Udon Thani Hotels

Our Members Say

• Cathy&Gary profile photo Cathy&Gary
  • Reviews: 802

Irish Clock Pub Guest House: Irish Clock Pub Guest House

What a fantastic place to stay, there are only 7 rooms above the pub and they are huge and very comfortably set out. The rooms facing the street are nicely decorated and have a lovely comfortable chair with a footstool, the bed is like sleeping in luxury, there is plenty of storage for suitcases etc and the bathroom is also very big. We did not have a problem with noise here and loved the big balcony.

About the only thing that could be done to make these rooms even better is a plastic table and chairs on the balcony. We also stayed one night in one of the back rooms, they are slightly smaller (but still big) with a huge balcony area, absolutely no noise in this room, but we much preferred the rooms facing the street.

The pub area is just perfect with some of the best meals we have had in Thailand, we were also amazed at the size and prices of the meals. The breakfast in the photo below is their small English breakfast and the price is 130baht, the big breakfast is 180baht! There is absolutely nothing we can say that is bad about this place, we loved it there.

Location is perfect; staff are excellent, and room’s are fantastic value with free wifi. We stay here whenever we visit Udon Thani and highly recommend the Irish Clock.

The new owners Fred and Som are lovely, very friendly and extremely quick to respond to emails.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Museum Visits, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written November 23, 2011

Irish Clock Udon Thani

• VinceMunday profile photo VinceMunday

N.B. Residence - Udon Thani: Best value in Udon Thani

We have stayed at many of the bigger hotels in Udon Thani and this one ranks among the better ones. We stayed there Jan 2010 and found the rooms to be quite basic but very clean, tidy and suitable for most types of traveller. The rooms could do with some additions such as a safe, i hate having to go to reception to store valuables. At 650 baht a night including a rather well cooked breakfast for 2 i can guarantee you won't find better value. The staff at the NB are exceptionally helpful and it should be noted that collection to and from the airport only cost us 100 baht!

• Written January 28, 2010

• BrianCelmslie profile photo BrianCelmslie

Englishman's Retreat: Udon's best retreat

I actually stayed here on the recommendation of another VT reviewer (bpwarne). I had an AC room for just $12, it was pool side, you literally step out onto the pool terrace, it's a very unique design, and is surrounded by a 2m castle wall, the entrance is locked and only accecable using a key code provided on check-in. You're a little out of town, but that's the beauty of the place, for those that have been to UT before, the centre seems to be getting more and more wild, many of the hotels suffer with noise pollution, so if you're not into the girly-bar scene, then a retreat away from it all sort of makes sense. I stayed at this place for a whole month. My room was cleaned spotlessly each day, I also ate there 2, sometimes 3 times a day, every meal was lovely and excellent value. My wife seemed more relaxed at this place than any other, all the staff was very warm to her that she didn't want to leave (I mean on a daily basis). It was lovely to see them all being so polite and warm-hearted. The pool is lovely and very unusual to see in this price range, plus a gymnasium with lots of equipment. They also rent motorbikes for 150bt a day, so we could really explore the backroads of Thailand. Another handy thing is the 9 hole golf course a few minutes away.

Pool, Gym, Restaurant

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel, Golf
  • Written November 17, 2009

Bedroom

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

BB Resort: Get away from it all, in the city

I stayed at this hotel in April 2008. I paid about $20 USD total. My suite had a sitting room w/TV, many English speaking channels,fan, A/C in bedroom only, fully equipped kitchen with large fridge w/huge, reasonably priced honor bar, bath w/shower. Suite was clean, furnishings were a bit on the older/funky side. This place has a very nice quiet, rather secluded feel to it. The large, well equipped A/C gym was great, as was the huge swimming pool. On site restaurant had a surprisingly large menu, was very reasonably priced and the food was very good.

High speed wireless internet available in rooms, good if you have a laptop, I did not but they let me use the PC in their officeas needed, no charge.

Best feature is the enormous swimming pool with very nicely landscaped surroundings and covered patio w/fans. There is also a gym room, tennis court, outdoor bar/restaurant on premises.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 28, 2008

Office, restaurant/ bar area of BB Resort

• bpwarne profile photo bpwarne
  • Reviews: 332

The Englishman's Retreat: Out of the way yet near everything

I stayed at this Guest house in April, 2008. I paid about $11 USD total/night for a room with a fan. Breakfast is available but not included in room price. This place is fairly new, having opened in late 2007. My room was spotlessly clean, nicely furnished, and had a small TV, a fridge w/very reasonably priced honor bar, fan, but unfortunately, no A/C. Most of the rooms do have A/C, but none were available during my stay.
Owned and operated by Glyn and Ornuma, an English expat and his Thai national wife. This place has a very private feel about it. Menu includes some English as well as Thai dishes, reasonably priced and very good.

