Hua Hin Marriott Resort Spa

107/1 Phetkasem Beach Road, Hua Hin, 77110, Thailand

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Freiner's Profile Photo

A room with a view

Some Thai's were spooked by a prophecy of a island going to sink into the sea and disapear, so I got a good promotional rate. It was one of the hottest weekends as the sun was closest to the earth. Still a bliss.

Unique Quality: Taking the train 3rd class from Bangkok, then a motorbike from the rail station and reaching a 5* reception welcomed with a warm smile.

• A Big Letdown by Marriott Hua Hin Management

In summary: This is not a “5 Star” resort – it may have been 10 or 15 years ago. My recommendation is that you may consider staying at Marriott Hua Hin if you find a room there for US$150 or less and includes breakfast for two people. Rooms are old and lacking maintenance. Bathrooms are tiny - very narrow bathtub and no shower cubicle. Breakfast is good. Beach is clean. Location good. If you have a higher budget and you want a high standard of room then don’t stay at this Marriott – Hua Hin and Cha Am has many real 5 and 4 Star hotels which are much newer and in our opinion (based on hotel inspections we personally conducted and room rates we obtained from their web sites) will offer you a lot better value for money.

Read detail review below.

Stayed at the Marriott Hua Hin with my wife for a weekend away from Bangkok (2nd time stay, last time was in 2002) and booked through hotel website for a Beach Terrace Room (sea view, ground floor) with King Bed and paid about US$350/night for the room including breakfast, tax & service charge.
    Service: Check-in was efficient courteous. We were asked to wait a few minutes so that they could check if the room was ready. Waited only a few minutes and was escorted to the room (Room #001). Few minutes later the Bell Man knocked on the door and I opened the door - no greetings of any sort - he simply picked up the suitcase, walked into the room, dropped the suitcase and asked me "How long you stay?", extended his hand for a tip and without a smile or saying "thank you" took the money and walked out. I'm not sure if he expected a bigger tip or not but I tipped him pretty good. Suggestion to Marriott Management: Whatever training you are providing to your Bell Men / Concierge Personnel needs to include the basics of how to greet and speak to hotel guests and not just extend their hand for tips. This is not how Thai people speak and certainly not the Thai hospitality I have experienced in the years that I've lived and travelled through Thailand.
    Service at breakfast was good and the people working there performed efficiently to keep up with the flow of guests (it was a busy weekend) and most importantly did not forget to smile, even though it was quite hot and humid in the breakfast are (for your info – the breakfast area is not air conditioned and only a few fans placed there for air flow). Check out was quick and efficient.
    Sleep Quality: I had trouble sleeping because there was a constant "knocking/clicking" sound coming from somewhere inside the room (I think it was the fridge or the air con). It was difficult to fall asleep with the sound but I didn't wake up once I fell asleep. Bed and pillows were comfortable. Air con needed to be turned down to 19 degrees C for it to cool down the room but it was quite hot and humid weather.
    Cleanliness: The men's toilet in the lobby area (next to the Sand Trap bar) had such bad odor that I had trouble breathing when I went in. There was a light fixture in the ceiling on top of a wash basin that was dripping water into the basin below and when I looked up I saw that the ceiling material had rotten away around the light fixture. There is black mould around the drainage pipe below the sink. Question to Marriott Management: Does your hotel have maintenance staffs that are properly trained to identify these? If yes, then how it is that a hotel you claim to be 5 stars has such a disgustingly smelly toilet with water leaking from the ceiling? I have been to some bathrooms in petrol stations by the highways in Thailand which did not smell as bad!
    Location: Marriott Hua Hin has a private beach which is very clean and has lovely white sand. You do see a few vendors trying to sell T-shirts and souvenirs but they don't bother guests that much. Marriott employees have done a good job at keeping the beach clean and tidy.
    Rooms: This hotel is more than 20 years old - and I'm not sure when was the last time Marriott spent money in refurbishing this room where we stayed and this is one of their more expensive sea view rooms. The room that we stayed in was certainly dated. It had a huge bump on the wooden floor (the wooden floor had swollen-up) near the sliding door; the sliding door to the terrace did not have all the tracking wheels and made a screeching noise (metal rubbing against metal) as you tried to open it. The bathroom is super small - even for us having small body structure. It was extremely difficult to pull the lever on the shower control to activate the overhead shower. Shower water temperature control was very tricky - it was just too hot for most of the setting. There is only a bathtub (I should say a very narrow bathtub!) and no shower cubicle. This was the exact same style bathroom I had in the room where I stayed 10 years ago!
