3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

shopshop

MuseumMuseum

Gym at BB ResortGym at BB Resort

Room at the Englishman's RetreatRoom at the Englishman's Retreat

Any recommendations for budget to mid-priced accomodations for Udon Thani?

by seagypsy

I'm seeking a clean place with either Fan or AC and cable TV would also be a plus. Am also seeking accomodations centrally located not too far from the Udon Bus Station or also near the Train Station. Thanks!

Re: Any recommendations for budget to mid-priced accomodations for Udon Thani?

by Teetie

I know 2 hotels.
Ban Chiang Hotel
Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel

getting here from Vientiane

by ellielou

For some strange reason, I'm able to find into from UT to VTE, but not the other way around. Is anyone able to enlighten me about the most efficient, least expensive way to get here?

(If some context helps, I'm just going to UT to grab a cheap flgt out on Tiger Air, which leaves at 9am....I assume I need to stay overnight in UT, so any ideas where to stay & when is latest I can leave VTE?)

thanks!

RE: getting here from Vientiane

by pattayaraj

Hi there!

There's direct bus between VTE and UT. The bus timetable I got : 7.30 AM,9.30 AM,3.00 PM and 5.00 PM. But it might change,so please recheck at VTE Bus Terminal.Fare is about 80 THB. And bus 'll stop at UT Old Bus Terminal where located in the center of town.

For accommodation in UT, please check these out for more information :

I used to stay at Charoensri Grand hotel,it's good but expensive. Ton Koon hotel and NB hotel 're also good with average price.

Happy travels!!
Patt

Perfect, Patt! Thanks!

by pattayaraj

You're welcome. : ))

Patt

RE: getting here from Vientiane

by AlbuqRay

Ellen, I did not go to Vientiane, so I cannot help you there but you have already gotten good advice. My Udon tips talk about the Charoen Hotel where I stayed in 2004. It used to be the best hotel in town. It had gotten a little age on it but was perfectly adequate for 660 baht. The Mayfair Hotel is connected but separate; it is newer and nicer than the Charoen. The Charoen Hotel is different from the Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel.

by ellielou

Thanks Ray! No real plans to do anything there other than maybe have a good dinner, and find a room with satellite TV, and make sure I'm up early for my flight!

by AlbuqRay

Ellen, you can get the good dinner you want at the Charoen Hotel but I would be surprised if they have satellite TV. If you take the bus to Udon, the Charoen is just two blocks from the bus station. Could have walked there if I had known, but got a dishonest samlor driver who "misunderstood" which hotel to go to twice! He charged only 60 baht, so no big thing.

by ellielou

A dishonest driver taking advantage of a traveler? Say it ain't so! ;-) And, thanks for the tip!

Budget Hotels

by MagePrincess

Are there any budget hotels in Udon Thani town? Say about 500-700 baht?
As long as rooms are clean and have an attached bathroom. It would be good if night market is within walking distance.

by jrs1234

Hi -

there are quite a few places to stay in Udon Thani - it's been a while since I was there though (I stayed at the Queen Hotel and quickly moved out - it was terrible). The Charoensri Grand Royal Hotel (where I moved to) is nice but probably more than you want to pay. A quick scout around the internet found this:

and this:

both of which might fit the bill for you. Also there's a good map of Udon Thani here, if you need one:

Hope this is useful...

Cheers,

Jeremy

by jamiesamui

Hello

I stayed at the Charoen Hotel in Phosri road in `04.It`s probably more than you want to pay but it`s more than ok.

Jamie

by AlbuqRay

Sharon, I would also recommend the Charoen Hotel. It was once the nicest hotel in Udon. It has gotten a little older but is still a nice place to stay. In 2004, the rate was 660 baht plus optional breakfast buffet for another 100 baht. Breakfast was quite good and worth the extra cost. The more expensive Mayfair Hotel shares the same grounds and breakfast was there. Both are very near the bus station. You may want to take a look at my Udon tips for a little more information.

by MagePrincess

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the info and the weblinks. They were very useful.

Sharon

by desadd

Hi, There are plenty of budget hotels in Udon. The best I would say is The Top Mansion Hotel. Only 350 Baht per night. My wife and I tried several but they were not up to our standard. We looked at various out of town, including Englishman`s Retreat. Besides looking like a small Alcatraz, it was much too far away from the town. Miles away in fact. The cost of transport to and from town would be more than the cost of the room. We also checked out the B and B Resort which is in the same area. That was much better and they will do a deal on the room price. But, as far as Udon Thani goes, the town has nothing whatsoever to offer foreign tourists. If you like shopping malls then there is a Robinson Mall there but that is about all. The bars are a waste of time and the market is rubbish too.

Travel Tips for Udon Thani

Best location to be for retire............

by goodplace

"everyman's heaven if you know what I mean........."

Load of young ladies but, do not trust them until you know the whole family and take all the time you need to know a person well, just like back in UK, never offer them money or commited your self,,, never look for a girl in a BAR very bad choice.

Udon Thani

by jamiesamui

"The people poor but yet so rich"

Udon Thani is 562kms N/E of Bangkok situated in the Isaan region of Thailand.
In January `04 I spent 2 weeks in the Udon Thani area living with a Thai family in their village.

The nearest amphur to the village is a place called Kut Chap which is 30kms outside of Udon Thani & then the village was a further 30kms from there & I can tell you if something would have happened to me a search party would have been flat out finding me.

Udon Thani is not really a tourist destination as in the fact that very little is written in english outside of the major companies EG motorcycle dealerships,and the major department stores & supermarkets,so unless you can speak or read thai fairly well or you have a thai partner you are going to have some level of difficulty.

I didn`t really get to see many of the tourist attractions due to the remotness of the village I was staying.
Life in a rural Thai village is certainly something I will remember for the rest of my life,just observing how these people eek out a living,from their work ethic to their customs made this a truly amazing experience.

I stayed with my (now ex)girlfriends family and these people and their neighbours made me feel so very welcome and in fact they couldn`t do enough for me and it was very touching to see how these people accepted a "farang"but having said that it was a novelty for some of the neighbours & anybody who passed by while I was out the front of the house.

The family house was surprisingly modern & western to some of the others in the village & surrounding areas & actually wouldn`t take that much to make it liveable for a farang.

This was one experience that I will never forget.(see travelogue for pic`s)

Comments