Nonthaburi is over 400 years old, dating back to when Ayutthaya was the capital. The town was originally located at Tambon Ban Talat Khwan, a famous fruit orchard where the Chao Phraya River and various canals pass through.
King Prasat Thong ordered the digging of a canal as a shortcut from the south of Wat Thai Muang to Wat Khema because the old waterway flowed into Om River to Bang Yai then to Bang Kruai Canal next to Wat Chalo before ending in front of Wat Khema.
After the new shortcut was completed, the Chao Phraya River changed its flow into the new route that remains today. In 1665, King Narai the Great noticed that the new route gave enemies too much proximity to the capital. Therefore, he ordered that a fortress be built at the mouth of Om River and relocated Nonthaburi to this area. A city shrine still stands there.
Later during the reign of King Rama IV of the Rattanakosin period, he ordered the town moved to the mouth of Bang Su Canal in Ban Talat Khwan. King Rama V then had the provincial hall built there on the left bank of the Chao Phraya River. In 1928, the hall was moved to Ratchawitthayalai, Ban Bang Khwan, Tambon Bang Tanao Si. It is now the Training Division of the Ministry of Interior on Pracha Rat 1 Road, Amphoe Muang, on the bank of the Chao Phraya River. The building is of European architecture decorated with patterned woodwork. The Fine Arts Department has registered it as an historical site. The provincial hall is now on Rattanathibet Road.
"Ko Kret or Kret island"
Ko Kret or Kret island in the Chao Phraya River was created from the digging of a canal around a cape of the Chao Phraya River. In 1722, during the reign of King Thaisa of Ayutthaya, the island was called Khlong Lat Kret Noi which means a shortcut to Kret canal. Later, the current diverted, making the canal larger and turning the cape there into an island.
Ko Kret has prospered since the Ayutthaya period as evident from the many temples on the island that are from that period. However, it may have been deserted when the Burmese sacked Ayutthaya. When Ayutthaya was reclaimed, King Taksin the Great relocated the Mon people who found religion here. The Mon people on the island came during the Thon Buri period and during the reign of King Rama II.
"Wat Poramai Yikawat or Wat Pak Ao"
Wat Poramai Yikawat or Wat Pak Ao has many interesting things to see. There is a small castle with a five-tiered roof at the temples landing. It used to house a Mon coffin of a former abbot.