89 Soi Wat Suan Plu, New Road, Bangrak, Bangkok 10

Shangri-La Hotel,Bangkok
Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• Sangri-Laaa

Ok I wont lie but I am a Hang Over fan and after the release of its latest movie it was must to get myself a room in the hotel and experience the Shangri La for myself. Totally lived up to the name and my expectations. I for one would vouch for the place anytime and every time.

• Lives up the name

I am a frequent flyer when it comes to Bangkok and several other destinations in the Asia pacific region. I have had a chance to stay at almost all the major hotels and I must say Shangri la Bangkok truly lives upto the name. Excellent services, dreamy rooms, well mannered staff and delicious food. If you have a thing for cuisines you should definitely try the restaurants. The pool area is peaceful and calm, this place is truly a perfect accommodation whether you are on a business trip or on a leisure trip with family. I would definitely love to stay there all the times if not for my company policies.

Unique Quality: The pool was peaceful and the restaurants serve delicious food.

• toppsmark's Profile Photo

Excellent Hotel

I have visited Bangkok many times for business, but this was the first time for pleasure. My wife was with me, so I wanted the hotel and room to be really nice. So I decided on the Shangri La hotel, a horizon club room. It turned out to be a really good choice because the room was exquisite. It was on the 33rd floor, overlooking the river. It was actually a suite with a separate sitting area. Everything about the room was fantastic. The bed was wonderfully comfortable, the bathroom was large and beautiful, with a large separate shower. The decoration was beautiful and the lighting dramatic. My wife still talks about that room.
    The club lounge had simple, but excellent breakfasts and it was a delight to sit there and look out on the city from so high up.
    The staff were so friendly and kind. I really appreciate great service when I travel, and I have never experienced better.
    I only hope that I have the opportunity to stay here again.

Unique Quality: The pool is beautiful and restful. We ate at 2 of the restaurants and the food was absolutely first class.

• Lovely hotel, just stayed at the wrong time!

Recently visited Thailand for the first time and Shangri La was booked by a local colleague. I arrived on an overnight flight at 7:00am and collected from airport by hotel limousine service. Hotel representative at airport and driver both apologised for the renovations and noise taking place at the hotel - turns out they were getting their apologies in early! Again, on check in the reception staff apologised for ongoing work. After a quick shower I settled down for a nap but the work began at 9:00am (on a Saturday). Normally noise doesn't bother me but this was incessant and sounded as if the rooms above, beside and below were being demolished. I complained at reception who were apologetic and offered to try and find me another room but I decided to move myself poolside and relax there. Work went on until late afternoon and started again on Sunday morning although this didn't bother me as I was up early and out of the hotel with friends. Apart from this the Shangri La proved an excellent hotel. Location is superb, right beside the river. Facilities are first class and the staff throughout the hotel are courteous, friendly and helpful. Food and drink was excellent although on the pricey side. Breakfast came to £20 which is frankly ridiculous, even with current state of the £ - who eats £20 worth of food at breakfast time? Overall, my stay was good and I would definitely go back, just making sure that the renovations had finished.

• Most beautiful room in Asia

I got a Horizon Suite in the Shangrila wing on my most recent stay at the Bangkok Shang. It was simply an exquisite room. The decor had a lot of Thai details, with the most interesting screens, wall-hangings, ornaments, hand-painted paintings, patterned wood panels, Thai silk pillows, etc. The Thai motif was a prefect fit with the modern furniture, and the Thai details were indeed a treat for the eyes wherever they should wander.

The Horizon suites also come with a work area, a separate bedroom with heavenly sheets, etc. The bathroom is very nice with a separate shower (nice tropical shower head) and Etienne Aigner toileteries. Very nice and comfortable. (Perhaps not as luxurious and high-tech as the bathrooms across the river at the Peninsula, but NO complaints at all.)

I really appreciated the fruit plate, the fresh flowers and the tea/coffee making facilities as well. There was also a scent menu that you could select as part of your turn down service.

Of course, one of the advantages of the Horizon-level rooms is the access to the Horizon Lounge. Great breakfasts, afternoon tea, hors d'oeuvres and cocktails at different hours of the day. I must say overall, the service was SIMPLY IMPECCABLE.