    Question to Marriott Management: Does your hotel have maintenance staffs that are properly trained to identify and report these problems in the guest rooms? If yes, then how is it that one of the more expensive guest rooms has a swollen-up wooden floor which is actually a trip hazard? Why do you, the Marriott Hua Hin management, charge in excess of $300 per night for a room which has a swollen-up floor causing a trip hazard? Why did you not block out this room so that it could not be assigned to guests? This to me is prime example that Hua Hin Marriott does not care about guest room quality and or safety in guest rooms – you prefer to make money from a room that is in need for maintenance and not to mention it has a safety issue (trip hazard).
    Why have you not spent money in upgrading your rooms, especially redesigning the bathroom and redecorating your these rooms? Many reviewers in Trip Advisor commented about these two issues – why do you not pay attention to the feedback that your customers are providing?
    Why put only a few fans in the breakfast area (there are two stand fans near the door leading to the buffet area and cooking stations in the air conditioned room), when at 9am it is almost 30 degrees and extremely humid? Almost all the guests sitting down having breakfast were sweating I noticed…I know we were. Your employees serving your guests at the breakfast area were all running around serving the guests and sweating profusely in this hot weather. I would say that it seemed to like these people working in the breakfast area were working in a sweat shop – literally!
    I’m not sure when the last time anyone from Marriott’s upper management had breakfast there on such a hot and humid morning – but I suggest someone high up from Marriott’s management should visit this hotel, sit amongst the guests and experience the sweating while eating breakfast. Maybe then Management might approve buying and putting a few extra fans (and repairing some of those tiny fans fixed to the columns in the breakfast area) – which would get the air circulating and would make it so much more comfortable to sit and enjoy the good breakfast buffet prepared by your good chefs. It would also be a more comfortable place for your people to work.
    Based on what I saw at Marriott Hua Hin I can’t help but deduce that the Management has failed to recognize that there is some real competition in Hua Hin and Cha Am. Marriott Hua Hin is not the only resort of its kind in Hua Hin like it was even 10 years ago - and their Management needs to wake up and have a look around town. For example: The Hyatt Hotel - although only 10 years old has already refurbished all their guest rooms. I went to Hyatt during this trip because I wanted to see their rooms. I am not going to return to Marriott Hua Hin and spend my hard earned money there until they refurbish their rooms and facilities. In my opinion (based on what I have seen during my inspection of Hyatt), the Hyatt offers better room rates given the fact that the bathrooms are much larger and rooms are just about the same size as Marriott except that these rooms are brand new! But the Hyatt does not have sea view rooms but their Club Rooms are similarly priced as Marriott’s sea view rooms and for me all day food and free pre-dinner drinks mean more value than a sea view room. There are other options like the Dusit and Hilton - which I inspected and found to be in much better shape than Marriott.
    The company I work for is a long standing corporate client of Marriott – not only here in Thailand but in more than 30 other countries around the world. In last 15 years I have stayed at numerous Marriott brand hotels and to be quite frank I'm simply disappointed to see Management’s failures in Marriott Hua Hin.
    Marriott Hua Hin - you are charging your guests premium 5 Star hotel rates but letting them down by not delivering the value for money to your guests. Marriott Management - you need to wake up and pick up the game if you want to survive in Hua Hin – concentrate in training and guiding your work force and re-invest some of your revenue into refurbishing your hotel accommodation.
    The European and US guests, who are Marriott Hua Hin hotel's major customer, will realize after their first stay that they are paying too much to stay in a Marriott brand hotel in Hua Hin and they can go around the corner, spend just as much as they would at Marriott or even bit less money and stay at a newer hotel with nicer rooms and modern bathrooms, bigger or equivalent swimming pools (for example Hyatt and Hilton) and enjoy a similar brand comfort. I believe the Thai clientele has already realized this from the number of Thai guests I saw at your hotel this weekend. Marriott Management - you can fool people once into making them pay premium rates for a 20 year old hotel room – but when you do that, a lot of those customers, like me, will spread that experience around to millions of potential customers around the globe through Trip Advisor and other travel forums about that subpar experience. In essence, you are spoiling your own image/brand name by not re-investing in your people and property.

