48 Oriental Ave, Bangkok, 10500, Thailand

Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Agoda.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Costs 109% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Phildagr8's Profile Photo

On Bangkok's river, with good buffets

I didn't stay at this hotel, however I did visit it 2X. This place has the Authors Room, where famous authors would come & stay while working on their novels. There's the famous Hemmingway room, which is off to the left and downstairs when you enter this hotel. There used to be a whole different lobby to this hotel, and that's where you have to go to find this area.

There was a Thai couple that had their wedding reception here on my second visit (in November). Very nice!

You can get off the ferryboat that goes up the river (and stops at the designated stops) but I forget which stop is the stop to get off at. (Map is still in the suitcase)

Unique Quality: There are these giant wooden bells hainging in the lobby. Incredible.

There are 2 buffets: There's the Thai buffet, and there's the Seafood Buffet at the "sister" hotel across the river. There's a ferry that goes back and forth across the river from both of these hotels, and it's free! The bufffet was the most expensive food I've paid for during my stay, but probably the most eloquent.

Directions: As soon as you get off the boat, the left side of the hotel is on your left and you'll have to walk up these steps past some foliage to get to it.

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A special treat !

The Oriental is located on the Chao Phrya River directly opposite the Peninsula Hotel. We stayed for a day/ night here to recover from a European trip before heading home to Sydney. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous it oozes with history, character, opulence and luxurious qualities and facilities.

We find all Asian hotels to be marvellous and have stayed at numerous hotels in Bangkok. This trip we wanted to experience the Oriental and we were not disappointed. It’s a true 5 star Asian hotel with all the 5 star trimmings one would expect.

Our room 928 was a deluxe Riverview suite with a spacious elegant sitting room with a balcony and river views. The suite was elegantly furnished with colonial and Asian décor. Ceiling to floor windows lead to the balcony. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. Fresh fruit and flowers were delivered to the room daily. River view suites also have their own butler.

The bathroom was enormous with two separate vanity units, walk-in shower and separate bath tub. There was also a separate powder room and walk-in dressing room.

There are so many restaurants to choose from it becomes a difficult task to decide. We opted to have dinner at China House which is located outside the hotel. The food was absolutely splendid and the 1930’s Art Deco Shangri setting created an exquisite charming atmosphere for dining. Breakfast was on the terrace and we thought it to be excellent.

The swimming pool is located on ground level overlooking the river and we found it to very pleasant. There is also a large plunge pool which has gorgeous covered beds to lounge in.

Unique Quality: Overall, this hotel is very romantic, exotic, glamorous and luxurious. A real treat for a weary traveller. Next time I’m opting for one of the Author suites which looked amazing. This hotel really does not suit children. I think they would be bored here, especially since they have a strict dress code. The Marriott Spa would be more suited for families.

• Bagkok's great hotel

Returning to the Oriental after a year the staff addressed us always by name and made us feel that we were honored guests. The rooms, both in the old & new wing were fantastic. The setting on the river is beautiful. Food at the restaurants is excellent. The buffet is everything that one could wish for.
    This hotel is expensive, but worth every Baht.

• maybe the worlds best?!?

I have been there in 2004. There is nothing much to say... its fantastic. The hotel supports all the traveller´s needs. Great staff, perfect rooms, two pools and if you start your day with a breakfast at the terrace, it should be a perfect day.
    Make sure you book a room at the Garden Wing. I had such room with a living area and a sleeping area a bit higher... with a great windows facing the river, a huge crystal chandler and a good bed. The area around the hotel looks a bit dark, but thats BKK...

Definitely the no 1 in BKK!

Unique Quality: Breakfast at the River Terrace.

• jpizquierdo's Profile Photo

Thailands king treatment

If you have heard about service in Asia, King treatment....this is the place. ( I had a really good deal on internet rate in their page ) is like a city inside a hotel. the service people is very charming ( I even think that they did like a movie casting to hire them ) all of them will make you feell confortable. food is awesome ( they even have a culinary school ) eating outside on Mae Naam Chao Praya river shore with hotel boats crossing is like a dream. if you are used to 4 or 5 stars hotel you will be sourprised on the price on this one, will cost more then the others but worth it.