Swimming pool, great Fitness/Gym room, Bar/Restaurant, Pool Table. Located in a quiet residential area. Retreat is not large, only has 9 rooms.

• Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written June 26, 2008

Room at the Englishman's Retreat

• pattayaraj profile photo pattayaraj
  • Reviews: 1086

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Silver Reef Hotel: Beside the Bus Terminal

I stayed there for 2 nights. The room 's very neat and clean. They offer 2 kinds of room: Twin room for 850 THB and Double room for 750 THB. All rooms come with TV and & Local Cable ,fridge ,Air-condition, hot and cold shower Bath and also colourful decoration.

New hotel with 20 rooms located in the downtown area. It's just beside the bus terminal.
Services: Wireless internet, car & motorcycle rental service and parking area.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written June 11, 2008

Hotel

• parryg profile photo parryg

The Englishman's Retreat: Best bargain hotel in Udon Thani

Hi, me and wife stayed here for the last 3 weeks, and found it to be the total package. From the moment they picked us up at the airport (for free). The room was lovely, albeit a little small, there was plenty of drawers and cupboards (which find rare). The minibar was so cheap I actually drank from it. In fact everything was so inexpensive, and food was always prepared beautifully, I ate their full english breakfast every morning and sampled all other things on the menu throughout our stay, everything came promptly, hot and well portioned.

Ornuma, the owner speaks excellent english, and was always helpful.

Everything was so clean and new.

For 400bt a night where else do you get a pool, a gym, and a free snooker-table

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written February 13, 2008
Tip Photo

• stoneblack profile photo stoneblack

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

the irish clock hotel: udon thanis best budget accomodation

THE IRISH CLOCK HOTEL..If you want a reasonably priced, clean, friendly hotel/inn/bed and breakfast in Udon Thani, then this is the place. This was my first visit to udon thani. Various websites had given mixed or poor recommendations on most of the local hotels but i found one traveller who had recommended this hotel. Its a 7 bedroom hotel with an irish bar theme. Steve (an englishman) is the proprieter/owner with his thai wife.
The hotel is a very short walk to the big Charoensri shopping complex and is the ideal place to use as a base for your stay in this area of Thailand. The rooms were large and very clean. Showers and toilets were of good western standard and the english and thai foods available were top of the line. Filet minion for 250 baht...cooked to perfection, with veges, potatoes and a mushroom sauce to die for was my idea of good value. Plenty of western spirits/beers and a great friendly atmosphere. It seems most of the staff are related and nothing was too much bother. As I am from New Zealand, I was very happy to pay approx NZ$36 per night each for 2 rooms. My 2 young teenagers slept in a seperate self contained room and felt quite safe at night. This was very important. I had a look at the big Charoensi Grand Royal Hotel while in udon. It looks quite dated and needs a good redecoration inside. Mould on the foyer ceilings, carpets getting threadbare, and a generally depressing feel about the place. I would not recommend this so called, top class udon thani hotel. Give me the Irish Clock anyday. I hope this is of benefit to anyone not sure of udon accomodation. I also checked out the UDON Hotel....What a depressing rundown place that also is. No restuarant operating and a feeling of despair permeated the place. The spa was OK but as a place to stay??? NO WAY.

Food 10 out of 10. Staff 10 out of 10. close to shopping, tuk tuks and low priced massage places.

• Written November 27, 2007

• avemario profile photo avemario

Ton Koon Hotel: Good Udonthani Hotel

Was there last Nov 06, and Apr 07.
Would recommend this place to anyone.
Is very clean, staff are very helpful(they speak limited English)
Shower water is hot - breakfast is well worth eating - TV works well on all channels - hassle free and very courteous.
Probably not so well located for those who want to mix with fellow tourists, but if you want to get in with the Thai people, this is the place!

No pool (but who cares!) See above.
There is a very good outdoor restaurant about another 100 metres north up the road which has really good atmosphere and seafood.
Is located very close (about a Km) from the main City Park, which is very good for walking.