Unique Quality: 1. Nice clean beach
    2. Good breakfast

Directions: Main Hua Hin city.

• Hotel in Hua Hin

Hua Hin Marriott Resort is in secluded world of its own. Located directly on the beach, with lush greenery flowing down to the white sand and blue waters of the Gulf of Thailand.

• Hua Hin Beach Hotel

The Marriott Hua Hin is located right on the beach, it is just about walking distance to town but it can be a long walk, tuk tuks are available. The resort is popular with those wanting a large resort hotel close to the busy area of the town. drink and restaurant prices are what you would expect from hotel prices. The Marriott resort Hua hin is ideal for families and couples seeking a quality beach hotel in Hua Hin, direct access to the beach as qwith all the best hotels in Hua Hin.

Unique Quality: The premium rooms are worth the extra cost.

Directions: Main road through Hua Hin, just past the Hua Hin Grand Plaza.

• johnaalex's Profile Photo

Marriott Hua Hin

The Marriott chain is now well established in Thailand and I have stayed in most of their hotels in the country (4 actually). This is not as grand as the "JWs" in Bangkok or Phuket, it is more or less the same as the Pattaya Marriott with regard to the rooms.

The swimming pool has been rebuilt to match the style of the pools in Pattaya and Phuket. For me the thing that makes this better than the Pattaya Marriott is that it is right on the beach so that you can either do your sun bathing by the pool or overlooking the beach.

The hotel is a short walk from the centre of Hua Hin.

Standard of food was very good when I was there and I thought the breakfast buffet was one of the best I have seen.

Note for Marriott Reward members - there is NOT an Executive Lounge at this hotel.

Unique Quality: The swimming pool is quite deep, the "shallow" end is about 1.6 metres, but there is a children’s pool that adjoins the main pool.

Sun bathing area overlooking and on the beach.

Directions: About 10 minutes walk south of the centre of Hua Hin along the main road.

• aukahkay's Profile Photo

Great value for money at Hua Hin Marriott

The Hua Hin Marriott Resort and Spa is located right on the beach. It has some rooms which face the sea. A Thai restaurant, Sala Thai, on the beach front offers Thai cuisine while enjoying the sea breeze. If you fancy a spa treatment, the Spa offers a wide variety of treatments ranging from US$40 upwards.

Unique Quality: I like the swimming pool - it has a sunken bar where you can have cocktails. If you prefer to swim in the sea or suntan, the hotel has a private beach.

Directions: The best way to get to Hua Hin is to charter a chauffer driven car from Bangkok Airport. A Toyota Altis with driver will cost around B2500 each way and is an economical way of getting there if you have a party of two or more persons.

• Paul_the_Seeker's Profile Photo

Marriott Gardens

Once again, my sister-in-law booked us rooms at a fancy place. I usually prefer the quaint, quiet places, but the Marriott turned out to be rather nice thanks to its lush gardens.

Unique Quality: The building sits in the middle of the property, and once you pass the counter, there are nice gazebos and gardens in a large inner area. The beachfront rooms are in a low-rise building beyond. There is a large pool with nice landscaping around it. The pool has a jet-area where you can sit and relax as well as a small water slide at the adjacent kiddy pool.

