BeenthereDonethat

81/1 Moo6 Klongcholpratarn road, Suthep district, Chiang Mai, 50200, Thailand

More about Chiang Mai

In a huge aviaryIn a huge aviary

Night Market Food StallsNight Market Food Stalls

hawkers along the streethawkers along the street

OrchidOrchid

Mae Hon Son travel advice

by mesh68

Hi all there,
If I arrive without any accomodation reservation into C/M (as my arrival flight is already purchased), would it be very risky to obtain accomodation for lets say 2 days since it is festival season there. I read about Mae hon son. I planned to go there after my arrival in C/M. Any ideas about how to plan the trip there from C/M? Like, by flight or bus better or it is better to take a guided tour from C/M. Is it a worth trip to go there? If worth, would 3 days be too long or short in Mae Hon Son? If it is not difficult to go there, which hotel or area i should stay?

My next question, is getting train from C/M to Bangkok full next month? If not full where can I book now itself?
Need further advice.

RE: Mae Hon Son travel advice

by wendo

Although my travels start next month, I have booked my railway passage with www.traveller2000.com which has good reviews. We also booked a plane ticket to Mae Hong Son with Nok Air which was about $26 U.S. (I booked it a few weeks ago), but there are still cheaper flights especially if you don't have a lot of luggage and book economy.

I also booked my hotel ahead of time since I wasn't sure how busy it would be although when I tried a few places, they were already booked (Dec. 25 time period).

Our plan was going to Soppong (half-way between Mae Hong Son and Pai) via Pai by bus, stay in Soppong where there's a lot of caves and trekking and then take a kayak trip or else bus to Mae Hong Son where we'll fly out. We're going to be here for about 5 days but it depends what you're interests are. The scenary is supposed to be really good on the bus but be warned that there are a lot of curves, so if you're prone to moton sickness, you wouldn't want to be on a bus for 7 hours. Pai is about half-way.

For more info on the Soppong area, here's a link that has a lot of info. www.cavelodge.com

I've noticed that it's much, much cheaper if you make your way down on your own rather than start with a tour company in Chiang Mai. As an example, you could pay 6900 baht for a two-day rafting trip which includes your transportation to Pai and flight back from Mae Hong Son, and I think one night's accommodation. If you arrange your trip to Pai, it's about 2100 baht for the rafting portion.

Travel Tips for Chiang Mai

Tips for bargaining in Thailand

by iNorv9

Bargaining is part of the culture in Thailand. The vast majority of markets and small stores not only allow it, but expect it. That said, there here are some quick tips to get you started:

1) You can usually take about 30-50% of the original offer, so make your first offer below that range. This gives the impression of compromise when you eventually go up a little.

2) Be patient: You may have to invest a couple minutes of negotiation and walk away once or twice.

3) Shop around a bit first: Try to gauge the going market price to when you make your offer.

4) Learn some basic Thai: it makes you seem a little more cultured and less like a free spending tourist.

5) Most importantly, SMILE: Smiling is crucial - in Thailand it?s a sign of respect and shows that you're interested in having a civilized business conversation.

Good bargaining takes practice. You may strike out the first few times, but stick with it and you?ll get some great deals.

Good Place for Gold

by Pat&ZoAnn

As this trip was to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, we decided to buy new wedding rings, with our name written in Thai.

There were a lot of gold shops, mostly just kiosks beside the street. Because we were leaving Chiang Mai in a brief time, we had to find a shop that would make them in a short time.

None of the shops were willing to send them to us in Canada, we had to pick them up. Gold prices here were very reasonable.

Ever-popular Thai national mass transport - TukTuk

by June.b

Tuk-Tuk or Duk-Duk or Tuc-Tuc, whatever, as long as it sounds like a double UK sound -- is the national mass transport of Thailand and it's the fastest and convenient way to move around Chiang Mai.

The local people pay less - from a minimum of 20baht, while foreign tourists pay from 50 upto 80 for the nearest destination. But when you get the hang of it, you get to start paying at least 40baht. It's fast and safe though you get to endure sometimes the smoke belchers around.

From my guesthouse near the Night Bazaar to my massage school near the Central Airport Plaza, I hired this good-mannered middle-aged man who charges me 60 baht one-way everyday for more than a week. Coming back from the school, a friend is taking me to the guesthouse at the back of her motorbike.

From inside the old city to the train station costs 80baht, but you could always bargain. They are also an "information" source of anything tourists or local.

Lovely atmosphere

by trisanna about Antique House

I have been to this restaurant twice. Located near the night market and the Ping river. Great thai food-lots of curries, lop and other dishes.

Restaurant has a nice garden area. The highlight being an antique teak house. In the evenings-there is a guitarist/singer in the garden.

Wat Chedi Luang

by PS_Lee81

I think this should be the main landmak in Chiang Mail old city as it is the biggest monument you can find. Nothing actually special about this wat except it is really huge and very old. People might find other wats more attractive because there seems like no renovation or upgrading works on this wat. But what you are getting will be the real wat aging thru the centuries since it was built.

There are about 4 Buddha statues in the wat which are located high above the ground level. You cannot go up as it was fenced up. Besides that, there are also a few big elephant statues surrounding the wat. Some of them are missing or damaged. Then one side of the wat was also destroyed, might happened during the Burmese invasion long long ago as Chiang Mai will be the closest city to Burma (Myanmar).

I believe there used to be a water canal surrounding the wat when it was first designed. However, it is now filled with grasses and what you can see is only dried up canal.

At the backyard, you can fine the statue of 2 monks and sleeping Buddha. You are very welcome to chat with the local monks as they are very happy to chat wi you. You can ask them anything about the Buddhist religion, monks' life, Chiang Mai's history, etc...

Comments