Unique Quality: They have, pool ( they will provide you with a bath robe, its a obligatory the use inside the hotel if you are witha swiming suit ) ), they have 10 restaurants in the hotel, Spa, great views.

• william_navigator's Profile Photo

Best Hotel in Bangkok

This old dame is definitely still on the dance floor waltzing away. More expensive than most hotels in Bangkok but you get what you pay for. Service staff are immensely helpful with a helping hand and a warm smile. I don't think we ever had to hit the up or down button for an elevator.

Grounds are lush with vegetation making you forget you are in a big city. Location right on the river is postcard perfect. Watching the river traffic float by over breakfast is a show in itself.

Unique Quality: From the river wing virtually every window has a great view of the Chao Phraya river. The 2 pools set in luscious gardens are a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the streets. Restaurants are top notch, upscale and fine dining. Chinese Restaurant out in the front of the hotel is especially recommended for its old colonial style charm.

Shuttle boats to the Dinner-Show Restaurant and to the Skytrain are a plus. Getting a short boat ride to the Skytrain saves your feet for the walking that is ahead.

• Great

What more can be said about this legendary hotel? From the time we arrived at the airport and were whisked away by a waiting chauffeured BMW (who then radioed ahead so that we would be greeted by name upon arrival), our stay far exceeded even my uber-picky standards.

We were fortunate to be upgraded to a large junior suite in the River Wing with great views from both rooms, as well as the bathroom. The bed and linens were supremely comfortable, and the soaking tub is ideal for a couple. There is also a separate shower stall with both fixed and handheld shower heads (the water pressure is very good).

The gym and spa facilities, located across the river from the main hotel and accessible by the hotel's private ferry, are well equipped. There is yoga class every morning at 7 and 8 AM. Since we were the only ones there one day, it was like having a private session complete with individualized stretching. At the Oriental, service is the name of the fame. Everytime we got out of the elevator, the butler assigned to our floor would run ahead to open our door.

When we were checking out, it took exactly 30 seconds to get someone to come up to retrieve the bags. While eating breakfast, your buffet plate will be cleared the moment you get up to get something else. Eating breakfast by the river is quite a pleasant experience, and the buffet is both extensive and tasty. All in all, the Oriental is what all hotels should aspire to, and while not cheap, it is definitely well worth it!

• Absolutely perfect!

Fantastic. Excellent location, close to major shopping and business facilities. Beautiful gardens and professional customer service.

Unique Quality: If you want to play golf book you own tee time and transportation to avoid a hefty price.

Directions: Located on the banks of the Chao Phraya "River of Kings", close to the centre of the city, it is one of the world's truly great hotels.

• trisanna's Profile Photo

Great for a splurge

This is one of the world's best hotels. We stayed here for our first wedding anniversary and was well worth the splurge. We had a beautiful room with a river view. Each floor has their own personal butler, who delivered freshly squeezed fruit juice when we checked in. Each day, we had fresh fruit delivered into our room. The bed was super comfy and the bathroom was very nice. During the day, the butler took my husband's shoes and had them polished-without our asking.

High tea by the river is a wonderful experience. I highly recommend this hotel.

Directions: BTS Saphan Taksin station. About 15 minute walk to station. There is a free boat shuttle to skytrain station. Ask hotel staff for details. Can take river taxi from Oriental pier.

• bko61163's Profile Photo

Beautiful Oriental in Bangkok

Did not stay but visited. Beautiful property in a good area along the river. Very nicely appointed with terriffic bar and restaurants.

Unique Quality: The pools looked beautiful and the lobby was very elegant.