This was my second stay at the Shang and of course I was less taken by the wonderful view of the river. It was still just spectacular.

The front desk manager told me that the Shangrila will be undergoing a renovation after 22 years. I must say that some areas of the hotel are showing some wear and tear. Frankly my previous stay at the same Shang had much to be desired, but the Management and Staff more than made up for it and I'll definitely stay with them again.

I struggled a bit whether to pick the Shangrila wing or the newer Krungthep Wing. On this trip I made a point of checking out one of the rooms in the Krungthep Wing. Honestly the Horizon rooms were much nicer for my personal taste as the Krungthep Wing rooms had a more minimalistic modern decor.

The Shang, in the finest tradition of Bangkok hoteliers, really spoils its guests. I can't wait to go back there! The downside is, it'd be so difficult to be happy with other hotels elsewhere in the world and particualrly if it's not a Shang!

Directions: Near Saphan Taksin Sky train stop, right by the river

• Shangri-la, was less than expected

On arrival, the checkin staff were so busy they were not as friendly as I had experienced previously with Thai service. The rooms are dated, in need of renovation and not value for money. We did not even want to consider the CHI spa on first look at the prices. If you are on the Horizon Club room, the room is not new but there is access to the Lounge on the 24th floor which was nice.

Directions: Riverside

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A comfortable Stay in Bangkok.

What a delightful experience to arrive at this hotel after a long flight from Helsinki. Our room 1919 was spacious and beautiful overlooking the Chao Phraya River. The view is very similar to others we have stayed in Bangkok

The dinner was amazing overlooking the waterfront with traditional food and fabulous dancers to entertain us. A must to do if staying here. Book early to ensure a waterfront position.

Pool area is great to cool off after a days shopping. Sauna is available but why bother in Bangkok!!!

I have stayed at many hotels in Bangkok and have basically enjoyed all of them. I do not think you go past Asian hotels for comfort and service.

My pick in Bangkok is the Marriott Spa only because its low rise and built in a traditional Thai flavour.

Unique Quality: extremely comfortable.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

5 Star Hotel overlooking Menam Chao Phraya River

An excellent hotel if your budget can afford.

Stayed here for a convention. Excellent convention facilities. Great gym.

There is a boat service to a riverside shopping complex. Walking distance to a public boat taxi too.

Great to have buffet breakfast, eating Thai longans and watching life goes by on the river.

• MajorGrillo's Profile Photo

Best spa experience ever

Unique Quality: The spa of this hotel is quite excellent. It is called "Chi" and it deserves being called like that: a treat to both body and soul. We have chosen a treatment called "Ying-Yang Journey", a four hours (!) delight in a secluded area entirely at your disposal. It starts with a foot massage while a cup of healing tea is being served, continued with steam bath and whirlpool (with huge lotus flowers floating on the surface of the the pool!) and finished with a complete body and face massage during which you understand the true meaning of "relaxation".

• aquamarine_cf's Profile Photo

Not a great experience at all

At the first, room and the rest of a hotel looked pretty decent, but then I have run into a few problems that made me book another hotel when I came back. These were:

- Bad air conditioning: Althrough it worked temperature-wise, the circulation of air in my room was very bad, to the point that I wanted to spend as less as possible time there. Besides from the fact that I really need good air circulation because I smoke, even when I stopped doing it in the room I could feel the cigarette that I have smoked my first day there, plus the lack of oxygene. When I have asked the staff to open the window for a while so a little air can enter (at least while the room is being cleaned up), I have got an answer that "the windows were sealed", what wasn't true, it was obvious that they were locked.

- Very expensive internet and business center:
    We 've had no other option than to meet there because we have had to work on a holliday, and it left us pretty angry. Internet cost was cca 600 baht (18-20 US$) per hour, and a projector was cca 1200 baht(40 US $) per hour too. If you have to have a meeting, better choose another option althrough it is on the company expense, because you can really feel like fool.