• Related to: Trains, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written May 27, 2007

• goodplace profile photo goodplace
  • Reviews: 3

Silver Reef Udon: Best Location

I come to Udon Thani 4-5 times per year to look for a wife, I will retire soon.
Most of my friends do the same but they seem to have luck with the lady. Oh well, just have to keep looking.......... more of the story I am very happy to stay at Silver Reef B&B everytimes I am in Udon Thani, this is my forth times here for 3 weeks with Tiffany & Tony they are very nice people......... Cheers from U.K.

A very colorfull building behide Bus Station and 5 min walk to Robinson Shopping.

• Related to: Gay and Lesbian, Seniors, Budget Travel
  • Written April 10, 2007

• LuciaBilanci profile photo LuciaBilanci
  • Reviews: 4

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Charoensi Grand Royal: Best hotel

This is not a very good hotel but is the best in town. Room are little and jaded. It's better to reserve in advance because is a favourite for parties and convenction.
Service is poor, breackfast is average.
This hotel is good only for them that have a private car and for few days (for instance if you have to catch a fly in the nearby airport)

Best hotel in town

• Related to: Historical Travel, National/State Park
  • Written December 12, 2006

• friendphil profile photo friendphil
  • Reviews: 2

N.B. Residence: N.B. Residence Hotel offers economy and quality

This hotel offers clean and modern rooms, good service, very good rates. It's breakfast is adequate, though not the best hotel breakfast I've had in Udon Thani (Napali Hotel was excellent, Ban Chiang Hotel was also good). Location is "off-center", and it depends on where one goes often whether it's good or not. It's on a bus route that has a lower frequency of busses thane other bus routes, but it's not far to take a tuk-tuk to better bus service or to the central parts of town.
I am typing this on my laptop, which I can use on a wireless network in the hotel lobby, or from a modem (which they probide) in my room. That's a feature that persuaded me to stay here again. They recently upgraded their cable/satellite TV service, and get "lots" of channels, including HBO movies in English with Thai subtitles. Currently am paying about 400 baht a day for double occupancy and breakfast for two people, which is the monthly rate. Daily rate is 1 1/2 times higher.

internet access from lobby (wireless) or room (lan),

N.B. Residence: N.B. Residence Hotel offers economy and quality

internet access from lobby (wireless) or room (lan),

• Related to: Archeology, Religious Travel, Business Travel
  • Written March 17, 2006

• largerama profile photo largerama
  • Reviews: 190

Irish Clock: New, excellent accomodation in Udon Thani

Before entering Laos, my partner and I were going to spending a night in Udon Thani. Having looked for accomodation on the Net, we found there wasn't very much on offer but then we came across this place and what a find it was.

Tom, the Liverpudlian owner, welcomed us like long lost friends and he along with all the staff made us feel at home throughout our stay.

The rooms looked good on the Internet but they do not reflect what we actually found on arrival. Massive rooms with all new decorations and furnishings. Everything looks brand new and probably isn't far off as they have only been open for 8 months. Room designs are modern and make the place feel very luxurious. Plus the bed was so comfy.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, because it was the weekend, we stayed for a couple of nights longer as we could savour a cool Guiness and watch some sport on a night while enjoying the luxurious surroundings. Day times we spent looking round the nearby shops and in the cinema. So nice to do quite western things for the first time in ages.

We wish all accomodation could be as nice.

Brand new, gorgeous rooms with excellent decorations and furnishings. Huge showers to die for.

21inch tv in all rooms with every satellite channel you can think of.

Full cooked, English breakfast included in room price that you can have brought to your room, to eat inside or on the balcony or eat downstairs in the pub/restaurant.

Good Guinness and other beers plus food downstairs in the bar.

Very close to central shopping area and Night Markets for great, cheap local food and drink

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written March 7, 2006

Irish Clock from the outside

• Hewer profile photo Hewer
  • Reviews: 390

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Aussie Pub Guest House: Someone's spare room?

It's a fairly informal set-up at this hotel. I booked ahead over the net and had somebody meet me in the reception area. I was shown to my room - clean and spacious with Cable TV, mini-bar and room service, as well as private facilities. In fact when you open the front door to the room, you're standing in the shower. Made it easier on the carpenters, I was told.

From that point onward, I never saw anyone in reception again. In fact I had to knock on the manager's door when I checked out to hand the keys in (it's a husband and wife team living on the second floor).

I thought it was pretty good and I'd stay there again if I was in town. Just make sure you arrange how you are going to get in if you come home late (i.e. after 1am).

It costs 400 baht per night, which is pretty good for what you get.

• Written January 1, 2006