9/99 Moo 3 Tha Makham, Kanchanaburi, 71000, Thailand

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Kanchanaburi

Khao Laem Dam, LakeKhao Laem Dam, Lake

Pha Tad Waterfall in KanchanaburiPha Tad Waterfall in Kanchanaburi

The Bridge over the River Kwai & PoppiesThe Bridge over the River Kwai & Poppies

Khao Lam DamKhao Lam Dam

river kwai festival

by seoulgirl

Am I crazy to try to plan a four day stay during the river kwai festival? Starting 23 Nov. thru 27? Think I can find a place to stay and transport from BKK?

RE: river kwai festival

by Bangkokjoe

No you are not daft. It is quite a laugh.

Transport will be a doddle. The mid range hotels will book up fast with locals. I should think (a hunch not actual experience here) that the cheaper lodges down by the rivers should be okay.

You may want to check the top rated bloke's pages on Kanchinaburi and send him an email as he is well versed in Kanchinaburi. errr... Globetrotter? German guy. He's a good lad. Maybe send him an VTmail.

Hey Ian,

when I read that you mentioned the top ranked Kanchanaburi page I at first thought that you were talking about my page, but then I realized that the member you named was "globeTROTTER" (a Swedish guy that has not logged in for 6 years), and when I saw you called that Swede a "German guy" I was eventually absolutely sure that it wasn't me, because no-one would dare to call an Austrian to be a "German guy" - unless he wants to part with some of his teeth or wants to save money for a blue eye-makeup.

:-)

Please don't kill me!

by Bangkokjoe

Here hang on.... I whacked a supplementary mail on saying your name was Leo and Glbioerover and Austrian already. SERIOUS I DID. AS I checked the KB page of yours and thought oh my word he'll slaughter me calling him German.

Honest. (I got an email from Kiwi Pam in the middle so maybe I didn't hit send before replying to her). Sorry guv.

allright - apology accepted

So, for the moment you are safe as I stopped sharpening my knife and put it back into the kitchen drawer (Mrs Globerover will use it to cut bacon instead)

by Bangkokjoe

as long as she doesn't feed the "bacon" to the ducks through the floorboards.

by globerover

hey, be careful ... don't start again!

My missus feeds ME! Do you call me a "duck"? The knife is still within reach!!

Here Leo...

WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION... will the hotels be full or not?

> WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION
> ... will the hotels be full or not?

nice effort to change the really urgent topic of ducks and Germans!

I don't know about the hotels during the River Kwai Festival. We have once been there during the festival a few years ago, but only on a day visit, and had to leave before they really started with fireworks and all that stuff. The place was very crowded, so I assume that the hotels were rather full, too. It is probably best to book a hotel in advance.

Travel Tips for Kanchanaburi

Fun Kids

by herzog63

These 3 guys were so fun to watch as they all were trying to get on the bike and ride away but the bike was too big for them. It took them several tries to get up to speed without just falling over. If you learn a few fun phrases of Thai it will make experiences like this very special!!

"Home" just for you...Tigers.

by YaaDong

Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno Forest Monastary is better known to westerners as the "Tiger Temple".We hire a van and driver to take us to Kanchanaburi for a tour of the bridge,cemetery,lunch and then on to the monastary.
To view the tigers you have to get here after 1 pm .We gave a donation of 300 baht each at the main gate before entering .This money goes to feeding all the animals in the monastary.
To see the tigers you have abit of a hike to the "Tiger Cayon". We saw about 12 tigers most of them were asleep or just laying around mostly because of the intense heat .We were all individually led one by one by the staff to sit and take pictures with the tigers .My young niece actually sat on one with no fear.They seemed very tame however don't be fooled. I saw one jump up and had a go at the Luang Por (head monk) who had to push him away with force.This fellow was then taken to the back and chained up.
One of the young American staff then showed us around the monastary .We saw a leopard , tigers and a cub that she said was too dangerous to be let out.She said 'they don't get on well with people" and that cub had already bitten two workers that day.
In the monastary there are also ponies ,goats,wild pigs,peacocks,chickens and cows to be seen.

Not exactly a restaurant

by seoulgirl about Street food

Bugs are commonly sold on the streets of Bangkok or at a food stall here in Kanchanaburi. We tried them in Bangkok. They took the stinger off the scorpion and then sprayed it with some flavoring. It wasn't bad tasting at all but left a mess of shells in your mouth that I didn't want to swallow. Like a mouth full of sunflower seed shells. The grasshopper was better. I prefer smaller insects without as much shell.

Erawan waterfall

by s3rina

The 7- tiered Erawan waterfall, widely regarded as being one of Thailand's loveliest cascades. It was an easy climb for me. Probably take around an hour or so to reach the top. It wasn't that specacular at the top in late May. Ain't that sure if its the right month to view it in full volume.

Kanchanaburi War Cemetery

by genie47

As usual, for convenience, book a packaged tour with at least 1 night accomodation in this area. Pickup from Bangkok at 0600-0700 onwards but they might rush you as arrival to the cemetery is around 0900-1100 prior to bringing you to other attractions or your accomodations.

Observe silence. Don't step on or over the head stones. Take plenty of pictures. Tell your children and your grandchildren. Heroes are those that never made it back home.

Comments