Royal President

Agoda.com Booking.com Asiatravel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 44% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• A Rare Bad Experience In Thailand

I stop twice a year in Thailand as I travel between Australia and Europe. This time, a friend was supposed to join in from Canada to roam around north Thailand for a week. But some flight delay made him cancel his trip.
    I had the first night booked up in JW Marriott. Their excellent service was offered as you'd expect from Marriott all around the world. Thumbs up Marriott.

I cancelled the rest of our hotel/flight booking for Chiang Mai and decided to spend few more days in Bangkok instead.
    I moved to Royal President.
    The receptionist offered THB 2,900B per night. That's including the service/VAT plus breakfast.
    When I said the internet booking showed prices starting from THB1,556++, she offered 20% discount (that is BHT580) if I stayed 2 or more nights. So, be it, I stayed the two nights. I paid a deposit of BHT4,000. The next morning, I went to pay the rest. There was a different shift manager, an old lady who spoke a little English. She charged a full rate of THB2,900. When I questioned that, she picked a big calculator and explained in broken English "Ok Ok,, 2,500 per night, 4,000 - 2,500 = 1,500. Give me another 2,000, that includes 1,000 deposit." So, she charged me THB2,500 per night. Now, that's a bit more than what the first receptionist offered. Anyway, I respect that some poor people can make their living out of that. It doesn't make a big difference for me to pay few extra dollars here or there.
    I tried the breakfast the first day. Nothing special, the only thing I could consume was the guava juice. The next day, that juice was not offered. So, I ended up with a cup of tea only.

When I checked out, there was a young guy at the reception desk. He know my room number as I approached him. The paper work was there. A refund of THB200! Yes, two hundreds only. I just asked a simple question, what is the room rate? He goes politely, 2,900 sir.
    I smiled and thought it is not worth repeating the whole argument for a third time for the sake of THB800. I just told him calmly, "I usually offer a tip of THB1,000 to receptionists and baggage handlers when I leave. But this time, I will just offer it only to the baggage handlers as you already over-charged me."
    I went out for a last minute shopping. When I returned to pick up my luggage, I needed to print my flight's boarding pass. The old witch was there this time. I was asked to use their computer to email the page to her. Then she will print it for THB36. No worries, the internet was killing slow. It took me 10mins to send a web link to the boarding pass page. First, the old witch didn't know how to open the email. I showed her how to do it. Then her internet stopped working!!! It took over 30minutes trying to open a web page!!! I said, forget it. The online check-in would have saved me an hour at the airport, and here I am wasting that hour with you.
    I was about to take my luggage and leave, when the witch asked me to pay ThB60. That's for using their computer!!!
    I am quiet in nature. If my voice goes loud, then there must be something extremely annoying.
    It was a bad mistake moving out of Marriott to Royal President. All I needed was a clean bed and a clean shower. I could tolerate the rest. BUT, I can't tolerate stupidity.
    They are charging me for a service that didn't work!! Great, I decided to question the witch about the rates that kept changing from 2,900 to 2,320 to 2,500 then back to 2,900. She denied it first. When I told her this is a stupid lie as I faced her of her words a day before, she said we offer it only for 3 or more nights. Another cheap lie. I questioned her showing me the rate for two nights on her giant calculator!! She started mumbling in Thai, a sign of disrespect of guests speaking to them in a different language.
    I didn't have time to waste. I gave luggage handlers their THB200 tip and headed to the airport with a rare bad experience in Bangkok.
    I promised to spread the word. I will publish it everywhere.
    If you are ever to stay in this place, make sure that you get all details written in your receipts beforehand. Not only a figure of the amount as these guys are cheap liars.

Unique Quality: The bed was clean. The restaurant staff were polite.
    The concierge was helpful.

• b_unique_'s Profile Photo

Great Location and accomadations...

This was my first trip to Thailand and we were fortunate to select the location we did... I'm and American and we were looking for great location and we wanted something nice and this Place, the Royal Pressident Service Apartments was perfect, located a few blocks off the main street and very close to the Train station. The rooms were very nice size, with full size fridge, large bathrooms, room safe and free high speed wireless internet was included with my room.

The Resturaunt in the hotel had great food and the prices in the resturaunt were more reasonalbe than I thought they would be and you can order room service meals 24 hrs a day, which was really convenient.... The staff was very professional and friendly and there english was great... I would recommend this hotel completely....

Unique Quality: They have a very nice Pool, Work-out facilities, and a Courtesy Shuttle taxi to take you to the train station, they can also arrange Transportation to and from the Airport at a reasonable fee...

Directions: Soi 15

• Overpriced, overrated..and that's the good part.

Wow...what a difference 10 years make. Always a big problem with asian hotels. Bad upkeep and hotels can become dated real quick.(I guess building a new hotel is cheaper than renovating)
    10 years ago I stayed at the royal president and it was a real eye opener for me. The rooms had the luxury of a 5 star hotel, without the facilities of a 5 star hotel. being in a city like Bangkok...the extra facilities like restaurants etc was not missed. And instead could enjoy the luxury of a 5 star accomadtion at a fraction of the price.

