3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Shanghai Mansion
Booking.com Orbitz.com Agoda.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 33% more than other 3.5 star hotels

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

In the heart of Chinatown.

Now re-named the "Shanghai Mansion" and still under renovation on the lower floors, this was a very good night, calm too, as we were towards the rear of the hotel. Well decorated room but only a tiny bathroom. There is also a washbasin in the bedroom itself in a corner. Plenty of room in the cupboard, and you also have the use of silk dressing gowns. Although there is a lightwell the room can seem a little claustrophobic as you cannot open the window there.
    Breakfast is served in the makeshift dining room (quite good by many hotels standards) and is a well furnished buffet and included in the price. There is also a small bar down on street level where you can watch the world go by under cover and there is also a band playing from around 20h30.

We paid 62€ for the double room

Unique Quality: On the second floor under the lightwell is a small indoor pond with places to lie and meditate.

Directions: About 600 metres from Hualumphong mainline station, not far from the Wat Traimit (Golden Buddha temple).

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Excellent 4* hotel in the heart of Chinatown

I stayed at Shanghai Inn for 6 nights during a visit to Bangkok in September 2007.

I booked this hotel via lastminute.com and paid just 22 GBP per night for a single room with en-suite facilities and breakfast included.

The hotel is 4* and belongs to the "Special Hotels of the World" group: (http://www.ghotw.com/shotw/thehotels.aspx)

Location

Shanghai Inn is located on Yaowarat Road, right in the heart of bustling Chinatown. Hua Lamphong railway station and the adjacent MRTA (subway) station are a 15 minute walk away, while in the other direction the Ratchawong ferry pier (where you can catch the Chao Phraya Express Boat along the river) is a similar distance away.

There are countless food stalls right outside the hotel, as well as a handful of Chinese restaurants. However, no bars are allowed in Chinatown (although restaurants do serve alcohol). There is a bakery, a small supermarket and an ATM on the ground floor of the hotel, and a 7-11 store just a few doors down.

Bedroom

My bright, spotlessly clean room contained a large four poster bed, satellite TV (19 channels including CNN, ESPN Sports, Star Sports), a large double wardrobe, a small fridge, a kettle (with complimentary Chinese tea), Chinese lantern light shades, a telephone, a safe deposit box, a dressing table with a large mirror, a washbasin, a colourful stained glass window, artwork on the walls and, most importantly of all, a good air conditioning system.

The floor was bare stone, with just a Chinese rug besides the bed.

The en-suite shower and toilet room was fairly spacious and included the novelty of a bird cage with two fake birds in it, hanging by the shower. Hot and cold water is available 24 hours a day. The standing area of the shower consists of mock wooden boards, which can be quite uncomfortable to stand on in bare feet.

Fresh towels were provided daily and full maid service was also carried out each day.

Unique Quality: .

Breakfast

The reviews that I had read prior to my stay weren't very flattering towards the breakfast, but I thought it was pretty good.

You can choose from cereals, toast and marmalade, fried eggs, omelettes, bacon, sausages, yoghurt, croissants, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, orange and pineapple juices. You can eat as much as you like, and the food trays are refilled often enough to keep the food fresh.

General

A board outside the hotel lists the names of each new guest on the day that they arrive. I've never seen that anywhere else before.

Some of the staff were a bit too persistent in their desire to be helpful. The porter who carried my bag to my room upon arrival insisted on giving me his telephone number to call him if I wanted to book any excursions, or buy a suit, or anything else that I might need. After a long flight I just wanted to sleep, the last thing I needed was an over-eager porter trying to sell me a new jacket and trousers!

Internet access is available in the hotel for a small charge, and free wi-fi access is available in all rooms.

A massage service is provided by the hotel.

I was able to store my luggage, free of charge, after checking out of my room on my final day before going to the airport later in the evening.

All in all, this is an excellent value for money hotel. The rooms are bright, colourful, clean and well furnished and, with a good breakfast included, are a bargain at 22 GBP per night.

However, if I ever return to Bangkok, it is unlikely that I would stay in Chinatown. I'd probably base myself somewhere with better transport links and a greater selection of restaurants, such as Sukhumvit.

An excellent hotel, right in the heart of Chinatown. If you want to stay in Chinatown, then this hotel is a fantastic option!

