and feet to move you into a series of yoga-like stretches. Many people say Thai massage is like doing yoga without any work. Muscle compression, joint mobilization, and acupressure are also used during treatment.

Thai massage is usually done on a padded mat on the floor. No oil is applied, so you are fully dressed. You are usually asked to bring or wear comfortable clothing to the massage. A typical Thai massage is 60 minutes to two hours long. and cost 300 Baht per hour (NOTE that what made BANGKOK INFAMOUS is the TURKISH BATH, not the THAI MASSAGE!) pls see my Bangkok off the beaten path tips!

thai massage service is available everywhere! (hotels, spa's, beauty parlors, malls, etc!)

Comments