The breakfast buffet was good, and you can sit under Thai-style pavilions with garden views (see additional photos). We did not eat other meals here, so I cannot speak for the restaurants within (my brother-in-law always has to go to some special restaurant a drive away).

The beach was alright, but nothing special. It's not very wide, and the pony riders are there offering rides to tourists. The water is not clear.

Service was excellent.

• LysDor's Profile Photo

THE ROYAL-GARDEN RESORT -MARRIOTT

It was amazing and strange to see that the hotel lobby didn't have any walls, just a roof and way back a reception desk among huge green tropical plants in big pots.

...and of course after checking in and moving to our thai-house in the garden - a tropical rain soacked us completely, lol!

More about Hua Hin Marriott Resort Spa

Review Courtyard by Marriott Hua Hin

by sarahreynold about Courtyard by Marriott Hua Hin

The Courtyard by Marriott Hua hin first of all I must say is in fact between Hua Hin and Cha am, so you will also see it mentioned under Cha Am beach. The Courtyward by Marriott Hua Hin is excellent, superb facilities for families, the pool area is superb with a large water slide, great fun. The restauirant by the beach has a very good fun atmosphere. This is a welcome addition in Hua hin as the trend has been going for upmarket top luxury or boutique style, now a great new hotel in Hua hin that is ideal for copuples and families who want a fun holiday or vacation atmosphere but also a very high standard of accommodation, facilities and very nice service. Well done 10/10 Excellent facilities for couples and families, quality yet with a fun style. Very pleasant staff, well trained and amiable.

Bad experience

by TripAdvisor Member MH79

We stayed at the Marriott Hua Hin over a period of eleven days. The hotel was not our first choice. However, due to the fact that Hua Hin is heavily visited by local tourists and tourists from abroad alike, every other hotel was fully booked.

The setting of the hotel in a tropical garden is very attractive, as well as the architecture of the lobby. The check in to the hotel was problematic, as upon being assigned to our room we had noticed that we were given to separate beds, instead of a king size bed as requested during our reservation. In addition, the view of our beach front room was obstructed by several trees. This took away a large amount of natural daylight.

This prompted us to request a room change, which was managed very unsatisfactory and unprofessionally. Indeed, there was no notion of any apology. In addition, the room we were moved to, was in even worse state that the one we were in before. However, being completely fed up with the entire situation and not having any other rooms free at the time, we accepted to stay in this newly assigned room. This at least gave us a little more natural daylight.

The rooms generally are very dark, shabby, moist and carry a damp smell. One needs to use lighting also during the daytime period. The furniture itself appears to be of low quality. Furniture in Thai style can be very beautiful, but not the furniture the rooms are equipped with at the Marriott.

The walls are paper thin, so it was difficult to get a good rest over the entire eleven days of our stay. One could virtually hear everything that was said or done in the adjoining rooms, i.e. the use of the sanitary facilities, as well as the use of the light switch, etc.; in general very high noise pollution. Our sleep was disturbed single night over the entire period.

One did not feel very comfortable in the rooms, the rooms need urgent modernization and refurbishment. At the current stage, they do not meet the standards of a reputable, international hotel chain.

The service at the front desk was rather impersonal and not very cordial. This was balanced out by the attentive service found at the restaurant facilities at the hotel, which was very friendly and accommodating. Quality of food and also beverages are of very high standard, so one can recommend to eat at the hotel. But one should not be disturbed by the relatively high prices, in comparison to restaurants in central Hua Hin or Thailand respectively.

The pool at the hotel set within the tropical garden is beautiful, it may be too small in particular when the hotel is full. The beach in front of the hotel is very nice, in comparison to the beach in front of the other hotels in the area. It could nevertheless by cleaned by personnel more attentively, in a manner of daily routine.