Directions: Yaowarat Road, right in the heart of Chinatown.

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Hotel with character in Bangkok

We stayed at Shanghai Inn for three nights in Dec, 2006. We paid $168USD for a package which included 3 nights, airport pickup, One hour massage for two and breakfast. We had seen prices as low as $45USD/ per night for just room and breakfast. Room was fantastic and included cable TV w/some English channels, nice ammenities, complimentary bottled water, refrigerator, room safe, nice furnishings. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was especially good with a large variety but not many cooked items. The massage was excellent, not located in the hotel but within the same building as the hotel, very convenient. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Internet was available for a small 1/2 hr charge and there is a nice public sitting area with books, etc.
    Update:
    WE stayed at this hotel again in April, 2008. Rates were significantly higher as this hotel appears to have been discovered and is apparently in high demand. We paid 2300 baht/night, (about $74 USD) inc. a very good breakfast buffet and open mini bar in room. Very nice still but much more than 18 months ago. Patty negotiated hard from asking price of 2900 baht/night. Some, but not much of the new cost is due to the USD losing ground to the Baht but that is only about 2 baht from 18 months ago, so most of the increase is just their ability to get more and inflation within Thailand. Still a very nice hotel in a good location.
    Also: Internet is now free in the lobby.

Unique Quality: All furnishings in Hotel are of a Oriental theme. Hotel is right in the heart of the Chinatown district of Bangkok. Plenty of very interesting side streets and shops and restaurants right at hand. A 10 minute walk to the river water taxi dock. Area seemed very safe with lots of character. We wandered around in the evenings with no problems.

• Pimilan's Profile Photo

Chinese style hotel

Incredible chinese style hotel in China Town. Small bulding with room on 4th to 6th floor. Chinese style troughrout the hotel. Incredible bathroom with birdcage, chinese bath. Chinese bed and 3 chineses restaurants in the bulding. A great experience, one of the most original hotel in Bangkok.

Unique Quality: Chinese style, great location in china town. Economic

Directions: In front of China Town hotel

• enjoyable_bangkok's Profile Photo

Shanghai Inn

Did not stay this hotel but shortlisted this hotel when I was planning for the trip. When I was in chinatown bangkok, I walked and walked and suddenly came to a place very strangely decor. So we went up to see and realised it is the hotel that I had shortlisted, Shanghai Inn! Found the decor to be strange and the hotel to be quite deserted. Overall, I do not like the hotel.

Unique Quality: Strange decor. Shanghai style.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo

Gorgeous boutique hotel in Chinatown

We ddn't stay here, but we will next time we visit. We inspected some of the rooms of this just opened hotel - new, so it has that going for it, and its very modern and Chinese to the max. Decor black and red and other colourful combinations, with lots of room, cupboard and bathroom spaces, and tasteful little accessories around the rooms.

Its in Chinatown, which is a bustle, but its up off the street. Entry is via an escalator, and rooms are well back from Yaowarat Road. Located so that the Ratchawongse pier and Hualamphong Stations are a few minutes walk either way, and in the middle of this amazing part of Bangkok.

While we can't comment on service staying there, the staff were nearly falling over themselves to show us around, even the larger suite and adjoining rooms, which were still under final construction.

There are 1 or 2 rooms on the street, but overall downside to the lovely little place is the lack of height and therefore view.

Unique Quality: Its just so tastefully done, and there is a touch of individuality about the rooms.

More about Shanghai Inn

by TripAdvisor Member Walkab0ut

Having stayed at the Burasari, Patong, I had high expectations of its sister hotel in Bangkok. A check at the hotel website [--] also sucked me in due to its gorgeous photos.

After a taxi ride from Suvarnabhumi airport which cost 380Baht (but should have cost 300Baht), we were warmly greeted by the bellboy who had been expecting our arrival. As the lift door opened I was wowed as the hotel looked exactly as in the photos. The bellboy showed us to our rooms and true enough, the decor was contemporary shanghai chic. Absolutely gorgeous... Excellent use of space in one of the most overcrowded cities in the world! I would give them an A for cleanliness as well.

A word of warning though... friendly as they may be, do NOT allow the bellboys to plan your itinerary for you. It appears there is some kind of conspiracy between the bellboys and the tuk-tuks/taxi drivers. They may give excellent recommendations but it is pretty obvious they get some commission from their so called "friends".

