Sleep Inn Airport Udon Thani

Swimming pool at BB ResortSwimming pool at BB Resort

Udon Thani

by eagle05

Hi,
I am intending to visit Udon Thani at th end of June. Is there any local who would be bale to give some advice on a/accomodation/ travelling/ sightseeing in and around that area.
I am quite interested in people/culture not the typical tourist stuff.
Many thanks in davance

by thekeys

Udo thani is not a real tourist area . i went there last year and enjoyed it very much. There are little pocket of touristy areas and bars. Try Mr tongs bar and the area known locally as the cattle sheds. we stopped at the irish bar which was very nice but at 850 bhts a night turned out to be expensive in local turns. A good hotel should be around 350 bhts a night. There is a lovely park there with restuants around the lake, but unfortunately i can not remember its name. Would def go back there again

by jojes

We've spent 5 days in the I-san area in 2005.
We had a car with driver for 4 days. Can't really re;ember his name right now, but I'll look it up for you.
With him we went to several temples, most of them which he hadn't even visited himself.
I'll look up the details and post them on my pages or mail them to you.

the area is really nice. Beautiful nature, nice and friendly people, ...
Be sure to go to the Laos border (formed by the Mekong river), that is a truly magnificent landscape !

Jessika

by jojes

OK, these are the hotels we've been to in I-san :

*Nong Khai - Nong Khai Grand hotel - 589 Moo 5, Nongkhai-Poanpisai Road, Muang
*Nakhon Phanom - River View Hotel - 9 Nakhonphanom-Thatphanom Road, Muang
*Khon Kaen - Charoen Thani Princess - 260 Srichan Rd. - Muang
*Loei - Loei Palace hotel - Loei-Naduang Road, Kudpong, Muang

I know they're not in Udon Thani, but still ... hope it helps.
I'll e-mail you a file that I found somewhere with things to visit in I-san.

Hope it helps in your planning ... !
Jessika

by oignace

Feel free to ask me what you like to know.
I live since 2008 in Udon Thani.
First visit to Asia and I am still here.
You can write in German.

Travel Tips for Udon Thani

Make Merit for Songkran

by AlbuqRay

This little shrine with a Buddha was set up on the front desk of the Charoen Hotel for Songkran (Thai New Year). You could make merit by dipping water and pouring it over the Buddha statue. I had already gotten splashed and powdered in Ban Chiang.

World's Most Elaborate Truck Stop

by Hewer

I visited Udon Thani for two days late in 2005. I was on my way from Bangkok to Laos and needed somewhere to rest up in between. This was my first trip to the north-east of Thailand, the wild west, frontier country and so on. It wasn't quite like that, but I can see where the stories come from.

There are mixed reports on Udon Thani if you do a search on the net. According to some information, you get the impression that this is a small country town with a few farming families and a dozen or so hardened ex-pats. Elsewhere it's the opposite. I read one person's claim that Udon Thani is massive, outstripping nearby Vientiane in size and a source of surprise to many an intrepid traveller expecting the former. Both reports are actually true. According to World Gazetteer, a German-based statistical bureau, the population of Udon Thani at the start of 2006 was 251,000. This ranks the city second in Thailand, just ahead of Chon Buri, Hat Yai and Korat. Vientiane comes in at a shade over 200,000. Having been to all of those cities (except Korat), I would have guessed Udon Thani to be the smallest. Tree-lined suburban streets, unhurried locals and - save for a handful of intersections - comparatively empty streets tell the story. I guess perceptions are deceiving.

"A few local characters"

A strange thing happened while I was at Udon Thani Bus Terminal. I wandered over the road to the soft drink stand, bought a pepsi and sat out front and looked over some of my photos. A man (pictured here) approached and asked me if I wanted a picture. I thanked him but said that no, I was fine. That's not what he meant however. He wanted me to take a picture of him. I did so and showed him. He then called all of his mates over and I started doing the same. Needless to say, they were very interested in that camera.

I also found that while I walked around the shopping areas and through the markets, people smiled, nodded or waved in greeting. Not everyone of course, but enough to make it noticeable. The other surprising thing was that nobody made any particularly strong effort to help me part with my money. No touts, no hard selling, no pushy taxi drivers - I wondered what was going on. One thing I will never forget was when I was buying socks in the market. I bought five pairs and the woman took my money, gave me my change then said, "You buy five..take a discount", smiling as she handed over a few baht.

Whenever people write about just about any destination, they'll stress how great the people were (bla bla bla). In this case it really was true.

Comments