• Rodan44's Profile Photo

Bangkok's Original Luxury Hotel

On our first visit ever to Thailand, my wife and I spent a long weekend at The Oriental in Bangkok. We chose this hotel because of its reputation for some of the best service of any hotel in the world. Normally we wouldn't stay at such an expensive place, but this was no ordinary weekend getaway because it was our 1st wedding anniversary.

We got a standard room, but it was still amazingly luxurious. We had a partial view of the river. Every day a different plate of fresh fruit was left in the room. The bathroom was huge, with a big jacuzzi tub.

Since I had informed the hotel that it was our anniversary, there was a heart made of fresh roses on our bed when we arrived. I thought this nice of them, but then they out did themselves later that night. After coming back from dinner, waiting for us in our room was a plate of fresh fruit, a chilled bottle of sparkling wine in a bucket, and a small cake that read "Happy Wedding Anniversary" (see photo). I was blown away! I didn't even have to request any of this or pay extra for it. Definitely made our anniversary a romantic one to remember!

Unique Quality: Shortly after we reached our room, a staff member came in with fresh juice and told us that he was a butler assigned to our room, and that all we had to do was push a call button by our bed and he would attend to anything we needed. Wow! This was a first for me. I couldn't even think of anything to ask him for. Also, after coming back from sightseeing during the day, I found that my nice evening shoes had been polished for me, despite the fact that I never requested it. Now that's service!

Directions: Silom

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Old Oriental

This is the original building of the Oriental. Pretty building and we didn't have time to go inside but I don't think the rooms here are still used...maybe just function rooms?

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

River View

I'm a breakfast person. I function best in the morning especially after a couple of cups of coffee and a hearty meal that usually gets me through all the way til dinnertime.
    The Oriental's buffet spread has everything from congee to cold cuts to 6 different fruit juice flavors and rice and sausages and bacon.
    Having breakfast in the sunny terrace by the river makes it doubly refreshing.
    I stayed at my best friend's flat in Sukhumvit soi 12 and most likely won't need to stay in hotels as long as she's still based in Bangkok but if I would choose a hotel to stay at, I'd book at the Oriental for its easy accessibility to the ferry and the BTS.

• fedecec's Profile Photo

Classified the best Resort/Hotel in the World

The historic and legendary Oriental Hotel, now 125 years old, is renowned for its colonial-style elegance and timeless ambience in an exotic Eastern setting. It is one of the world's truly great hotels.

Unique Quality: The Oriental's amenities and facilities include: 360 superbly appointed rooms, 35 luxury suites and a fitness centre, tennis, squash, pools (adult and children’s), Thai cooking school, Thai cultural programme and day care centre. Prices ? From 300 USD to 2200 USD, per night naturally!

Directions: Along the left bank of River Chao Phya.

• frank&Ietje's Profile Photo

Best hotel

125 year old and still leading. Beautiful rooms and suites, exelent service. Near the river and has his one Spa to relax. The have a Casa l'habanna for Cohiba's etc., and the best restaurants.

Unique Quality: Spa, pool, gym, shops

More about The Oriental, Bangkok

Cooking class

by kazuhr

I am thinkng to learn Thai cuisine by attending an one-day cooking class. Does anyone recommend me any cooking schools in Bangkok?

Kazuko

RE: Cooking class

by joyful_sun

You can try any of these places:
1. Blue Elephant Cooking School (B2,800 per day, close to Surasak skytrain stop)
2. Baipai Thai Cooking School (B1,400 per day with car pick up from major hotels)
3. Landmark Hotel
4. The Oriental Bangkok (most expensive $100 per day)
Hope this helps.

by kazuhr

Thank you very much, it is a great help.
Baipai Thai Cooking School looks good..?

by joyful_sun

Yes Baipai seems like a good school.
I'll be taking a few classes there myself.

by kazuhr

I just found another cooking school in Bangkok, called
ABC Cooking Sudio.
But most of the pages are written in Thai, and I cannot know if they have a class instructed in English for tourists. ("Contact us" page doesn't work well)
It's in Siam Squre, so it seems convenient place.
Has anyone took this school?

Comments