PhuNaCome Resort

templetemple

Travel Tips for Loei

Chiang Khan

by Bobbee5

Chiang Khan is the most Northerly town in the Loei Province. Smallish town, no major hotels but there a a number of guesthouse. 4km East of Chiang Khan is a place called Kang Khut Khu or Kaeng Kood Koo - I have seen three differant ways of spelling this name.

It is best described a a little resort area. It is situated on the bend of the Mekong Rivernear to the Khut Khu rapids. There are the normal souvenier shops around, some items pricey others good value. There is also a good restuarent where one can sit overlooking the Mekong and while away the afternoon with a good meal. This is a Thai restuarant so dont expect any other type of food. This is a popular place for the locals and I have seen many Thai families enjoying themselves here. You can also get a boat trip along the Mekong but as of yet have been unable to find out the times that they go.

The food I found was delicious, and from what I can gather one of the specialities is the Platefuls of 'jumping shrimp' marinated in Thai herbs and spices. Trouble is the little blighters jump everywhere to try and get out of the marinade. Large bottle of Leo was 50 baht but did not take note of any other prices. Enough to say that a meal for 12 of us including drinks came to less than 1000 Baht.

I shall definitely be going back there again.

Phu Kradeung in Loei

by gwen_tifa

"My reason to come to Loei"

Thanks to my thai friends that i got to know about this lovely place.

More sources of information about Phu Kradeung can be found here:

Most of my information should fall under tips but to me it makes more sense putting all these together rather than clicking on every tip and consolidating them together.

I shall be sharing about my trekking venture in my travelogues.

In total, I had spent about 3 days in this province. Like most VTers who recommended Phu Kradeung, this is definitely the place for novice trekkers, or even family to get-together for a break. I am truly amazed by the elderly and the children who made it up to Phu Kradeung.

I know little about Loei itself - but it seems like the other VTers have quite a handful of information if you are planning to stay and travel within Loei.

The bulk of this covers Phu Kradeung - my reason for coming to Loei.

"Getting to Loei from Bangkok"

If you intend to climb any of the Phu ("hills) of Loei - it's good to check out the accomodation, transport, etc in advance (it's no rocket science theory anyway, you SHOULD always plan your trip ahead anyway).

If you are a tourist, do check how much you have to pay for the entrance fee as well. I was lucky being an Asian (and looking like one of the Thais) to get to pay the local fare. According to rumours, tourists would have to pay 400 baht for the entrance fee, while the locals just need to pay 40 baht (correct me if I am wrong). Phew!

My Thai friends had booked a bungalow at least a month in advance.(sounds like fantastic, wait till you see it yourself). Bus tickets between Bkk to Loei terminal costs about 400 baht each way for an 8 hour journey. Bus leaves from the northern bus terminal in the new Mochit. I had taken a night bus so I get to rest for the night. You have to take a songtheaw to get from the Loei terminal to the base of Phu Kradeung (20 baht). Ride to the base takes about 10-15 mins.

What to bring:
- CASH is king! (the price of items is proportionately related to the height of the hill), so please strapped adequately - I wouldn't think currencies other than Thai Baht will be accepted. With cash, you are able to purchase most of things as you go up or when you are up at Phu Kradeung. I am sure you don't want to be stranded without anything.
- Flashlight (lights off at 10pm), particulary if you stay in a tent. Kerosene lamps are available for sale on the top.
- Plastic bags (practise responsible eco-tourism by keeping your litter until you spot a bin)
- warm clothes (it's cold in the night and up there). Temperatures range between 15 - 20++ degrees celcius.
- thick long socks (leeches are rampant during rainy seasons), bring some salt just in case. Maybe a lighter too.
- you have many technology gadgets (your DSLR, phone, radio etc), please bring your multi-plugs and adapters. Otherwise, please bring plentiful supply of batteries if you wish to capture those beautiful memories.

Most importantly - travel light but travel smart.

Perhaps it would also be intersting to drop some hints abou the restrooms:
- There are no showers like those of the western toilets. Basically you have a pail of water and you start scooping water from it and splash them over your body. Water all runs from taps.
- Water is refreshingly cold (Game for morning baths?)
- If you stay in bungalows, you might want to check for see-through holes on the walls, you don't want to be "visually raped".
- You have to manually flush your toilet bowls.

Perhaps civilization was not a bad thing afterall - particulary for city pumpkins like me.

Not to worry, these facilities only happen if you stay in Phu Kradeung. Facilities operate as per normal at the base and in Loei (maybe or maybe not).

Once in a life time.

by nanasha

"The second day of the trip."

Around 7.30 in the morning. We were starting to climb up to the top of the mountain. This is the third scenic view point , it's called

"The second day of the trip."

This cornor is the most popular for travellers. He always takes some picture this area. It's called "Pha Lom Suk"

My new friend and I. ------ *- *

"The last day of the trip."

On the way when we were going down the the buttom.
So... tried. But we spent less time than the way up.

"The last day of the trip."

Wow.. We made it... Yaaahoooooo!!!!

Actually, we have to take a picture this cornor before go up to the hill.
Because it said "You have to visit here for once in a life time."

"Preparing to went home...*-*"

We got some certificate which we had to kept some trash all the way when we were there. If it's weigh up to 3 kgs, we would get it.

It's seem like they want everyone to keep the Phu Kradueng clean.

Comments