Chiang Khong Hotels

Our Members Say

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 2117

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Green Tree guesthouse.: Basic but charming.

found this place more or less by chance, having arrived after dark on the last bus from Lampang which is later than is suggested by the Lonely Planet guidebook (see seperate tip). Initially, I was attracted by the display of rather good photographs on display in the building which serves as bar / restaurant / reception / art gallery and so on. I ordered a beer from what turns out to be the photographer who runs the place with his Thai girlfriend and we got to talking. He was a very pleasant guy and we discussed photography and other things for a while. When he offered me a room, I readily agreed, although he warned me it was basic. At a ridiculously low price (less than £3 / ($5US) I wasn't worried.

I shall let the entry from my blog suffice. "Let me describe it. The building was stilted, with the room secured by a padlock which was slightly unecessary as it took an almighty heave to open the door or indeed close it from the inside. There were cracks in the floor you could have put a bicycle wheel down. There was one bare bulb which my ciagrette lighter outshone, a fan (unecessary as it wasn't that hot so far North) with no apparent electric source to plug it into, a balcony in imminent danger of collapse with a hammock that might just have accomodated one of the Seven Dwarfs and a door that didn't lock. The mosquito net looked like it had not moved for a decade. In short, it was perfect, I absolutely loved it. I adore staying in places like this. It is what I go travelling for. Had I not had to move, I would have happily stayed here for a week."

I really love places like this. In the morning, they also do a great packed lunch which you will need if you are getting straight on the slowboat South, as I was.

• Written January 28, 2010
Tip Photo

Green Tree guesthouse, Chiang Khong, Thailand.

• pesky_tourist profile photo pesky_tourist
  • Reviews: 26

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Boom Guest House: Great View!

Rates from Bt250-400. I opted for the expensive choice because of the location on the large deck facing the river. Nice, clean room with dbl and sgl beds, a/c (didn't need it!), hot water and cable tv. Didn't try the food so can't rate the restaurant.

Large, multi-level deck with great views of the Mekong and Laos.

• Written December 12, 2007

• shintarojon profile photo shintarojon
  • Reviews: 857

Chiang Khong Hotel: Chiang Khong Hotel

(last date visited - Dec. 13, 2004)

Room 103
Twin bed-room with TV
Toilet & Shower
Electric Fan
Room rate/hour - 200 ThB

time checked-in - 6:10 p.m.
time checked-out - 9:00 a.m. (next day)

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written June 5, 2006
Tip Photo

• wwroam profile photo wwroam
  • Reviews: 65

Don't know: By the River

Recognize the Guesthouse .Its where I spent Xmas evening 2002.Didn't think I'd ever wish I knew its name. We arrived from Chiang Rai, bringing rain,shown our rooms,cleaned up and settled in for a traditional Thai christmas dinner, Red duck curry,and a few extra courses.
Great meal, left the run of the fridge, honesty book prevailed,great night.
The lady who owned the place i recall having lived in the netherlands, and there were old photos of a giant fish or eel being landed. If you arrive to look this guesthouse over,I'd recommend you stay. Not a lot of amenities, but clean, comfortable, and welcomin.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written March 14, 2006

Our guesthouse

• neogary profile photo neogary
  • Reviews: 42

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Boom House: Along the Mekong

Was taken to this guesthouse by a Tuk Tuk, got to walk like 30m in from main road. Didnt think there was anybody else staying at our time of arrival, was really quiet, bathhrooms are shared.

Jogging track just behind the guesthouse, can see Laos clearly when its not too misty.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written December 27, 2005
Tip Photo

• kippygo profile photo kippygo
  • Reviews: 9

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SP Guesthouse

The accommodation was pretty average and defintely acceptable. If anything, the snoopy bedclothes and decor of what looked to be a Japanese pop star poster on the wall kept our spirits up!

Although we arrived late at the hostel, they prepared a meal for us. Internet was also available, though slow. They had a wide selection of DVDs/VCDs to watch on a TV in the outdoor seated area.

• Written August 28, 2004