The strategic location of the hotel means you are never very far from the must-sees of Bangkok. A one-way ride to the Grand Palace should cost about 300Baht by tuk-tuk or 500-600Baht by metered taxi (depending on traffic). I wouldn't recommend hiring a tuk-tuk by the hourly rate of 40Baht as you should be prepared to spend hours enjoying the splendid temples of Wat Phra Keow, Wat Po and Wat Arun (all within the Grand Palace vicinity). It is easy to catch a tuk-tuk/taxi back from popular tourist areas.

While on the subject of tuk-tuks/taxis, beware that some of them will talk you into dropping by a jewellery wholesaler/tailor which is supposedly cheap. These shops are actually "sponsors", meaning for every customer who spends 15 minutes in the shop, the tuk-tuk/taxi fella will get a stamp for free gasoline. Also, always check out the opening hours of some tourist centres so that you won't be fooled by the tuk-tuks/taxis who will tell you that it is not yet opened and therefore use it as an excuse to divert you to other commission-earning outlets.

Should you tire of haggling with tuk-tuks/taxis, an alternative is to take 10-15 minute walk to the Hua Lamphong MRT station. Bangkok does have one of the better rail systems in South-East Asia. The air-conditioned stations and coaches are a true reprieve from the heat and polluted roads.

Back to the hotel location. As expected, a hotel smack right in the middle of Chinatown surely means cheap and authentic food. An absolute must have is "Hao niao mam buang" (Mango with sticky rice). Find it around the corner to the left of 7-11. Somewhere along the middle of the block is a guy with a stall outside a shophouse. You'll never miss it, just look out for the yellow and juicy mangoes laid out on his table top.

You may also find Thai massages for 200Baht an hour. I personally recommend it. You'll need it after all that walking. With a map, good shoes and minimal navigation skills, you will also find the Temple of the Golden Buddha (Wat Traimit) and a typical Chinatown market all closeby.

All in all, it is difficult to put a general rating on this hotel. I would give it a 10 for location; 9 for decor; 8 for cleanliness/room service; 4 for facilities (no pool, tiny restaurant) and a thumbs down for conspiring bell boys.

In the Mood for Love

by thinknow101 about Shanghai Inn

The Shanghai Inn is a bit like being in Wong Kar Wai's movie, In the Mood for Love. The mood of the hotel is set by the richly painted interiors, dim lighting and colored glass windows. The boutique hotel occupies two levels of this building is furnished with modern Asian furniture and Chinese lanterns hanging from the ceilings. The bathroom included a birdcage with artificial birds (cute touch).

We asked for a quiet room away from reception and were put in room 414. The patterned colored glass window didn't open, but the sun shining on the glass was great. However there was an exterior walkway outside our window used by the employees. Many of the rooms have windows that faced the central atrium, so they don't get much light. Room 414 was next to an employee office, so you could feel them occasionally slam the door, but only during the day.

The receptionists at the desk spoke English and even assisted us in booking a room at a hotel in Ayuthaya. Not all the employees speak English, but are generally helpful. If you book in advance, there will be a welcome board with your name in the lobby.

The hotel has a restaurant which is only used for breakfast. The breakfast buffet consists of eggs, french toast, fruit, yogurt, cereal, and bread, juice, tea and coffee. There is a room service menu, but we didn't try it since Chinatown is full of restaurants. There is a full supermarket on the street level, a dim sum restaurant directly across the street. In the evening, the alley at the end of the street has busy sidewalk stands selling grilled seafood.

The air-conditioned room has a fridge, hair dryer, safe, and a tea set. Atmospheric Chinese-themed aesthetic. See the website--the photos on the site are pretty accurate. Thai massage spa downstairs--discount for hotel guests?

