The Regent Silom Serviced Apartments

BTS Skytrain stationBTS Skytrain station

Fare TableFare Table

Bangkok Flooding?

by mojopac

Hi all, I'm arriving in Bangkok on the 1st November for 3 weeks, 1 week in Bangkok, then off to Hua Hin...and back to Bangers for 3 more nights.
Can anyone tell me if the flooding has made travel around Bangkok difficult? We're staying near the MBK Shopping mall ( 5 minutes walk). Thanks for your advice in advance

by Curt1591

There are been some flooding, riverside. Bangkok has, for the most part, avoided any real flooding. Nothing, downtown, has been affected.

by SirHalberd

I can tell you that there is no real flooding in the Sukhumvit area, the Pratunam area and no problem getting from the airport to the city. I did see one of the Skytrain stops, think it was Thaksin, that had some minor flooding near the steps going up. City put some sand bags out so the passengers could walk and not get wet. Just choose a hotel that is not close to the river area for now. Serious flooding is in a small part of the city but news reports make it sound like it is the entire city - it is not!

Good luck.

by joliefish

don't worry..pratunam area is safe from flood! :)
enjoy ur holiday..

by mojopac

We're staying at Siam @ Siam Hotel, I believe 5 mins walk to the MBK centre. Being me, it's a bit hard to get wet feet in a bar, unless you have a fair amount of spillage!
Thanks again.

by SirHalberd

Flooding or not, I never take a room on the first floor anyway!

(Closer to the street those rooms are noisier and any street level windows are just "other doors" for people to enter your room.)

You should be okay with most of the things you want to do in Bangkok. When you take a meter taxi (only paying the meter fare, which covers everyone you can safely stuff in) those drivers will know what areas to avoid. The Skytrain is elevated anyway!

Travel Tips for Bangkok

Special on New Year's Eve

by ann500

I don't know if this temple is normally open at night, but it was on New Year's Eve when I was there. Much better when contrasted to the time I saw it in the daytime - it was not packed full of people - very few people were there at about 11.30 pm - but was very calm and quiet from outside with low murmurings, the smell of incense and the muffled clink of coins (or something) being dropped in alms bowls. Very atmospheric with Thai people giving their offerings at the main temple (Reclining Buddha)and a smaller one within the complex. I didn't see any other foreign tourists other than me and my husband. And the buildings were gorgeous and sparkling at night and take on a completely different look! This is one of my favorite memories of my time in Bangkok. Enter on the north side near the north-west corner, I believe.

Along the banks of Chao Phraya River

by yen_2

Chao Phraya River plays a main role of Thai life. Some of their history can be traced with this sprawling river banks. Old Temples, palaces and the communities living along the river. There are lots of boats operator that will ask you to tour you around the river but my recommendation goes to Chao Phraya Tourist Boat. Catching the Sunset along the river is such a lovely thing to do and while doing this a cuppa would be refreshing!

Thailand, where to go what to do?

by bulldogtwo

I would agree with John, If you are really looking for the full flavour of Thailand, you should try and do Chiang Mai. You will not have a lot of time but unless you are going to do some treks a couple of days in Chiang Mai would be enough for you to get a taste. Time is your biggest adversary here so I would fly to and from your destinations, You will still have to allow for half or more of a day for travel between the south and north, as you will probably have to stop off in Bangkok to get north or south.
A couple of other ideas as to where to go could be Ayutthaya, the old Thai capital. Kanchaniburi and Hell's Pass, really good national park located there. The Thai natioanal parks are great, if you are near them you should try to take advantage of them. And then there is Ranong, still on or near the Andaman coast and you can crossover to the Burmese side for a few hours there. 3 hour bus ride up the coast from Phuket. Don't confuse Ranong with Rayong near Ban Phe. All three of these would be good 2-3 day trips instead of Chiang Mai if you feel you don't have the time and they are easier to get to. Let me know if you are interested in these places andd need more info on them.
Good luck and have FUN! Khao Lak Thailand

Buddhist Monk

by Linda_T

- Buddhist monks are forbidden to touch or be touched by a woman, or to accept anything from the hand of one. If a woman has to give anything to a monk, she first hands it to a man, or put it on a plate provided.

I shall start with FOOD ...

by Krystynn

I shall start with FOOD first:

Remember to buy lots of delicious Thai crackers (covered in pork floss). It sounds yukky... but trust me, once you've tasted it - you'd NEVER be the same again. These crackers literally melt in your mouth.... I was out shopping at one of the local department stores when the sales girl let me try one piece (for sampling) and gosh, I think she must have regretted her action. Why? I stood there for a long while and gobbled up ALL her sample crackers!! O.K., O.K., I ain't THAT bad - really, I DID compensate by buying up ALOT of these Thai crackers in return -- to be distributed to my friends and family back home in Singapore.

You must also try the Thai Durians -- it's really delicious. Sooo meaty and sweet and....and.... we smuggled some durians back into our hotel room to have a midnight feast.... only to have our little midnight party disbanded almost immediately when we received a phone call from the hotel management saying that we should refrain from eating durians in the building premises because the strong smell has upset our Caucasian neighbors. Oops!

Photo Below: Lovely Thai souvenirs! I bought one of these hats from the Floating Market.... Unique!

Comments