45 Ratchamanka Soi 6, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Agoda.com Otel.com

More about Chiang Mai

Running wild in an open enclosureRunning wild in an open enclosure

WatWat

The custom buildingThe custom building

The Mhong'sThe Mhong's

21 Dec to 24 Dec Chaing Mai

by missbean

Hi Vters,

I am travelling free and easy to Chiang Mai along with 3 friends. I've browsed thru the travel guides and found some locations worth visiting.

1. Doi Suthep (The temple and waterfall)
2. Doi Inthanon National Park & Hill Tribes
3. Chiang Rai & Golden Triangle
4. Royal Flora Patchaphruek 2006 @Royal Agricultural Research Ctr

Here are my questions:
1. How do we get to Doi Suthep by Song Thaews? Tell them where we want to head or look for some colours on the car to indicate the direction? I'm probably staying @Suriwongse hotel. How long is the journey?

2. Any cheap and reliable tour agent to approach for the Doi Inthanon National Park and Chiang Rai Trip? I understand both trip will take 2 seperate days to complete. So we are deciding which one to go.

3. How do we get to Royal Agricultural Research Centre for the Flower Festival? How much is the admission fees?

Many thanks and I look forward in visiting Chiang Mai.

by Gillybob

Doi Suthep is easy by sawngthaew. Just pick one up on the streets and negotiate a fare. We hired one to take us up, then to Wat U Mong and finally to drop us back at Wat Phra Singh in Chiang Mai centre. This cost us 400 Baht between the two of us back in December 2003.

by Wann

Only few days you have in the north, my opinion, a must visit is Royal Flora Patchaphruek 2006. The expo is only 3 month, last until Jan 31, 2007. It’s the grandest flora expo of Thailand, other attractions you can visit anytime else. Go early, you must spend whole day there. It’s wide area, opens daily from 9am to 8pm. Weekend will be so crowded with Thai visitors.

There is a special Royal Flora Shuttle, which is free, picks up passengers at the downtown provincial office, 700-Year Stadium and the railway station. From Chiang Mai airport, there is regular airport express buses, which charge a small fare. I think some hotels may arrange the transfer for visitors which a small charge.

You can purchase the ticket online and look for info of the expo at this link;

Have a great time in Chiang Mai!

RE: RE: 21 Dec to 24 Dec Chaing Mai

by missbean

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the directory! Looks like I cannot miss

1. Doi Suthep
2. Royal Flora Patchaphruek

Between Doi Inthanon National Park and Chiang Rai tour..hmmmm which is the best option?

Thanks!

by global_rouz

Hi Anna, are u plan to go chiang mai, at 21 Dec'06? are u from S'por go to Chaing mai.self travel??? Havins a trip before at chiang mai? hope to keep in touch with you, i'm from M'sia. also will go to Chaing mai for trip. I will go there to meet my friend. If your also is self travelling, may be we can joy togather. I' will be there on 20 Dec'06 until 27 Dec'07. If u get to read my message, you direct reply me at lowlimei@hotmail.com (MSN) or mail me at global_rouz@yahoo.com.
Nice to meet you, "just call me li mei"

Regards,
Li Mei. from M'sia -> Penang.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Loi Krathong Festival Part II

by allthai

With the rainy season gone, the night sky is clear and coolness fills the air. On the night of Loy Krathong itself, the full moon sails over the horizon into a sky filled with light and sound, for the Lanna folk celebrate Loy Krathong in three dimensions. Giant hot air balloons, called Kome Loy, rise into the sky, their fires visible, like some galaxy of orange stars, into the far distance. Traditional rockets known as Bok Fai outdo the myriad of other fireworks crackling and popping everywhere in the crisp night air. And beneath this frenzy of noise and light, the gentle, quiet, and touching act of floating (loy) one's Krathong.

The traditional months of Lanna are different from the rest in Thailand, and Loy Krathong is always celebrated in Duan Yee - the second month - and the period of the festival is called Yee Peng. It is an important time with Krathong and a different Buddhist ceremony, called Tang Tham Luang, falling within this month. The decorations around houses and temples come alive during Yee Peng with the Kome paper lanterns glowing a host of bright colours. Walls surrounding compounds are decorated with the earthen lamps called Phang Patit. The number of these lamps must correspond with the total age of all family members combined, and their flickering yellow flames give warmth to the cool evening.

Continued in Part III

Market and Night Bazaar - cheap and good

by SumTingWong

In the Chiang Mai day market you can find anything, and I mean anything from old Burmese weapons to Thai silk for a cheap and fair price. Some of the best deals in Thailand come from the Chiang Mai day market and night bazaar. These places are HUGE (over five stories of market over several blocks) and complex. These markets are not just outdoor but deep indoor also. Everywhere you turn there are shops and stuff. These are the best deals and just going through the market is a maze and challenge. Anything from elecronics, to carvings, to silk, to knives, to chicken feet and satay. It's cheap

Hiring a driver

by PierreZA

I am usually quite apprehensive when approached by a driver offering services. While I visited a temple, I was approached by a local driver with his own vehicle. We planned a trip, decided on a price, and off we went.
It was an air conditioned car, and the driver at the same time acted as a guide. He spoke English very well, and was never pushy as to visit certain shops where he could get commission.
Another advantage is that you can stop long the road if you want, not being dependent on a group of fellow-tourists.

The answer is... Sticky Rice Stick

by vigi

OK, ladies and gentlement, let me present the Sticky Rice Stick!. It is wrapped in wood (or bamboo?) and steamed, with red bean inside, sweet in taste. Locals eat this as breakfast. One Bhat each. Well... I don't like ti very much, sort of funny taste, interesting to try out though.

Not just a market

by traceyspacey

Anusan Night Market is located near to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar. There are market stalls here, but the majority of tourist's and Thais come here for the food. Plenty to choose from, most of which are set around a large Beer hall.

Comments