Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast

150 Charoenraj Road,, Wat Gate,, Chiang Mai, 50000, Thailand

More about Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast

Enjoyed my stay at the Baan Orapin

Enjoyed staying here very much. Clean, comfortable and great value for the level of accommodation. Opas and Pepsi were really nice and very helpful. Stayed in the Deluxe Suite - large rooms, small balcony, four poster bed with surround mosquito nets etc. The room was even wallpapered one day whilst I was out! Location is just over the river, away from the constant bustle of Chiang Mai, but only a short five minute walk back into the action. For info, also went to the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School and did a three day course which was great and highly recommended.

Best in chiang mai !!!

by TripAdvisor Member tapnan

Baan Orapin is a beautiful B&B by Chiang Mai's Ping River. Very helpful staff. Unbelievable value, and great hospitality. Very clean rooms with balconies to enjoy the huge well kept garden. Their garden is also a wonderful space for a quiet stroll and a glass of wine at night.

The Baan Orapin is within walking distance of many Chiang Mai attractions. Red pickup taxis (songtaews) are always available for those who don't walk. If you come back after 10pm the owner provides you with a set of keys.

There was nothing we didn't like about the Baan orapin, and we would recommend it to other couples.

cute place, but not what we were expecting

by TripAdvisor Member rikaj

We stayed here on our honeymoon for 2 nights after reading the reviews on TA. We thought it would be nice to stay somewhere authentic that wasn't like the hotel chains, as we were doing that for the rest of our trip. While the reviews on this place did say the owners were really friendly (and they are), and the service is great (there is a really cute little guy who serves breakfasts), there were things we didn't read about that made it the wrong place to stay while on honeymoon.

This is a very cute little place, but it is on a busy street which is also quite dirty and there is no footpath to walk on. It is also amongst the neighbourhood, which in our case meant while we had booked the best room which was beautiful, we were woken both mornings at 2am and 4am by howling dogs (about 10 or 12)... which howled at times throughout the day as well. Breakfast was also very limited, and I guess after coming from Novotel Siam Square in Bangkok we were spoilt!

Baan Orapin is located near the good view and riverside bars which are fantastic at night, there are also some cute cafes along the river nearby that I would recommend also. Though, for a short tuc tuc ride across the river and back to a hotel in the city, you can enjoy the best of both worlds!

We felt terrible about checking out early of Baan Orapin as Opas (the owner) was so upset about the dogs waking us, and maybe if we were backpacking and staying in the really cheap rooms, this may not have bothered us. But for our honeymoon it wasn't really suitable.

Amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member lyss820

We stayed here in August of 2006. We reserved one of the suites, not the regular rooms. It was amazing. It's a bed and breakfast, the owners converted their expansive grounds into little villas. Amazing! Pepsi, the guy who took care of EVERYTHING, is absolutely the most helpful and kind person! Must stay here! A quick 10 minute walk into downtown Chiang Mai.. and a pleasant walk to boot!

Great base to rest up for a while

by TripAdvisor Member MattWaters

Having been on the road for some three months Baan Orapin proved to be the perfect place for us to spend some time resting up and exploring the delights of Chang Mai. Whilst it is true that the place might not be ideal for those people on their honeymoon for everyone else this place should prove to be a big hit. The rooms, and we have experienced the, so called, most basic and the larger suites are exactly what you need. They are fantastically maintained, wonderfully clean and not short of a little bit of luxury. The large four poster beds with ultra comfortable matress and bed linen make for a fantastic nights sleep. Add to this a well appointed bathroom, comfortable inside and outside sitting area, AC, fan and TV and you have everything you need for your stay.

Baan Orapin is also superbly positioned for guests to enjoy the city of Chang Mai as it is just a few minutes walk from both the main city and the superb restaurants dotted along the river.

If you need a place to stay in Chang Mai and are not interested in any of the budget places on offer or the more expensive hotel chains then this is the place for you. Superb value for money Baan Orapin is a great place to stay with friendly staff. We will look to stay here again should we return to Chang Mai.

Perfectly located in Chiang Mai

by TripAdvisor Member Canadiangg

Very historically and archetechtually interesting buildings enclosed in a private garden setting. Across the road from the river on one of Chiang Mai best roads with the best restaurants and shops just steps away. Restaurant across the river is one Hillary Clinton ate in on her visit. Whole neighbourhood is fabulous. Owner was educated in U.S. and very friendly and helpful. Good Staff. Great breakfast on veranda overlooking the garden. A 10 PLUS experience.

Location great but not what I was expecting

by TripAdvisor Member rgirn

My husband and I (in our early 30's) stayed in a suite in the front of the complex and chose this hotel based on reviews from another website. I guess I had higher expectations for the place and was a little let down.

To be fair the hotel is in a great location. We were in Chiang Mai during the Loy Kratong festival and staying at this hotel made the festival so much better for us because its location is right across the street from the river where a lot of the action was taking place. It was a bit noisy but it's an extremely important festival for Thai's so it should be expected.

The hotel is also very close to 3 highly recommended restaurants - the Gallery, the Riverside, and the Good View.

What I didn't like about the hotel was that it was a little too rustic for me. I guess I do like the big, clean hotels and not the rustic, local bed & breakfast. This was totally my fault - I knew what the hotel offered and saw pics of it but for some reason I thought I would like it. The rooms are super clean and the beds have mosquito netting around them.

Opas, the owner of the hotel, is really great. The rooms don't have alarm clocks in them and we had a really early flight so he leant us his alarm clock and called a taxi ahead of time so we wouldn't be waiting outside the gate hoping for a taxi to come around.

Hope this review helps.

Spurned Guest

by TripAdvisor Member pattayaal

OK. I didn't stay at Baan Orapin. I made a confirmed reservation by e-mail. Direct to the hotel. Upon arrival, I was told that Orapin had given my room to a guest who wanted to extend his stay. Not a mix up. Orapin just couldn't be 100% sure that I would come and pay.

STAY HERE....ITS WONDERFUL

by TripAdvisor Member boltonspacers

My girlfriend and I stayed her for 2 nights in early november, and I haven't a bad word to say about the place.

We stayed in a Jr Suite room, 2100 Bht a night and the room was lovely, nice big bed, crisp clean bed linen, spacious bathroom, cabtle tv and remote control air-con.

Opas was more than helpful, on a number of occasions he went out of his way to help us. Recommending and booking a room for us in Pai (which was also great). Pepsi was also fantastic, so polite and helpful.

If i went back to Chaing Mai again I wouldn't look at anywhere else to stay. This place is nicely located, near the river footbridge and has plenty of drinking and eating options locally. Plus the included breakfast was great!!!

Thank you so much Opas for a lovely stay.....

Hidden gem

by TripAdvisor Member jylland

My friend and I stayed at this beautiful little place for four weeks Nov. - Dec. 2006. In fact we are still here and hate the thought of having to leave soon.
Baan Orapin has stylish rooms/suites - and I do not mean Hilton or Sheraton - stylish, but down to earth accommodation with a lot of personality and soul. No plastic, but solid, old teak wood, good beds, comfortable furniture - and it is clean, impeccably clean all over. Even the beautiful, tropical garden is trimmed every morning!
Opas, the owner, is marvellous and always there for his guests. And Pepsi, who among other things takes care of the breakfast area, is so kind and polite. And so are the girls cleaning the rooms. After a few days you feel like belonging to a family.
Opas is building a new wing right now, thus giving a few more people the opportunity of enjoying the place and its unique atmosphere.
We certainly plan to come back!
Sven-Erik Hansen,