Overall not a very good experience, we were glad to leave the hotel during departure. Never again.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member emmaejr

Stayed for 9 nights at this hotel in the first week of June 06. The weather was great, just a few downpours every few days but they never lasted more than 30 mins.
The food here was great too - especially the steak in the Chicago grill. It was expensive (£40 for two with no wine or starters/puds) but since it was probably the best steak I have ever eaten I was more than happy to pay.
I would also recommend the breakfast, although wait until you get out there to buy it as it is cheaper than pre-ordering in the UK.
Town is much cheaper for food. Get a tuk-tuk to the Hilton Hotel (about £1) to be right in the thick town. The night market is great too all-be-it in a different area of the town.
Drinks are quite expensive in the hotel £4 for a beer or shot and mixer and wine was anything from £30 a bottle upwards. Alcohol was also expensive in the town.
All in all though I had a great stay - the beach and pool had great sun loungers on them and we always found a few free to spread out over. The rooms are really nice, quite dark but I think that just adds to the character.
Don't foget your mozzie spray and have a great time, I know I did!

Not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member cmf99

We stayed at Teh Marriott for five nights in June. We were attracted mainly by its central position in Hua Hin. While the hotel does occupy one of the best locations in Hua Hin, it is still a good way from the main night market, the restaurants around the fishing piers and the train and bus staions. While you can just about walk to these attractions, the heat and the traffice make it much more attractive and likely that you will use taxis and tuk tuks for getting around. With this in mind it is probably better to stay at one of the the resorts further south along teh Ao Tokiab beach which offer similar standards to the Marriot but at considerably lower prices. While the room rates at the Marriot are not excessive (in the off season at least), the prices of everything else at the hotel is extortionate. A beer which costs 15 baht in a neighbouring cafe and 50 baht in a downtown restaurant costs 120 baht in the Marriot mini bar. As my daughter pointed out , one evening the four of us ate a good meal at the fishing pier for the price of two Snickers and a Pepsi from the Marriot mini bar.
The rooms are relatively large and tastefully furnished and the gardens and grounds are very nicely maintained. The reception area is very impressive.The pool is OK but a bit on the small side when the hotel is fully occupied. This is a bit of a shame because even thoughthe Marriot has probably the best stretch of beach in Hua hin, the beach itself is pretty mediocre for Thailand.If the beach was anywhere in say Europe it would be considered great, but compared to the beaches in Krabi and Phuket the one in Hua Hin is very modest indeed. The water is not very clear, snorkelling is not worth the effort, and the beach sellers are pretty aggressive Add to this the presence of a few dozen horses and a few dozen more stray dogs. The sea is also infested with jelly fish of various sizes and varied harmfulness, so a good pool is essential.
I should also mention that the hotel has one public internet terminal for which they charge 100 baht for thirty minutes, and for the duration of my stay the atattched printer did not work.

Chris

Stockholm

Courtyard by Marriott Hua HinCourtyard by Marriott Hua Hin

hua hin marriott resort and spa

by pj2904

hi
i am thinking of going to hua hin in august could someone please let me know what this hotel is like and which is the best one to go to out of this one and the antara resort and spa
thanks jane

RE: hua hin marriott resort and spa

by johnaalex

I stayed at the Marriott last January. I stay at Marriotts quite often and thought this was a good one, but nothing special. The rooms were almost identical to the Marriott in Pattaya, not as good as the JW in Phuket. The location of the hotel is good, about 10 minutes walk from the centre of Hua Hin and right on the beach. There is no Executive Lounge (an important for frequent stayers like me who get these things free), but the breakfast buffet was very good. For the price paid I would give it 8 out of 10, the best bit being the area between beach and pool (very large and deep) that gives you the best of both worlds.

Regards

John

by stappm

lol... I was gonna say... This is a question for John! and there he was with an answer already!

M

by thisit811

To my opinion! Marriott Resort, Hua Hin is quite all right. If you're looking for a luxurious resort. I would recommend Hyatt Regency Resort, Hua Hin. Hyatt Resort is a duluxe beachfront resort, huge swimming pool with high sliding, spa club, great food and helpful staffs. The resort has shuttle bus to/from downtown every hour.
Enjoy your holiday.

by johnaalex

Come on Meredith, keep up ;-))

John