Good sides were not that bad restaurants and kind staff

• slasty's Profile Photo

Shangri-La Hotel

Have only stayed here once but would be more then happy to stay here again. Five Star hotel located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. The lobby to the Hotel is enormous and it is worth trying the Cocktails at the lobby bar. We had a river view room which was large and very well laid out. The hotel does alot of small things which make your stay so much better.

The Hotel has a large pool and spa. Next to the pool is a bar and casual dining next to the river. The Hotel has a number of restaurants including Angelina's which is some of the best Italian food in Bangkok.

Breakfast is served in the restaurant next to the river. Great selection and what was better sitting outside watching everything go by on the river.

The Hotel also runs a dinner cruise which was fanstastic with some delicious Thai food on a modern boat with live music. Can also dine outside on the cruise boat which was great. The hotel has alot to offer.

Unique Quality: Five Star Service, fantastic location next the river with five star facilites.

Directions: Next to Chao Phraya River

• BETTYALUFOHAI's Profile Photo

River View

Definitely recommended to everyone,most expecially if you want to be a king for one day its worth it

Directions: Beautiful view of the Chao Phaya River

• Restless-in-kl's Profile Photo

Riverside stay

Located on the banks of the Chao Phraya River, Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok is set in beautiful tropical gardens (picture take from website).

Be sure to ask for a river view when you check in. Also ask for a free upgrade to their newer rooms which comes with a bay window, spacious bathroom with rain shower and fine amenities.

Breakfast comes with a river view and the pool here is gorgeous. Their corporate rates are fantastic!

Unique Quality: Great location next to river and Skytrain
    Lovely thai food at Salathip
    Dinner cruise by the river
    Spacious rooms

• andrewrgale's Profile Photo

One if the finest accomodations in Southeast Asia

Very plush from greeting at the door to check-in at your rood. Staff eager to please. Italian resturant one of the best in the World! Pool areat very pleasant and breakfast roomvery nice. Highlight was separate all teak Thai resturant with traditional Thai live music and dancers. Great food, great service and wonderful service.

• abott's Profile Photo

Superb high quality hotel

Exceptional hotel. I booked this off hotels.com. Got a fantastic price for a standard room. When we checked in, we were upgraded to an Executive Suite... top quality, high class all the way

Unique Quality: This hotel is in a fantastic location... located on the river, you can walk out of the hotel and catch a ferry along the river. Also at the same spot is the end of the train line. You can take the train into town or out to the flea markets. The train is inexpensive and airconditioned.. a blessing when the humidity is 100%.

More about Shangri-La

Shangri la hotel lobbyShangri la hotel lobby

Shangri-La HotelShangri-La Hotel

Garden Restaurant, Shangri-La HotelGarden Restaurant, Shangri-La Hotel

river view from Shangri-la hotelriver view from Shangri-la hotel

Shangri La hotel

by martinswans

Hi has anyone stayed at the Shangri La hotel, if so can you tell me what you thought of your stay. Many Thanks.

by MEMOS

it is one of the best hotels in BKK. The food is great. Also there is a shop outside the hotel that sels very good copies of copy watches. find NICK's shop...

RE: RE: Shangri La hotel

by mickygooner

the shangri la is a fine place to stay but dont rule out the dusit thani branch of hotels , also well worth looking at .

by frodo88

if you can afford this class of hotel, you dont need copy watches, you already own the real thing....any of the river front hotels in this area are fine, all depends on the deal you get or which frequent stay program you are best ranked in....

by Mikebb

Hi Have dined at its restaurant several times and it is top class, we walked through the grounds and past the beautiful swimming pool by the river. This is a 5 star hotel, one of the best hotels located on the Chayo Praya river and very close to a Skytrain Station.
Good Luck

by thelawyer100

it is very comfortable, great rooms, and views, attentive service, and wonderful location by the river
but....
the mosquitoes by the pool are huge, the patio is quite noisy with all the long tail boats, its not convenient for shopping along sukhumvit because you have to go to siam square and change to go east, there is nothing of interest in the immediate vicinity, and it is not a very nice neighbourhood , and it is a long way from most of the sights, and worst of all, the price of food and drink is out of all proportion to the prices you will pay in bars and restaurants in town.
that said, very confortable.

Comments