Anyway this time I came to BKK wthout a hotel reservation and was offered the royal pres. Because I had such good memories i agreed, even though the price has become ridiculously high compared with back then.

well even with the price hike...if the stay was as good as a few years ago..i'd be happy to pay for it.

Sadly it has gone downhill. Several guests complained that the service has fallen even below the serviced app standards.(new management) and that the rooms in the 'newer" towers are quite worn and tired.

I wish i was so lucky..i got a sapphire suite at the 'old' tower. Place was a nightmare. it was huge..that's for sure. but the place is so worn and old. u can even say decrepit. Even the bellboy apologise for the room.

I just stayed 1 night...but I am done with the president group. since they got a new management these guys have used the once good reputation of the president group for price hikes ,while cutting the quality of service and upkeep of teh hotels.

Now u r paying 5 star prices for 2 star quality rooms.

Unique Quality: well best thing is...pretty discrete entrance at the old tower. at a sidestreet inside the parkinggarage.

Directions: soi 15 at sukhumvit.Quite a walk frm BTS.

• Excellent 4-star hotel

Stayed in a Deluxe studio room and in my opinion the room was much better than my room at the 5star Westin. Only negative point is that it is a long walk to Sukhumvit Road and lacking foothpath to get there.

More about Royal President

Great value for money

by TripAdvisor Member joanna82

This was a brilliant hotel in Bankok and I really recommend staying here. The staff were brilliant and so friendly, they made you feel very welcome!! The only room available was a small apartment and we were very impressed by it when we arrived, although we never used the kitchen the value for money was just too good to turn down. The swimming pool was small but perfect and never busy and theres only two computers with internet which were always in use. The food here was amazing and very reasonably priced. We found the Royal President in good location to the train station and the main high street and there's a small travel agents around the corner which booked all of our trips and flights for us around Thailand and once we'd finished touring around Thailand we came back for another two nights stay before flying home!

royal president review

by TripAdvisor Member jello-25

I just returned from Thailand after staying over 2 months at the royal president. I was very pleased with the rate /room and staff.
I was treated very nice and had no troubles with room or staff .The food was great in the cafe.
I am returning to Thailand this year and plan on staying there again and looking forward to seeing all the new friends i made at the royal president.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member MikeSydney

I stayed in the Court Wing which is across the soi and up an alley from the main building. The apartment was very spacious and the small restaurant meant having to wait for a table for breakfast on one occasion. Located just off Sukhumvit Rd, it is handy to the Skytrain and a short walk to a large department store (Robinsons), tailor shops etc, plus some of the racier establishments. The hotel seemed to have a liberal attitude toward allowing visitors in rooms. My accommodation package included two nights with a one way airport transfer and was quite good value.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member candym

This hotel was great. We stayed there 6 nights and then again another night before we returned home. Everyone was very nice. We loved the door man...very funny and sweet. The cafes food was great. We ate there everyday because it was so good. The people that work in the restaurant were very friendly. Also the included buffet breakfast was WONDERFUL...They had American, Asian and European styles. The pool was very clean and private. The gym was good too. My husband used it everyday.

The room was a nice size and clean. The shower had a little mold but not bad. The bed was very uncomfortable but we found out that most beds in Thailand are (they have very hard mattresses).

After staying there we decided to stay there on our last night too before we had to fly back. And they were very nice and upgraded us to a suite :) THANKS!

We will definitely stay here again when we return.

Excellent Service Staffs

by TripAdvisor Member Fussytraveller2828

The hotel is ideally located just minutes from the BTS.

Service overall is excellent and the staffs are always helpful with your queries and never ever lacking in their response to any questions , however trifle.

Room is also huge and value for money.

The only let down will be the linen/towels which seems a little worn.

Adequate

by TripAdvisor Member wisethemouse

The Royal President is a clean hotel in a good location. Overall it was a satisfactory experience minus the following few points:

1. The service was lacking when I arrived from the airport at 1am. I checked in and they gave me the room card but did not help me (or even offer to help me) with my luggage. They didn't tell me that I needed to put the card in the elevator to make it work. When I got to my room the lights were off and it took me 10 minutes and a phone call to the front desk to figure out how to operate all the lights.

2. The room had a door to a connecting room which obviously was no longer used as it didn't have door knob but I could hear the conversation and the TV from the next room as if they/it were right in my room.

The shower pressure was average but they didn't replace the soap until the 3rd day.

To end on a positive note, the breakfast buffet was great. Fresh fruit and good service.

Very well appointed & comfortable hotel in a great location. Loved it.

by TripAdvisor Member Trevelexpert

Excellent serviced apartments, very well furnished, large rooms well equipped. Reception and service desk personnel always so helpful. Concierge service including porter services were great.
Hotel is very conveniently located minutes from BTS Asoke and complimentary Tuk Tuk service provided by hotel.
All important markets and super markets are minutes away by BTS or taxi.
Breakfast is very well laid out with plenty of selection of different types of food.
Being located at Sukhumvith, you have excellent choices of great food of all types with so many different restaurants around.
Limo service to and from airport is excellent, coupled with the room package its the best value for money.
The room rates are also extremely competitive.
Will definitely stay here next time and will also strongly recommend to others.

Comments