Royal President

Tags

Business Travel Family Travel Singles
See Amenities

A Rare Bad Experience In Thailand

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 18, 2012

I stop twice a year in Thailand as I travel between Australia and Europe. This time, a friend was supposed to join in from Canada to roam around north Thailand for a week. But some flight delay made him cancel his trip.
I had the first night booked up in JW Marriott. Their excellent service was offered as you'd expect from Marriott all around the world. Thumbs up Marriott.

I cancelled the rest of our hotel/flight booking for Chiang Mai and decided to spend few more days in Bangkok instead.
I moved to Royal President.
The receptionist offered THB 2,900B per night. That's including the service/VAT plus breakfast.
When I said the internet booking showed prices starting from THB1,556++, she offered 20% discount (that is BHT580) if I stayed 2 or more nights. So, be it, I stayed the two nights. I paid a deposit of BHT4,000. The next morning, I went to pay the rest. There was a different shift manager, an old lady who spoke a little English. She charged a full rate of THB2,900. When I questioned that, she picked a big calculator and explained in broken English "Ok Ok,, 2,500 per night, 4,000 - 2,500 = 1,500. Give me another 2,000, that includes 1,000 deposit." So, she charged me THB2,500 per night. Now, that's a bit more than what the first receptionist offered. Anyway, I respect that some poor people can make their living out of that. It doesn't make a big difference for me to pay few extra dollars here or there.
I tried the breakfast the first day. Nothing special, the only thing I could consume was the guava juice. The next day, that juice was not offered. So, I ended up with a cup of tea only.

When I checked out, there was a young guy at the reception desk. He know my room number as I approached him. The paper work was there. A refund of THB200! Yes, two hundreds only. I just asked a simple question, what is the room rate? He goes politely, 2,900 sir.
I smiled and thought it is not worth repeating the whole argument for a third time for the sake of THB800. I just told him calmly, "I usually offer a tip of THB1,000 to receptionists and baggage handlers when I leave. But this time, I will just offer it only to the baggage handlers as you already over-charged me."
I went out for a last minute shopping. When I returned to pick up my luggage, I needed to print my flight's boarding pass. The old witch was there this time. I was asked to use their computer to email the page to her. Then she will print it for THB36. No worries, the internet was killing slow. It took me 10mins to send a web link to the boarding pass page. First, the old witch didn't know how to open the email. I showed her how to do it. Then her internet stopped working!!! It took over 30minutes trying to open a web page!!! I said, forget it. The online check-in would have saved me an hour at the airport, and here I am wasting that hour with you.
I was about to take my luggage and leave, when the witch asked me to pay ThB60. That's for using their computer!!!
I am quiet in nature. If my voice goes loud, then there must be something extremely annoying.
It was a bad mistake moving out of Marriott to Royal President. All I needed was a clean bed and a clean shower. I could tolerate the rest. BUT, I can't tolerate stupidity.
They are charging me for a service that didn't work!! Great, I decided to question the witch about the rates that kept changing from 2,900 to 2,320 to 2,500 then back to 2,900. She denied it first. When I told her this is a stupid lie as I faced her of her words a day before, she said we offer it only for 3 or more nights. Another cheap lie. I questioned her showing me the rate for two nights on her giant calculator!! She started mumbling in Thai, a sign of disrespect of guests speaking to them in a different language.
I didn't have time to waste. I gave luggage handlers their THB200 tip and headed to the airport with a rare bad experience in Bangkok.
I promised to spread the word. I will publish it everywhere.
If you are ever to stay in this place, make sure that you get all details written in your receipts beforehand. Not only a figure of the amount as these guys are cheap liars.

Unique Quality: The bed was clean. The restaurant staff were polite.
The concierge was helpful.

b_unique_'s Profile Photo

Great Location and accomadations...

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 23, 2007

This was my first trip to Thailand and we were fortunate to select the location we did... I'm and American and we were looking for great location and we wanted something nice and this Place, the Royal Pressident Service Apartments was perfect, located a few blocks off the main street and very close to the Train station. The rooms were very nice size, with full size fridge, large bathrooms, room safe and free high speed wireless internet was included with my room.

The Resturaunt in the hotel had great food and the prices in the resturaunt were more reasonalbe than I thought they would be and you can order room service meals 24 hrs a day, which was really convenient.... The staff was very professional and friendly and there english was great... I would recommend this hotel completely....

Unique Quality: They have a very nice Pool, Work-out facilities, and a Courtesy Shuttle taxi to take you to the train station, they can also arrange Transportation to and from the Airport at a reasonable fee...

Directions: Soi 15

Overpriced, overrated..and that's the good part.

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 28, 2006

Wow...what a difference 10 years make. Always a big problem with asian hotels. Bad upkeep and hotels can become dated real quick.(I guess building a new hotel is cheaper than renovating)
10 years ago I stayed at the royal president and it was a real eye opener for me. The rooms had the luxury of a 5 star hotel, without the facilities of a 5 star hotel. being in a city like Bangkok...the extra facilities like restaurants etc was not missed. And instead could enjoy the luxury of a 5 star accomadtion at a fraction of the price.

Anyway this time I came to BKK wthout a hotel reservation and was offered the royal pres. Because I had such good memories i agreed, even though the price has become ridiculously high compared with back then.

well even with the price hike...if the stay was as good as a few years ago..i'd be happy to pay for it.

Sadly it has gone downhill. Several guests complained that the service has fallen even below the serviced app standards.(new management) and that the rooms in the 'newer" towers are quite worn and tired.

I wish i was so lucky..i got a sapphire suite at the 'old' tower. Place was a nightmare. it was huge..that's for sure. but the place is so worn and old. u can even say decrepit. Even the bellboy apologise for the room.

I just stayed 1 night...but I am done with the president group. since they got a new management these guys have used the once good reputation of the president group for price hikes ,while cutting the quality of service and upkeep of teh hotels.

Now u r paying 5 star prices for 2 star quality rooms.

Unique Quality: well best thing is...pretty discrete entrance at the old tower. at a sidestreet inside the parkinggarage.

Directions: soi 15 at sukhumvit.Quite a walk frm BTS.

Excellent 4-star hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2005

Stayed in a Deluxe studio room and in my opinion the room was much better than my room at the 5star Westin. Only negative point is that it is a long walk to Sukhumvit Road and lacking foothpath to get there.

Nearby Royal President

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Bangkok Travel Forum

Need advice about Bangkok, Thailand? Visit the Travel Forum for Bangkok and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bangkok hotel reviews