An absolute gem!

by TripAdvisor Member MaoriWahine

We stayed a total of 7 days at the Shanghai Inn. We stayed there for 5 days then went on to Phuket and then went back to the Shanghai Inn as we loved it so much. The room we had was on the 5th floor and was really spacious and immaculately clean. We had no issues with noise and always felt completely safe even as two girls staying together. We asked for a room with natural light, which we got, but it doesnt really mean much as the windows are stained glass. If you are looking for somewhere peaceful with excellent staff, funky rooms and at an excellent price, then this is the one! The only thing we found was that it is based in China Town. China Town is an upcoming part of Bangkok and you will only see locals on the street. The hotel provides a free Tuktuk service to the more touristy parts of Bangkok and it is really easy to catch a taxi from outside the front door. But if you want everything on your doorstep then this may not be your part of town. But if you can sacrafice this for staying in style, then go for it! We will definately be going back there.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member cindyjay

After a long flight from the USA it was wonderful to see a smiling faced young man, holding up a sign with my name on it at the airport, by Starbucks. Exactly where they said someone would meet us. Loved the Shanghai Inn as soon as we stepped out of the car. It is exactly like the pictures.

We had a deluxe room. Very large and wonderfully decorated. The people working there were all very nice and helpful. Breakfast was just ok. It is perfectly located for spending a few days seeing the sights. There is a large grocery downstairs and a bakery! We moved (as planned) on the 5th day just for a change of locale and to be near the sky train.

The only problem I did have was that I had booked directly thru them for a package deal. I had booked a jr suite, but at 1 am they showed us to a regular small room with no windows. I had to pull out my paperwork to prove I had reserved a suite. The package also included massages for 2 and a few other things. Each time I had to pull out my paperwork to show them what I had already paid for. So take a copy of everything with you!!!

I would highly recommend Shanghai Inn to anyone who wants something out of the ordinary!

Chinois delight

by TripAdvisor Member Serenet

My husband and I enjoyed the beauty and comfort of our room at the Shanghai Inn. Indeed, those photos tell the truth! Rooms are on the 4th and 5th floors. Reception's on the 4th and our room was on the 5th. We had absolute privacy and were never disturbed by noises in the corridor, from other rooms or from outside which was, after all, the busy Yaowarat or Chinatown area.

The housekeeping staff were especially warm and friendly and got us extra hangers and pillows after a translator was sought. Maybe the hotel could teach their staff words like "more" and "extra". Well, at least I have learnt the thai words for them!

Front office staff were friendly enough though most seemed easily flustered and the frowns came on quickly with just one or two queries or requests put forward.

Breakfast was a tat sad and cold (eggs, bacon, and sausages), though I was happy enough to have some fruits, yogurt and a coffee to start my day. We would inevitably try some thai dish soon enough once our feet got us going.

I agree with reviewer "WalkaBout" on the over-zealous bellhop and self-appointed itinerary planner... Therefore, it's best to make that quick exit to one's own preferred mode of transport. Hua Lumphong mass transit station (as well as the railway station) is just 12 mins' walk away.

We didn't care for tuk-tuks as the fumes from other vehicles as well as the noise of this zippy 3-wheeler were as dreadful as the sore bum that I developed after one experience.

We were equally aghast at the taxi-drivers who have a moral flexibility that leaves little to be desired. Without exception, all taxi drivers we encountered refused to use their taxi meters and asked for easily double the fares for a ride and the only way we knew this to be the case is that at least on 2 occasions, the meters were left running so we got to see what the eventual costs were. Naturally, they insisted on what was agreed on (fair enough) or claimed their meter was spoilt or unreliable!

For this reason above, the location of Shanghai Inn becomes a setback especially at the end of a long day of walking when a taxi-ride to the door-step would have been preferred. Nonetheless, the Yin-Yang Spa on the 3rd floor offered a brilliant end-of-day rub-down. This really suited us as we could just stumble to bed after our nightly massages which was exactly what we did for almost all the nights we stayed at the Shanghai Inn. Their services were wonderful. Operation hours are 10am to 12 midnight.

There's also a bank, bakery and supermarket on the ground floor which are all opened daily. One other plus to the Shanghai Inn was their wireless broadband so we could work from our own laptop from our room. All in, this was a great hotel stay!

Shanghai Inn @ Chinawtown

by kumchee

Any comments on Shanghai Inn situated at Chinatown?

RE: Shanghai Inn @ Chinawtown

by thedouglas

If this is the hotel I think it is-on Yarawat a couple of blocks down from Wat Tramit- it looked wonderful. Earlier this year when it first opened we had a look at the rooms and they where first class. Therese put some info on a Bangkok hotel tip. cheers

Comments